Why become a member? ×

Patient Zero - A new, and somewhat ambitious project.

pantherairsoft

Hey folks,

Those of you that know me know I typically get involved in fairly unusual projects or stuff which involve my effects pedals outnumbering band members by 10 to 1. Well, this project could be the most ambitious of them all.

Patient Zero is a truly international collaboration consisting of myself and Canadian beat-maker/producer Waatu Music. Waatu found me via Twitter a couple of years ago when I was playing bass for Our Helical Mind and approached us about doing some remixes, of which he did many... and they were awesome. He's been as much a fan of my playing and effects-heavy sound as I have his awesome take on modern HipHop and we'd spoke about doing more besides remixes together. Enter Patient Zero!

PZ is a blend of HipHop and Electronica, created by both digital and analogue methods. Beats produced in Canada then come to me in the UK where I build all the other sounds and textures using the bass and effects. Some tunes are a single, solid traditional bass line, others have 4 tracks of bass going playing everything from Dubstep Wobble to ambient space sounds. Then, every single tune is pre-mixed and sent to a different MC from a different part of the world to treat as a blank canvass and add vocals as they see fit. The end result therefore being a collaborative effect combining totally different creative influences and sounds.

We are currently putting the finishing touches to the 1st EP which will be titled 'Scarecrow Tactics' and alongside myself and Waatu, features the vocal talents of ThiNXx (South Africa), Turtle Handz (USA), Tusken Coalition (UK) and Dyzlexic (Australia). That's 5 countries represented from release 1.

The 1st tune is available now as the 'single' - [url="http://bitnormalrecords.bandcamp.com/album/ballpoint-magician-ft-thinxx-single"]Ballpoint Magician ft ThiNXx can be heard & downloaded for FREE here!!![/url]

This is the straightest of the tunes where the bass is concerned, but I love the dark vibe that ThiNXx gave what really sounded like a funk tune before his vocals were down!

Anyway, I hope you guys dig it. If you are a fan of hiphop and/or electronica then I'd love to hear your feedback/thoughts/comments/hate mail as applicable.

We hope to have Scarecrow Tactics out by the end of May and already have a list of people interested in working with us for EP2, which we hope will not be far behind. If any of you guys are or know any MC's/Vocalists and live in a currently non-PZ-represented country then get in touch and help us with total global coverage!!!

Please download the single (it is free after all) and give us a LIKE on Facebook - [url="https://www.facebook.com/PatientZeroProject"]https://www.facebook...ientZeroProject[/url]

Also find us on Bitnormal Records - [url="http://www.bitnormal.co.uk/artist/patient-zero/"]http://www.bitnormal...t/patient-zero/[/url]

Shep

Edited by pantherairsoft

Wow Shep!! This is one cool project you have going on mate. Love it.

That 'Ballpoint Magician' track is great. Beautiful production - sounds superb through my cans. The beat itself is really quirky and interesting. If you hadn't mentioned I'd have put money on the bassline being 100% synth-generated - amazing how you manage to get those sounds! (but then I know your pedal board is like the flight deck of the Space Shuttle... :D). I like the vocals too - crisp delivery and caught my attention straight away.

Honest opinion? I'd say it sounds as good as your Helical Mind stuff to my ears. I'd maybe even go so far as to say it's got a more [i]original[/i] feel to it. You should tout this stuff around some labels - seriously - it's f-ing great!

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1366056957' post='2047916']
I quite like the feel of this although the vocals get a little lost at somepoint and 1:30 doesn't sit right with me but maybe that's the way it's supposed to be. :)

Overall, I like it :)
[/quote]

I know the bit you're talking about - when I first heard it I also thought it was a little 'odd'. But in context, setting up for the glitching section just after it grew on me and Waatu. So it stayed :)

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1366240548' post='2050138']
Wow Shep!! This is one cool project you have going on mate. Love it.

