Why become a member? ×

GK MB Series

Ed_S

Hi all,

A couple of months ago, I bought a GK MB200 on the grounds that 'hey, it's so cheap and small, I might as well give it a try' and somewhat irritatingly (for my wallet, at least), with everything set to 12 o'clock, it's turned out to be one of those sounds I've had in my head for years but never been able to quite achieve.

My question is, if I want the same sound but more volume, where do I go in the MB range? On paper the 500 seems a sensible bet, but what about the fusion and 800, and even 800 fusion; do they have the same basic tone as the 200 just with more features to play with, or is the 200 one on its own because of the 'stripped back' nature of what it is? Is what I'm listening to just GK in general and everything they do will hit the spot?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

The MB500 is incredibly powerful, as is the MB Fusion 500. My preference is the Fusion 500 as, due to the pre-amp valves, the sound is a lot thicker, but still undeniably GK.

That said, if the MB200 is giving you the sound you`ve always wanted, as the MB500 is essentially the same amp (from what i`ve read) but more powerful, why not take advantage of distant selling regs and order the 500, see if it`s what you want - if not, send back. even if you have to pay postage to return, with the weight of them it`s not the worst deal in the world.

I have a GK MBFusion 500 and it sounds perfect with everything flat, contour at about 9pm and a smidge of low mid boost. Channel 2 has a slightly thicker valvey sound and Channel 1 is a bit more traditional GK sounding.
Highly recommended.

What speakers do you want to drive with your amp?

The MB800 is a very powerful amp, and unless you drive multiple cabinets, might be too powerful.
I test drove an MB800 recently (through a 212 speaker), and found it is not needed for
a single 212.....

Cheers guys..

My cabs are Super 12, Midget and Markbass 104HR (not all at the same time, obviously!) so can all take a decent level of power - the 800 included. My concern with the 800 was the possible difference in sound the power section may introduce, and my concern with the fusions was that the tubes may actually damage what I find appealing about the 200.

The 500 is certainly not expensive in the grand scheme of things and is looking very appealing for being the 200 in bigger bunches.. I just don't want to pass on the chance of the 800 if the different power section doesn't change the basic tone.

[quote name='Ed_S' timestamp='1366280237' post='2050393']

My concern with the 800 was the possible difference in sound the power section may introduce, and my concern with the fusions was that the tubes may actually damage what I find appealing about the 200.

[/quote]

Use the MB200 as a pre-amp and take the line out into a good quality power amp. I'm sure you could borrow one to try it and see if it does what you need.

I have a MB Fusion and a MB200 and like them both. I'm not sure how close they are tonally, I tend to use them in very different environments. I seem to remember reading a thread on Talkbass where someone was saying that the MB200 is quite different to all the other MB series amps.

[quote name='Kirky' timestamp='1366286963' post='2050496']
I seem to remember reading a thread on Talkbass where someone was saying that the MB200 is quite different to all the other MB series amps.
[/quote]

Hmm, interesting. I have the MB200 and am thinking about upgrading in terms of power as well. If you happen to have a link to the TB thread, please post it.

TomBowlus says something [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/gk-mb-200-part-two-849259/index7.html#post12324246"]here[/url] but I'm sure I can remember more - probably in that very long thread or the earlier one (link in post 1).

[quote name='Kirky' timestamp='1366319632' post='2051149']
TomBowlus says something [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/gk-mb-200-part-two-849259/index7.html#post12324246"]here[/url] but I'm sure I can remember more - probably in that very long thread or the earlier one (link in post 1).
[/quote]

Thanks, much appreciated!

I bought an MB200 back in 2011 and fell in love with it, so much so that in Oct 2011 I bought an MB500. It was a great amp but I felt it was a bit harsher than the 200 - I think the 200 has really nice soft compression/limiting on the power amp stage which makes a difference. So I sold the 500 and bought an MBFusion instead. Haven't looked back, amazingly versatile amp and the 200 serves as a fantastic back up/small gig amp. TBH through the Super12 the 200 can hold its own on many gigs

I regularly gig an MB500 and 1x12 neo cab with electric and double. Its not quite the sound im after but it performs really well and i can get some really good tones from it. Plenty of power for all my needs. I've never really used the 2nd channel though. Don't dig the sound of it.

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1366281724' post='2050412']
Use the MB200 as a pre-amp and take the line out into a good quality power amp. I'm sure you could borrow one to try it and see if it does what you need.
[/quote]

I've got a couple of Crown XLS1500s that serve double duty as PA / bass power amps, but even they, as light as they are, seem to defeat the point of the micro-head and single lightweight cab. I might give it a try at some point, but I'd be happier if I didn't need to cart a rack case with me.

