Why become a member? ×

Selmer Treble and Bass Tremolo 100 ??

shanefitzy

[quote name='shanefitzy' timestamp='1365876073' post='2045571']
....There dont seem to be many around is it any good ?....
[/quote]

I didn't rate them as highly as Marshall and later Hiwatt, but, you've got one; you tell us!

I had a Selmer TnB as my first amp..It was awful...or I was, so was the Marshall straight after it..
The Hiwatt cleaned them both out... but maybe I was learning.

I'd perserve with it... it will be of value to someone so don't give it up cheaply...

Some Selmer T&B 100s have a design quirk that makes them disagrees with modern valves and go into oscillation when pushed. Should be easy fix for tech who is aware of it. Getting on quite well with 50w Selmer heads and bass. Also, any amp of that age will benefit from a recap, otherwise they'll be a bit gutless sounding/noisy/exploding.

Edited by Mr. Foxen

[quote name='shanefitzy' timestamp='1365877791' post='2045596']
[attachment=132396:DSC_0377.JPG]
[/quote]

That's one of the "SV" series T&B's from the 70's. The last of the treble and bass series in fact. I have owned and modded 2 or 3 of these, although not the trem version. The transformers are Partridges which are excellent -- maybe even the same as many Hiwatts of the era (I know virtually nothing about the details of Hiwatt amps BTW). Generally really well built amps, but much better for guitar IMO. A recap would probably be a good idea if not done already, as Mr F. suggests.
These amps mod well to make great guitar amps. However, IMO, the power sections as standard are simply not designed to process a bass signal well, and will always flub out with a heavy bass signal pretty early on. It's only a 100W after all. As you have found out they weigh a ton also !

[quote name='shanefitzy' timestamp='1365889302' post='2045785']
Yeah heavy is a description that fits well . I had it serviced not so long ago so it seems to function ok at test levels . I had 3 given to me a tnb 50 tnb 100 and then this tremolo version .
[/quote]

lucky get, I'll have the 50 off you if its weighing you down :P

Great little amps these, they do an awesome overdrive sound. quite alot of them came with partridge transformers and mullard caps, so they tend to be fairly reliable aswell

[quote name='shanefitzy' timestamp='1365932733' post='2046033']
It was apparently owned by a Vicar and used to practice at home ! I had a go this morning and god is it loud for a 50
[/quote]

Well, if it was owned by a vicar, God may well have done something special to it !