That 'Ballpoint Magician' track is great. Beautiful production - sounds superb through my cans. The beat itself is really quirky and interesting. If you hadn't mentioned I'd have put money on the bassline being 100% synth-generated - amazing how you manage to get those sounds! (but then I know your pedal board is like the flight deck of the Space Shuttle... :D). I like the vocals too - crisp delivery and caught my attention straight away.

Honest opinion? I'd say it sounds as good as your Helical Mind stuff to my ears. I'd maybe even go so far as to say it's got a more [i]original[/i] feel to it. You should tout this stuff around some labels - seriously - it's f-ing great!
[/quote]

Very high praise dude. Very kind. That bass line is the most straightforward of the EP - just a single track of bass. The others are MUCH more effects heavy. This tune is nothing but an OC-2 on my clean sound. -1 Octave up full and dry & -2 Octave off. Basically no mixing on the Bass needed either. That sound is lush!

As for labels. It's on one (ok, I do own it)... Which is enough for now :)

• 2 weeks later...

All the guest MC submissions are in, final mixing of the EP is on!

In the mean time, here is a remix of a rather wicked HipHop tune by one of the guys featuring on the record. The remix was done by Waatu and was in need of a bass line, so I stepped in. Not officially a 'Patient Zero' remix... but it is really!

https://soundcloud.com/waatumusic/turtle-handz-megamaeng-b-52

Oh, this is soo cool! I love the sinister feel of the single. The vocals sound like they are straight from the evil guy of some movie. Love the glitchy feel. Love that the vocals aren't caught up with being ultra polished. I think it's great BUT it is something that I need time to adjust to. It's so out there (not in a bad sense) that i'm utterly stunned by it (in a good way). Going to listen to it more, can't wait to hear more from you guys :)

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1367993645' post='2071929']
Oh, this is soo cool! I love the sinister feel of the single. The vocals sound like they are straight from the evil guy of some movie. Love the glitchy feel. Love that the vocals aren't caught up with being ultra polished. I think it's great BUT it is something that I need time to adjust to. It's so out there (not in a bad sense) that i'm utterly stunned by it (in a good way). Going to listen to it more, can't wait to hear more from you guys :)
[/quote]

Thanks dude.

The vocals are VERY dark. Theres some EQ and some deliberate glitching of the vox going off too. Subtle, but in a way that we hoped would have that kind of impact. The EP is nearly done now and every tune is VERY different. I'd say 2 tracks were quite dark (this being one of them) and 2 quite upbeat and funky. I'm quite excited to get this out!!!!

Awww god!!!

When I see this kind of stuff on here I start jumping up & down. As I'm at work I cant listen to the track.....grrrr

This sounds really my kind of thing & I cant wait to give this a listen !

Shep by the way I'm loving your website. Your style of playing is really what I'm aiming for, The difference with your ideas to mine is multi tracking my bass guitar, then overdubbing my clean acoustic bass & filling a back shadowy deeper Electric Upright Bass behind it all to give it depth (If this makes sense?)

The next step for me is that on Saturday I'm picking up a Portastudio so finally I will be able to do this with better results.....Shep you've really inspired me & what's more you have convinced me that I'm heading in the right direction.

Cant wait to hear this

[quote name='fumps' timestamp='1368088082' post='2072934']
Awww god!!!

When I see this kind of stuff on here I start jumping up & down. As I'm at work I cant listen to the track.....grrrr

This sounds really my kind of thing & I cant wait to give this a listen !

Shep by the way I'm loving your website. Your style of playing is really what I'm aiming for, The difference with your ideas to mine is multi tracking my bass guitar, then overdubbing my clean acoustic bass & filling a back shadowy deeper Electric Upright Bass behind it all to give it depth (If this makes sense?)

The next step for me is that on Saturday I'm picking up a Portastudio so finally I will be able to do this with better results.....Shep you've really inspired me & what's more you have convinced me that I'm heading in the right direction.

Cant wait to hear this
[/quote]

Dude, that is a HUGE compliment. Seriously. Thank you... Kinda makes all the hours put into the blog totally worthwhile. For someone to say they are 'inspired' by my music or ramblings is amazing.