[quote name='Kirky' timestamp='1366286963' post='2050496']
I have a MB Fusion and a MB200 and like them both. I'm not sure how close they are tonally, I tend to use them in very different environments. I seem to remember reading a thread on Talkbass where someone was saying that the MB200 is quite different to all the other MB series amps.
[/quote]

That's what I was concerned over.. seems I was probably at least partially right to be.

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1366402513' post='2052282']
I bought an MB200 back in 2011 and fell in love with it, so much so that in Oct 2011 I bought an MB500. It was a great amp but I felt it was a bit harsher than the 200 - I think the 200 has really nice soft compression/limiting on the power amp stage which makes a difference. So I sold the 500 and bought an MBFusion instead. Haven't looked back, amazingly versatile amp and the 200 serves as a fantastic back up/small gig amp. TBH through the Super12 the 200 can hold its own on many gigs
[/quote]

Looks like I need to work out just exactly what it is about the sound of the 200 that I like rather than just grinning at it :rolleyes: ...but it's so hard to actually describe. A big part of it is the 'attack' it has; if you play precisely and cleanly, it'll fire notes like bullets, but do it effortlessly and always be there waiting for the next. My Markbass LM800, as much as I like it, isn't as 'quick'. And there's that 'grind' (without it actually being overdrive) that matches up so well with the passive P's I play. And the way that it sounds like it's both sat back in the mix yet also completely present at the same time, without ever being too loud. It really is a whole load of things I've been looking for for a long time and everyone I've played with since having it has offered the same kind of enthusiasm without prompting, so it's not just me convincing myself because I want to; they know I go through gear like rain and don't feel in any way compelled to blow sunshine at any of it!!

I completely agree about the 200 being enough for most gigs btw, and it wouldn't exactly be a massive hardship to take my LM800 as a backup / extra firepower if needed (it's certainly not lacking), but if there's a little box out there that can do what the MB200 does, just with 3-500W more tonk, I want it! Maybe it is just a case of taking advantage of the distance selling regs, ordering a 500 and an 800 (I don't [i]think[/i] I need the tubes) and sending one back...

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1366486011' post='2053205']
Whereabouts are you? I have two weeks of no gigs if you wanted to give the MB Fusion a go. Assuming you're nearby!
[/quote]

That's really kind of you, Merton - really appreciate the offer. Sadly we're about 200 miles away from each other as the Google calculates (not found a crow yet this morning to ask) so not really nearby! :)

After watching some more reviews and thinking seriously about how much I need 800W and how much use I'd get out of all the push-button light-up stuff, I think I'm going towards just ordering myself the straight 500 to try. Hmmmm.. get paid on Monday :ph34r:

I can't say whether the mb500 will have exactly the sound you want but imo it does the quick attack thing you mentioned.

Possibly to do with the upper mids?

And I really like its drive sound too.

Edited by rOB

I agree re the upper mids (and the lower mids). I had a 700RB combo before the MB Fusion / MB200 and I'm sure its the 4 band tone control that gives all of these amps the great sound they have. To Ed S, I' going to be in Sheffield in the evening of 10 May and could possible let you have the MB Fusion to try for a couple of hours - get in touch if you're interested.

[quote name='Kirky' timestamp='1366531422' post='2053464']
I agree re the upper mids (and the lower mids). I had a 700RB combo before the MB Fusion / MB200 and I'm sure its the 4 band tone control that gives all of these amps the great sound they have. To Ed S, I' going to be in Sheffield in the evening of 10 May and could possible let you have the MB Fusion to try for a couple of hours - get in touch if you're interested.
[/quote]

Cheers for the offer, Kirky - sadly I'll be out gigging in Selby that evening (BotB type thing for a slot on the unsigned stage at Bloodstock - should be a laugh!) and knowing me, as I should by now, I'll probably have ordered the 500 by then :)

I've scanned the post quickly, so apologies if it has already been mentioned. The MB800 has a different preamp to that of the other MB series heads. It is an all FET signal path which I believe is like the ole 800RB heads. It has been suggested that it reacts a bit more like a valve preamp. I find that the drive is a real soft saturation which sounds nice just before it gets 'angry'. Clean settings are dynamic and great sounding all the way up the dial. It's also REALLY loud!

• 6 months later...

[quote name='Clarky72' timestamp='1384855480' post='2281409']
Has anyone tried the MB Fusion 800, and particularly with a Super 12? Sorry to hijack the thread somewhat but I'm looking for something more portable than my very loved GK2001RB.
[/quote]

Super Twin with MB800 sounds fantastic (and loud!) if that helps?

[quote name='Clarky72' timestamp='1384855480' post='2281409']
Has anyone tried the MB Fusion 800, and particularly with a Super 12? Sorry to hijack the thread somewhat but I'm looking for something more portable than my very loved GK2001RB.
[/quote]

MB Fusion 500 and S12 sound utterly delicious. Not tried the MB Fusion 800 though so don't know hoe different it sounds I'm afraid.