Why become a member? ×

Moment of madness

AdamWoodBass

Ok so I'm fancying a bit of a change gear wise. I really looooooooove Markbass stuff, so much so I'm considering selling on my Warwick rig to get a little mark II and a 4x10. I'm wondering what my rig's worth for like trade/sale value. The line up is a Warwick ProTube IV (2 channels, 400watt solid state with a 2 stage tube preamp, sounds the dogs danglies!) and a Wawrick neo 4x10. The head is in really good nick as its been in a gator rack case since I got it, the cab has a couple of small scuffs and tears on the carpet and a few chips on the warwick badge (from loading/unloading etc). Ok so bare in mind the cab is worth about £460ish new and when the head was on the market (it was discontinued in about 1999 I think) it had an rrp of about £950ish what do we reckon would be a fair price to be looking at flogging the old war horse for?

Like I said I'm not 100% on this yet because I really love my warwick, I just really fancy a Markbass rig cos everything I've seen/heard from markbass has been nothing short of gorgeous!

Cheers me dears!

Adam

I think its going to be very hit and miss with the warwick stuff, Some people love it, some people cant stand it.
however the actual items in question arnt what you normally see on sale warwick wise, so you should get a fair price, im a bit reluctant to give you figures but probably around 350 for the cab and 500 for the head? Im no expert, Just spend too much time lurking ebay!

[quote name='ste_m3' post='21935' date='Jun 22 2007, 02:55 PM']I think its going to be very hit and miss with the warwick stuff, Some people love it, some people cant stand it.
however the actual items in question arnt what you normally see on sale warwick wise, so you should get a fair price, im a bit reluctant to give you figures but probably around 350 for the cab and 500 for the head? Im no expert, Just spend too much time lurking ebay![/quote]

Haha I know that feeling far too well! My bank really hates me! Thats the sort of figures I was kinda thinking but I just wondered if that would be percieved as a "fair" price.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='21943' date='Jun 22 2007, 03:03 PM']I think that says it all!

Alex[/quote]

Yeah this is true. To be honest though in the space of time since I posted this about half an hour ago I've realised that I need to forget the head 4x10 idea cos I want portablity. Lugging a 4x10 and head around just isn't fun! Plus I'm hoping to go down to London next year to continue studying so a "rig" just won't be practical! Just been looking at the Markbass 102 combo and had a massive GAS attack!

It may help you get a price in perspective; I sold the 900 watt BIG brother to your head at the beginning of this year and IIRC I got £400 for it.

Consider that any one looking for a 400 - 500 watt head is also going to think 'hmmm a 'new' MB head will cost me £500 or I can buy this 2nd hand Warwick for £???'.

Sadly, you do realistically have to consider what you can get for you money now rather than what you paid for your amp 8 years ago. It may have cost the thick end of almost a grand but now you can get 500 watt heads from most manufacturers for about half that price. The very reason that you are thinking of selling might be the same reason that other people 'may' not want your amp.

However, there are exceptions to every rule and a quality valve amp will always retain a good chunk of its value due to its die hard legion of fans and there will always be a market for good quality solid state amps (which yours is), you just have to accept that the value [b]may[/b] be lower than the usual anticipated 50% of retail.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='22254' date='Jun 23 2007, 09:02 AM']It may help you get a price in perspective; I sold the 900 watt BIG brother to your head at the beginning of this year and IIRC I got £400 for it.

Consider that any one looking for a 400 - 500 watt head is also going to think 'hmmm a 'new' MB head will cost me £500 or I can buy this 2nd hand Warwick for £???'.

Sadly, you do realistically have to consider what you can get for you money now rather than what you paid for your amp 8 years ago. It may have cost the thick end of almost a grand but now you can get 500 watt heads from most manufacturers for about half that price. The very reason that you are thinking of selling might be the same reason that other people 'may' not want your amp.

However, there are exceptions to every rule and a quality valve amp will always retain a good chunk of its value due to its die hard legion of fans and there will always be a market for good quality solid state amps (which yours is), you just have to accept that the value [b]may[/b] be lower than the usual anticipated 50% of retail.[/quote]

very wise words mate. Sadly I am aware that I'll probably end up making a huge loss on this rig but sometimes you've got to bite the bullet right? What can I say, at the time it I got it it was perfect for my requirements (rock covers) but now I need something a bit more portable cos I'm getting busier and busier playing wise. Still I've got pleanty of time to think about what I'm gonna do with it so theres no real rush! So do we reckon about £800 would be a reasonable price for the full rig?

Adam