I hope you dig this project too!

If you ever fancy a day talking pedals and can get to Nottingham, the studio is always open :) Many a basschatter ha already taken me up on it - offers always there.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1368110471' post='2073333']
TUNE!

Shep, that's wickid! I have no problem with the vox levels, I think it all settles very nicely in the mix. Great production. Do like Paul said and shop it around.

What a great global project to be involved with!
[/quote]

Thanks dude! Soon as the EP is out we'll be spammin the living sh*t out of it :)

Already doing some prep work on EP2 and it looks like 3 of the 4 MC's are confirmed for it. Another 4 countries on the books!

We've also just agreed to a 'spin-off' EP as well. Turtle Handz (who did the tune we remixed in the link above) also features on a track on the EP. He loved the stuff so much he wants to a Turtle Zero collaboration EP, so that will also be coming... I'm expecting it to be something a little more like Death Grips than anything :)

Edited by pantherairsoft

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1368138247' post='2073813']
Dude, that is a HUGE compliment. Seriously. Thank you... Kinda makes all the hours put into the blog totally worthwhile. For someone to say they are 'inspired' by my music or ramblings is amazing.

I hope you dig this project too!

If you ever fancy a day talking pedals and can get to Nottingham, the studio is always open :) Many a basschatter ha already taken me up on it - offers always there.
[/quote]

Mate No worries at all. I've been messing for a while with different effects but was struggling with a way to make it work when I came up with the layering of different bass sounds, I have done some extremely rough recordings and was struggling to find how to make the noises that I wanted to make, I was playing the EUB with a Big Muff, a beast of a distortion pedal & going into a synth with a expression pedal & it seemed to click into place. I was still scratching my head though with where to go next with it & now I can kinda see what your doing it's really spurred me on.

I will take you up on this mate as advice on effects is desperately needed with me. I'm trying to make some sense of all the different sounds you can make & the way they interact with each other. which is bloody hard work with lots of trial & error lol

I caught the track last night, I like this, it's my kind of music. I'm going to follow this with great interest as I have my own ideas that seem to be in a similar vein to all this. keep up the good work mate, you have a new fan here lol

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='fumps' timestamp='1368171628' post='2073949']
I caught the track last night, I like this, it's my kind of music. I'm going to follow this with great interest as I have my own ideas that seem to be in a similar vein to all this. keep up the good work mate, you have a new fan here lol
[/quote]

Thanks dude.

Waatu has been doing some serious work on the mix. We're getting close to finish so should be announcing an official release date for the EP soon.

Very excited about it.

• 4 weeks later...

It's out. Basschat can have the link before anyone else :)

[url="http://bitnormalrecords.bandcamp.com/album/scarecrow-tactics"]Patient Zero - Scarecrow Tactics[/url]

If you like electronica & you like hiphop then give it a whirl!

It's a 'name your price' download with no minimum so if you like please feel free to enter £0 and grab a free copy.

Edited by pantherairsoft

Sorry Shep, I've had my head up my arse working on this month's [url="https://soundcloud.com/skollob/world-pass-by"]composition challenge track[/url] and am only just catching up with new music on here!

Just tried the link you gave to the Scarecrow Tactics EP and it's not working - I'm getting a [i]"Server not found"[/i] message.

Sort it out you big tease as I'm dying to hear it!! :D

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1372114889' post='2121947']

Sorry Shep, I've had my head up my arse working on this month's [url="https://soundcloud.com/skollob/world-pass-by"]composition challenge track[/url] and am only just catching up with new music on here!

Just tried the link you gave to the Scarecrow Tactics EP and it's not working - I'm getting a [i]"Server not found"[/i] message.

Sort it out you big tease as I'm dying to hear it!! :D
[/quote]

My mistake! Link fixed. Can you change the link in your quotes bit above (or remove it) so it works too? :)

Sorry about that dude!