Why become a member? ×

Stagg BC300FL

bass_in_ya_face

[quote name='bass_in_ya_face' post='21830' date='Jun 22 2007, 12:19 PM']Has anyone any opinons on this fretless bass. Normally I wouldn't touch a Stagg with a bargepole but i've heard good things about it.

Anyone got one?[/quote]

Yep! - had one since January '96. I think it's great value for the money, but I've "breathed" on mine to make it better.....

On first receiving it, I noticed the electronics were noisy which I gather from Harmony Central is a common issue. I found most of the cause was that the control cavity wasn't shielded so I easily cured this with some conductive silver paint (Maplin does it) inside the cavity, having first removed the jack socket and pots. Then I lined the inside of the plastic cover with tin foil. I also removed the bridge and made sure the earth connection under it was good and clean.

The above treatment got me through the first year with this bass. The standard pickups are relatively low output, so a few months ago I fitted some DiMarzios and a set of Rotosound Jazz flatwounds. It sounds pretty good now and will certainly keep me going until I've saved up the dosh for a Warwick Thumb NT4 fretless.

+1 to machines advice.

Though I’ve enjoyed working on my BC300, bringing it up to scratch, I appreciate that not everyone may feel comfortable doing the sort of work I’ve done on it. I’ve never played a Squier, but I’d guess this would have much better quality “out of the box” than the Stagg.

I’ve got to admit, I was lured to the Stagg because I prefer the look of real wood, rather than paint or a scratchplate. It’s fortunate that having bought it on mail order for just £99 on impulse, I was able to sort out the issues it had by myself!

[quote name='Krysbass' post='21880' date='Jun 22 2007, 01:30 PM']+1 to machines advice.

Though I’ve enjoyed working on my BC300, bringing it up to scratch, I appreciate that not everyone may feel comfortable doing the sort of work I’ve done on it. I’ve never played a Squier, but I’d guess this would have much better quality “out of the box” than the Stagg.

I’ve got to admit, I was lured to the Stagg because I prefer the look of real wood, rather than paint or a scratchplate. It’s fortunate that having bought it on mail order for just £99 on impulse, I was able to sort out the issues it had by myself![/quote]

Luckily my bass tutor normally has basses in various states of repair at his house so I could as him nicely if he could do it :)

I have one.
It is by no means a Fender beater, but if you're looking for a budget instrument to practice on, it's great.
I stuck on a new set of strings, and re-shielded the innards.
I wouldn't gig it, but it's good for mucking about in the house on.
Andy

The other thing I should mention (though you've probably worked this out already) is that with the cost of the BC300 itself, then shielding paint and the new pickups, I've easily spent £200 on it now (about the same price as the Squier). The only advantages were that I didn't have to spend it all in one go and I have a bass that I personally prefer the look of.

On the other hand, if it comes to selling it on I'd expect the Squier would fetch more, if only because Squier has the connection with Fender whereas "Stagg" maybe conjures up images of tinned chilli, (Mmmmmm - but that might just be me?) :)

Edit: BTW bass-in-ya-face, I like your Aria SB1000 RI avatar - do you own one? IMHO, the SB1000 is the best looking bass ever made.

Edited by Krysbass

I bought 2 stagg items before, one was a drum stool, the other a mic stand, the mic stand fell apart on the first day, and the drum stool lasted a week, put me right off them really, get what you pay for.

btw, I reckon there's some better alternatives on ebay you might wanna check out, and I agree about the squire. If I were you, i'd probably save a little more, and get a fender standard fretless, or a used one on ebay.

Edited by guitarnbass

I realise this isnt the prettiest bass you'll ever see.... it would appear tho that you have a price brcket and you will be hard pushed to get a better made fretless for this amount......

280126119242 on the 'bay of course...... Stagg? I'm afaid I have picked up a couple in shops and put them straight back down again..... They feel like they will fall apart in your hands........

[quote name='bass_in_ya_face' post='21866' date='Jun 22 2007, 01:12 PM']Yeah the Squier Fretless Jazz seems to be the best budget end fretless but i can't get one under £200 and I have to try and justify it to the missues![/quote]

IMOI, the best fretless for the money is the newish modified squier. Jaco looks and a remarkably good sound with great build quality.

You say you can't get one for under £200...what about [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_sq_vintage_modified_jazz_fl.htm"]£200.67!?[/url] is that close enough. Shipping will cost you about £7.

I would say definately save that extra bit and go for a better quality instrument.

Then in the future you cold always drop an Audure in there or something if you want a bit more... :)

Edited by Mikey D

I had a Stagg BC300FL.

Initially I liked it, but I knew nothing. The pickups were noisy, tuning stability wasn't great ([i]NOT [/i]good on a fretless!), and there wasn't a lot of variation in tone no matter what I did with any of the controls.

I did like playing it and I actually used it live twice to play Pearl Jam's Alive, and pulled it off quite convincingly, but that was more down to the tweaking of the sound with the BP200 I had then.

Even as a toe-in-the-water fretless, I don't recommend it.

I know Stewblack got a Jack & Danny 2200A 5-string fretless and he has posted quite positively on that, so maybe J&D's other fretless offerings might be worth looking at?

Mark

• 11 years later...