Why become a member? ×

New Black Sabbath song "God is Dead"

chrismuzz

I've listened to this at least ten times today and it's getting better and better
[quote name='megallica' timestamp='1366391170' post='2052054']
Cant say I hear any similarities in those two albums the metallica disc is an over produced sell out while dehumanizer is dark and raw sounding.

If I was looking for a commercial sabbath album itd be never say die or seventh star

There are a few good tracks on metallicas fifth album but the direction from justice to the black album seemed a bit like abandoning their past for an mtv friendly sound
[/quote]

On this subject , it's interesting to hear that some Metallica fans think that Black album was sellout because to me as a casual listener and not a fan of Metallica's music , it's still way too heavy to be commercial . Except for the tracks released as singles ( that are still very heavy by most standards ) that album is not very mainstream - accessible to my ears . You folks must want it [u]very[/u] heavy if you see that album as a sellout .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Lynottfan' timestamp='1366406341' post='2052352']
I like the song but I would much rather have had Ronnie James singing it, Ozzy bless him still has something left, but i'm not sure what it is lol.
[/quote]

Woah, I just imagined how it would have sounded with Dio's voice.... :gas:

After reading some of my pals comments on Facebook I had fairly low expectations for this, but liked it - not a patch on their early stuff, but a good solid track, keeping with the Metallica analogy I can see this album being their Death Magnetic - a decent album with some good songs but nothing you'd call a classic.

Lovely bass sound though, I assume it's Lakland / Hartke

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1366440985' post='2052584']
After reading some of my pals comments on Facebook I had fairly low expectations for this, but liked it - not a patch on their early stuff, but a good solid track, keeping with the Metallica analogy I can see this album being their Death Magnetic - a decent album with some good songs but nothing you'd call a classic.

Lovely bass sound though, I assume it's Lakland / Hartke
[/quote]

I think Geezer used a selection of vintage Fenders for this album , but no doubt he will be using his Laklands on the road .

Better quality version without the radio announcements:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVfUimq2KeI[/media]

Shame you can get it via iTunes at the moment.

Anybody know what bass Geezer is playing on the new album? Sounds like a growly Precision pickup.

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1366466855' post='2052944']
Better quality version without the radio announcements:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVfUimq2KeI[/media]

Shame you can get it via iTunes at the moment.

Anybody know what bass Geezer is playing on the new album? Sounds like a growly Precision pickup.
[/quote]

On the Youtube footage of Geezer in the studio recording this album he has got a selection of several vintage Fender Precisions and Jazz Basses to choose from . Sounds very much like a P Bass on this track to me .

Just had a proper listen. I liked it, excellent mix and it's always a joy to hear Geezer properly ripping. Strange song to release first maybe, it's a very slow burner. Bu despite all this, I can't help feeling it sounds more like an Ozzy solo track than real Sabbath. Or more accurately, Sabbath trying to sound like what people expect them to. Make sense? Thought not... :rolleyes: I'll still buy the album though.

ill have to have another listen i didnt really like it.....ive only ever liked the first 10 albums of sabbath...dio....gillan.....tony martin....nah!!!
my trivia...
tony iommi used to live down my road.....
my dads cousin used to be a pisshead around aston and newtown birmingham with jimmy butler....
my mom was friends with geezers sisters.....victoria rd/vicarage rd aston were close communities...
i worked for some one whos brother was tour manager for sabbath/ozzy and was a sleep in the tour bus wich the plane randy rhodes was killed in clipped...
my bands last album was produced by some one who was taught by rick ruben how to produce!!
my guitarest worked for metallica during justice for all/garage inc era!!!
lol ill stop now....!!!!

[quote name='thunderider' timestamp='1366474006' post='2053044']
ill have to have another listen i didnt really like it.....ive only ever liked the first 10 albums of sabbath...dio....gillan.....tony martin....nah!!!
my trivia...
tony iommi used to live down my road.....
my dads cousin used to be a pisshead around aston and newtown birmingham with jimmy butler....
my mom was friends with geezers sisters.....victoria rd/vicarage rd aston were close communities...
i worked for some one whos brother was tour manager for sabbath/ozzy and was a sleep in the tour bus wich the plane randy rhodes was killed in clipped...
my bands last album was produced by some one who was taught by rick ruben how to produce!!
my guitarest worked for metallica during justice for all/garage inc era!!!
lol ill stop now....!!!!
[/quote]

Yeah , that's nice , but like I mentioned earlier , I've got a bit of Tony Iommi's Ford Cortina at home ( Tony gave me it when I was twelve years old ) . Cortina wins every time .

Edited by Dingus

I wouldn't think it so, but it sounds like an Ibby 5 string.

Personally, I feel as if Sabbath have been copying themselves since the second album. (The first album is a masterpiece). Now, they're older and trying to add a little modern sensibility to their sound and it's just boring to me.