Why become a member? ×

Entrance Music

Dropzone

We normally have entrance music. Have used Camen Burunda before and a few other bits. It is time for a change and wondered if anyone had any suggestions for some great uplifting or atmospheric music to start the gig off on the right foot.

Please no suggestions of Lifted by the Lighthouse Family ;-)

We are a metal band.

Just wondering if anyone had anything they had heard and thought "that would be a great into for a band"

Thanks in advance

Mike

Unless a band comes on and launches straight into their opener from the entrance music I've never seen the point. Having something gee up the crowd only to have the pause take them down again while leads are plugged, tuning adjustments made, hi-hats tested etc makes it a non-entrance.

Assuming your band doesn't do that are you looking for impact, obscure but tasteful (good call with Carmen btw), contrast or a mixture of everything?

Rather than music, how about a collage of sounds. That way, you don't have to work to any musical cues.

Y'know, bassy-synth rumbles, chainsaw, snippets from Presidential broadcasts, breaking glass, ice cream van arriving at 70mph (* [size=3]BBC Sound Effects LP #4[/size]).

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1366393359' post='2052074']
Rather than music, how about a collage of sounds. That way, you don't have to work to any musical cues.

Y'know, bassy-synth rumbles, chainsaw, snippets from Presidential broadcasts, breaking glass, ice cream van arriving at 70mph (* [size=3]BBC Sound Effects LP #4[/size]).
[/quote]

Otherwise known in the business as 'doing a Pink Floyd' :)

I agree with the suggestion of making something new yourselves. If it's totally unique it will be instantly recognisable as YOUR band being about to play. I've heard bands use pre-recorded speeches, snippets from movies, classical music, drones, feedback, weird atmospheric sounds, air raid sirens, gunfire, explosions, screams, or a combination!

Rock band I played with a while back used songs from the film 300. Have a listen to some samples because if I recall you could use just about any song off the album [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Motion-Picture-Soundtrack-Version/dp/B001F5VKZI/ref=sr_shvl_album_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366396629&sr=301-1"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Motion-Picture-Soundtrack-Version/dp/B001F5VKZI/ref=sr_shvl_album_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366396629&sr=301-1[/url]

One old band worked our way through a compilation album of TV themes. The A-Team was good, but a personal highlight was coming on to the Fresh Prince Of Bel Air theme and the singer spontaneously leading a crowd singalong before launching straight into our loudest, fastest tune.

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1366397418' post='2052153']
One old band worked our way through a compilation album of TV themes. The A-Team was good, but a personal highlight was coming on to the Fresh Prince Of Bel Air theme and the singer spontaneously leading a crowd singalong before launching straight into our loudest, fastest tune.
[/quote]

The problem with adopting that approach is that when you're young, the theme from Hawaii Five O is fab, but you've got to face reality and concede that you'll eventually enter the 'Coronation Street years'... :(

I remember one my first live music experiences. The band entered in darkness, played the 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 countdown from Thunderbirds & immediately launched into some high energy punky anthem. Brilliant.....but I was 14!

Soundtracks are a particularly fertile source of this sort of grandiose and often dark music - The Terminator and Dark Knight soundtracks for example.

Or you could go for a bit of Wiseblood or The Gerogerigegege. If nothing else they'll be dead happy when you finally come on. :lol:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnewjLU2TSM[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxY3LYeCTng[/youtube]

Whatever you pick don't let it run on too long.

There's nothing less interesting than an empty stage with the intro music going on and on and the audience waiting for something to happen.

Also work out at what point you need to get on stage so that you are ready to start the first song the moment the intro stops, but so you're not stood about looking and feeling stupid waiting for it to end.

If you are going to compose your own intro piece, a smart move would be for it to be in the same tempo and key as the opening song. That way you can start at any point while it is still running, the drummer can use it to count off from and the PA engineer can either kill it dead on the first live note or let it run under the intro without it sounding out of tune.