Why become a member? ×

What other roles do you play?

basstheface

We are all united in our love of bass but I was wondering what other roles we play in our bands. For example, I also organise the band (rehearsals, diary etc), deal with all the publicity and websites, get some of the gigs and sing backing vocals and introduce most of the songs during gigs. Very often we do so much more than just turn up and play bass eg we can be publicists, agents, vocalists, leaders, arrangers, advisors and sometimes counsellors! So, what other roles do you play?

I think it's a common thread among bass players, or at least the ones I know, we seem to be rather well organised. I arrange rehearsals (when we need them), route planner, maintain the web site, maintain the social media presence, link it all together, record gigs/rehearsals....or maybe I'm just a bit anal ;-)

I thought it was just me!
In all my bands I seem to be the one who gets everyone together, organises rehearsals & gigs etc, makes adverts, flyers & logos, writes the songs (apart from most of the lyrics, but I tend to write the melody for them).

In The Daves I organise the rehearsals.

In The Tuesday Club I look after the sound/liaising with venues re soundchecks/anyone who is filming/recording etc. I look after getting costings/quotes for works/accomodation/vehicles as well. I also tend to add/make changes to arrangements of songs. I`ve never been a good song-writer, but I`m quite good at adding little extra flourishes to something that is already there.

Yup, me too...I'm effectively the 'band leader' for want of a better term. Organise and run the rehearsals, get the gigs, do the website, write about 50% of the music etc etc... most of it I really enjoy, apart from organising gigs - I wish the others would help me out with that side a bit more.

Remarkably little so far in the current band. I've offered to improve the sound by dusting off my midi pedals to add a bit of keyboard sounds. However we never get enough stage area to make that practically feasible (I don't even get enough room for my monitor so I'm providing bv's with absolutely no idea what they sound like out front) so I've had to put that on hold. I've suggested new songs to try but the band never seems to rehearse to actually work up new material. I've been sent emails to give input on a new band website and to check the band's google diary. All emails so far have been lacking vital information to actually allow me to see the sites. I send emails back pointing out the errors in the emails sent to me but then nothing seems to get done to rectify it.

Waiting for Happy Jack to post his long list... :D :lol: :P
Yours truly doesn't play in a band but enjoys helping with the roadying for friends, taking (lots of) photos and videos of their gigs, keeping an eye on their social media if needed, and offering her (hopefully informed) opinion of performances, recordings etc. if/when asked.

Yes I agree that its a common thing among bassists.

Fortunately I have palmed off organising practices to my singer, who's happy to sort it out. And now palmed off main gig acquisition to our new drummer (he has better contacts).

Now I just have all the technical stuff. Like Recording, promotion, flyers, facebook, soundcloud and structuring practice time.

I find the other bodies for the band apart from the drummer who I started the band with. And finding band mates via Gumtree and all the rest is bloomin stressful. Luckily the singer and drummer have lots of contacts and are facebook savy so I can leave it up to them now and kick back.

We are a 5 piece so share roles and 99% of the extras are split between
me, the singer and gtr...and we even put a split of the kitty against this work.

It is a fact of life that certain roles are easy for some and others may just not have the time
or energy to devote. Home duties would trump any band duties so you have to respect that
or the band will be forever putting out fires..

The least that any member should be prepared to do is sell a gig from time to time...and by that
I mean, if they rounded up a few friends to help out the numbers.
If very member brought 2 couples then that is 20 odd through the door and in the beginning this is most important.

As long as people are willing to chip in with load-ins and general usefulness, this little effort goes a long way.
Just as much as we don't want to carry a musical passenger, we don't want a slacker to hold back or antagonise
things elsewhere either.

[indent=1]taxi driver, technical director (guitars, amps, PA and recording kit), and tea boy (we're so rock and roll that we start each rehersal with mugs of tea and biscuits)[/indent]

[indent=1]the singer/guitarist covers the rest, our drummer is notoriously disorganised although he did a top job of being my best man![/indent]

[indent=1]Matt[/indent]

Our drummer _tries_ to do everything. We reign him in.
I typically do posters, and contracts etc. Basically printing/ editing documents, and sending them off. I usually also set up the sound system, in part. Our drummer is a sound engineer by profession, but his kit is so absurdly big, I usually set most of it up and let him faff around after he's done.

Keys player is a builder -> has van -> transports gear + 2 people. I usually collect our singer from a train station somewhere to go whereever we're going.

Edited by gapiro

Writer of most of the music, graphic designer, equipment technician. Mr Venom does all the band organisational stuff like fixing rehearsals and organising gigs.

I have been the position in previous bands where I did absolutely everything except play the other instruments, and I am in no hurry to repeat that experience.

Most of us have our 'other' roles. Currently:

me: driver & facebook page admin
guitarist: tour manager and booking agent
drummer: finance
singer: books rehearsals, webiste co-ordinator & facebook page admin
keyboardist: caterer & Facebook page admin

Edited by Twigman