Why become a member? ×

Planet Waves Gripmaster

Hello_Dave

[url="http://www.hotroxuk.com/store/erol.html#5977x5982"]http://www.hotroxuk.com/store/erol.html#5977x5982[/url]

Just ordered one of the these. They look pretty useful for people wanting to improve their finger strength or needing a warm up tool.

Anyone use one? :)

MB1. :)

Hello Dave,wanna buy some pegs dave?.got one of these years ago when i subscribed to bassist magazine.mines a blue one,useful but not variable tension.you can get used to it after a while.gets your fingers moving independently.dont do it under the table at teatime or while having your haircut,you could get some funny looks.
all the best
MB1.

Can't see the point to be honest. You'd be just as well playing the bass. I'm not sure building finger strength is useful on it's own, unless you're planning to throttle the life out of your bass neck.

[quote name='Muppet' post='21971' date='Jun 22 2007, 04:08 PM']Can't see the point to be honest. You'd be just as well playing the bass. I'm not sure building finger strength is useful on it's own, unless you're planning to throttle the life out of your bass neck.[/quote]

I disagree. When I play my bass at home I don't practice techniques really, Im more of a creative person and Im always creating when playing. I don't practise exercises that will build up my finger strength as I find that rather boring so having the ability to build up the strength when not playing is ideal.

[quote name='guitarnbass' post='21969' date='Jun 22 2007, 04:01 PM']For a warm up tool get a powerball, it works a load of muscles all over the place, probably about the same price too. It can be used as a treatment for RSI and other such diseases, so I'm guessing it's good for prevention too.[/quote]

Forgot about these things, was meaning to get one a while back. Thanks for the reminder!

[quote name='Muppet' post='21971' date='Jun 22 2007, 04:08 PM']Can't see the point to be honest. You'd be just as well playing the bass. I'm not sure building finger strength is useful on it's own, unless you're planning to throttle the life out of your bass neck.[/quote]

Its a portable pocket sized workout for your fingers, to promote both flexibility and strength in your fingers, when you just aint got a bass to hand or when its just not appropriate to be playing one! apparently!

Practicing bass is damanding enough for your fingers, I think that if you practice enough and practice properly, using a gripmaster would be ott. Also, how strong do your fingers need to be? Mine are long and weak as anything, but I don't have any problem getting around, maybe if I wanted to do full bends at the 3rd fret I might struggle but it's not like I'd ever do that anyway... If your bass is hard to fret, lower the action and use soft strings.

Look, youre missing the point here,its something to pop in your pocket and play with,and you wont get arrested for doing it, in a public place, when you havent got your bass with you,out shopping for instance.billy sheehan swears by them ,and endorsed them at one stage,keeps your fingers flexible,strengthens them.Some people dont get the opportunity to practice as often as they might like.stops you picking your nose too!
works for mr sheehan!

MB1.

[quote name='guitarnbass' post='22033' date='Jun 22 2007, 05:48 PM']Practicing bass is damanding enough for your fingers, I think that if you practice enough and practice properly, using a gripmaster would be ott. Also, how strong do your fingers need to be? Mine are long and weak as anything, but I don't have any problem getting around, maybe if I wanted to do full bends at the 3rd fret I might struggle but it's not like I'd ever do that anyway... If your bass is hard to fret, lower the action and use soft strings.[/quote]

I agree completely. Having strong fingers is not what it's all about. If it helped technique then I'd have no issue. Pressing a few springs in and out is no better than drumming my fingers on a desk. You're more likely to get RSI than improve dexterity.

Now before you all shoot me down...... I do have a fairly sordid past in sport and have (trained and been trained by some very respected coaches)......

I would agree in the initial stages of learning to play one of these would be useful to build some directed strength, for your fretting fingers....

However once you have the ability to play without cramp or pain for say 30 mins... your time and effort would be best practising on an instrument or at least a neck (like the little fretty or whatever its called). as you need to build muscle memory ........ This is using the limbs in the discipline they are used for which develops joint ligamnets and muscle in a different way to the straight forward compression excersize that the Gripmaster would give........ If there are any sport scientists or Physios on here I'm sure they will back me up here.......

Put simply if just anaerobic excersize alone produced the agilty that you need for everything, why arent ballet dancers built like doormen..

Dancers and gymnasts are pound for pound much stronger than a doorman, but lifting or pushing heavy wieghts would be much easier for teh doorman/body builder However would the body builder be able to do push ups in the handstand position? I think not.....

Now does that make sense? If you want stronger fingers by all means use one. Using one on its own will not make you a better bass player.... If you used one for say 90secs of exercise before you started to pratice then 90 seconds after you practice followed by some stretches that would be highly likley to improve your digital dexterity.......

[quote name='MB1' post='22085' date='Jun 22 2007, 07:27 PM']MB1. :)

I did try to explain, alas!

nobodys asking anybody to buy one![/quote]

The title of the post was "Planet Waves Gripmaster, Opinions?"

You can't complain when that's what you end up with!!

Tell you the truth, obviously it'd improve the strength of your fingers, but that doesn't mean improving your technique in the slightest. Like I said, I have pissweak fingers, but it doesn't stop me playing tough or fast lines on the bass. It's like this, if you use excessive amounts of pressure to play something, you'll wear your hand out in no time. The trick of playing with good technique is playing with the lightest touch, using the least amount of pressure and movement as you possibly can, and that can only be achieved by playing the bass; working on that light, floaty feeling, letting go of tension you don't need in every part of your body, and minimizing those finger movements. Fact is, things like gripmasters are no substitute for practicing the bass, there is no good substitute. 1 hour of solid technique practice with a metronome is enough for anybody on the bass in one day, and if you can manage that, you won't need a gripmaster.
Remember as well that for those gripmasters to be effective, as in improve the strength in your fingers(not make you play better), you need to use it regularly, and I don't mean excessively, but if you just pick it up now and again, every other day, it won't do squat.

[quote name='guitarnbass' post='22169' date='Jun 22 2007, 10:33 PM']1 hour of solid technique practice with a metronome is enough for anybody on the bass in one day, and if you can manage that, you won't need a gripmaster.
Remember as well that for those gripmasters to be effective, as in improve the strength in your fingers(not make you play better), you need to use it regularly, and I don't mean excessively, but if you just pick it up now and again, every other day, it won't do squat.[/quote]

Spot on advice!

:)

I remember hearing/reading? somewhere once that overdeveloping the muscles in your fretting hand won't make you any faster technique wise and may have the adverse effect.
Elswhere in this thread somone mentioned that good LH technique is all about using the lightest touch. I couldn't agree more. and while these gadgets and hand excercises may help the beginner develop the requisite strength, playing more watching your hand position and practising in a disciplined way (someone else mentioned metronome) is the key.

Having spent last couple of years gigging quite busily, including a 5 hour stint at the London marathon preceded by a gig the night before, I have developed quite a strong left hand,fast fingers and don't get any aches and pains or sore bits,(well not in my hands anyway :)) after long gigs.

i practice unplugged most nights when every one else has gone to bed and noodle with my bass in front of the telly, concentrating on accuracy and a light touch but certainly don't use any other gadgets other than my bass to work out with.

F**k The bass, lets all play gripmasters, and change the forum to gripmasterchat. If the gripmaster doesnt work for you HELLO DAVE , you can always sell it on ebay.right im off to learn Baba o riley on my gripmaster.

MB1.