Why become a member? ×

Anyone know why DV seem to have stopped stocking Fender?

Twigman

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1368450227' post='2077163']
Course they will. And then they'll celebrate with a KFC and spill a load of that horrible sauce on their Primark shirt from Bangladesh. Most people don't give a flying sh*t about ethical purchasing if they can save a few bob or a few minutes.
[/quote]

"Ethical purchasing" can be a funny thing, depending on where it's viewed from.

Eg - food miles. It's widely assumed to be 'a good thing' to buy local produce . . . but what if the local tomatoes have been grown in local heated glasshouses instead of in a naturally hot climate and flown here instead. Are low food miles still ethical if the embedded energy content is higher than the equivalent item flown in from abroad? Is it 'ethical' to actually eat anything that can't be grown locally? But where would that leave us in the UK regarding citrus fruits, for example?

Eg - cheap clothing. It's widely assumed to be 'a bad thing' to buy cheap clothes made by 14 year olds halfway around the world. But again, the carbon footprint of those cheap clothes - even allowing for transportation - is going to be far lower than expansive clothes made in the west but highly paid (in comparison) workers who drive to work in modern factories and go home to centrally heated homes with all the lastest high-embedded energy 'lifestyle' applicances we all love in the west.

Eg - loads of similar examples borne out of the fact that we're all living the high-energy good life at the expense of poorer regions of the world, yet there isn't enough wealth (=energy) to provide 7 billion people with our luxurious lifestyle.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1368456565' post='2077272']
"Ethical purchasing" can be a funny thing, depending on where it's viewed from.

Eg - food miles. It's widely assumed to be 'a good thing' to buy local produce . . . but what if the local tomatoes have been grown in local heated glasshouses instead of in a naturally hot climate and flown here instead. Are low food miles still ethical if the embedded energy content is higher than the equivalent item flown in from abroad? Is it 'ethical' to actually eat anything that can't be grown locally? But where would that leave us in the UK regarding citrus fruits, for example?

Eg - cheap clothing. It's widely assumed to be 'a bad thing' to buy cheap clothes made by 14 year olds halfway around the world. But again, the carbon footprint of those cheap clothes - even allowing for transportation - is going to be far lower than expansive clothes made in the west but highly paid (in comparison) workers who drive to work in modern factories and go home to centrally heated homes with all the lastest high-embedded energy 'lifestyle' applicances we all love in the west.

Eg - loads of similar examples borne out of the fact that we're all living the high-energy good life at the expense of poorer regions of the world, yet there isn't enough wealth (=energy) to provide 7 billion people with our luxurious lifestyle.
[/quote]

I'm thinking more about animal and human welfare conditions, but you make a good argument regarding the global warming / CO2 emissions aspects and impacts.

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1368453086' post='2077217']
just posted on facespace

[b][url="http://www.dv247.com/news/DV247%20Is%20Not%20In%20Administration/133450"]http://www.dv247.com...stration/133450[/url][/b]
[/quote]
[quote name='MadisonSounds' timestamp='1368457093' post='2077281']
Hi, here's the official statement from DV247:
[url="http://www.dv247.com/news/DV247%20Is%20Not%20In%20Administration/133450"]http://www.dv247.com...stration/133450[/url]
[/quote]

LOL, I think someone needs to read a few posts first before posting..

Cheap will always trump ethics...
but in this case, I would like to think I wouldn't touch the company in the OP
but then, again, this is not unknown practice and it may be hard to keep track of
what happens through the life-time of a company.

if truth be told there probably isnt a large household name company that hasnt resorted to 'morally dubious' business practices on occasion - if you were to try and boycott them youd probably need to be fulltime self employed researching the subject <_< id imagine that the ones with top notch integrity are probably very few and far between

Chap who i used to deal with at DV lost his job with all of this going on. I had great service from him, so im sure he will get a job with another firm very soon. Seems the firm themselves dont have a lot of scruples though.

[quote name='Stag' timestamp='1368465348' post='2077416']
Chap who i used to deal with at DV lost his job with all of this going on. I had great service from him, so im sure he will get a job with another firm very soon. Seems the firm themselves dont have a lot of scruples though.
[/quote]
not many do, ive been around directors who have done the same syphon money out run up bills they cant pay and fold up, and almost all of them have said "its just business" its a shame a swift kick to the nuts isnt considered good business :P

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1368607431' post='2079020']
DV's response:
[url="http://www.dv247.com/news/DV247%20Is%20Not%20In%20Administration/133450"]http://www.dv247.com...stration/133450[/url]
[/quote]

Yep, already posted twice ;-)

Messy thread.

Edited by dave_bass5