Why become a member? ×

Advice on next setup

DorsetBlue

Okay, I feel it is time to move on to my next Amplifier setup. The CR25 and/or B3 has been fine for the beginners stage but now I am getting a little more confident, I want a new setup that will have the potential to manage small gigs (my next target milestone), with maybe some additional 'future proofing'. The main requirements I have identified are:[list]
[*]Ideally has an effects loop (B3 for the rare occasions I need some effects)
[*]Ideally has XLR output (could use B3 I guess)
[*]At least 200W
[*]Lightweight and reasonably compact (the plan is for it to be out in my front room most of the time)
[*]Seperate head and cabinet (I did really umm and ahh about this one I must admit).
[*]Budget max £750 (ideally less)
[/list]
I play mainly Rock and Blues.

The ones I have identified (admittedly based on the stock in a local shop) as potentials are as follows:

[u]Head[/u][list]
[*]Ampeg PF-350
[*]Ampeg PF-500
[*]Ampeg Micro VR
[*]Orange TB 500
[*]TC BH250 (no loop noted)
[*]TC BH500 (a bit on the large side)
[/list]
[u]Cab[/u][list]
[*]Ampeg PF-115LF
[*]Ampeg SVT210AV
[*]Ashdown MAG115
[*]Ashdown VS-212-200
[*]TC BC210
[*]TC BC212
[*]Roadkill 2x10 (local cab manufacturer, their guitar cabs are well respected and they are making a 2x10 and 4x10 prototypes right now)
[/list]

Opinions, alternatives, recommendations all gratefully received?

I'd go & try some rigs out. I'd also not worry about the fx loop & just put the B3 between the bass & the amp.
I really umm'd & ahh'd about separates & ended up with a MarkBass 2x10 combo. :)

Here's a couple of things to add to your list...

Markbass LMII/III, etc (or even one of their combos)
Genz Benz
Aguilar

& Barefaced for a cab (though this might take most of your budget, even s/h)

Have fun searching. I did. :)

Don't forget to check out the Gallien Krueger line also.

If I had that budget, I would be looking for a 500W (ish) head and something like a 2x10 or 2x12, 8 ohm cab. That way you will get a decent medium-sized rig (pushing about 250-300W into the 8 ohm cab). But will also give you the expandability of getting another 8 ohm cab at some point in the future to give you the full 500W into 4 ohms with a multi speaker rig (which, volume-wise should cover almost anything).
A lot depends on your rea-life volume requirements though. If you are going to have PA support on your bass at all times potentially in the future, then a 200W system will probably be enough. If not, in a medium sized club with a loud band, you will need 500W into good cabs to hold your own.

Sound like you'll have some fun researching ! A trip down to Absolute Music in Poole would seem like a good place to start.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1365755244' post='2043833']
Sound like you'll have some fun researching ! A trip down to Absolute Music in Poole would seem like a good place to start.
[/quote]

Funnily enough that was the music shop I was referring to. :) GK and Markbass noted.

God I wish I had £750 to spend on a new rig!

I'd get a second hand Ampeg PF-500 and a Barefaced Compact. I'd rather have excellent quality cabs than anything else so if I could be bothered with the weight, I'd find a Peavey Firebass 700 for £100 and blow the rest of the money on a couple of EBS neo112's or a pair of Aguilar DB112's.

If you like your B3, why not buy a power amp (decent ones can be got for £150) and spend the rest on awesome cabs?

Truckstop

Carvin BX500 - I absolutely love mine and the spec certainly fits your bill, as would the price, leaving you a nice budget for cabs: http://www.carvinworld.com/manuals/BX500-single-pages.pdf

Got mine from Bassgear in Twyford - Phil and his team are great to deal with.

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1365762601' post='2044023']
If you like your B3, why not buy a power amp (decent ones can be got for £150) and spend the rest on awesome cabs?

Truckstop
[/quote]

Intriquing idea, when I was looking at setups about 6 months ago I found the Behringer V-Amp Pro posts on TalkBass and a lot of them had done just that. AM doesn't seem to have appropriate power amps in stock but then I don't suppose you really need to test drive a power amp for tone? Crown seem to be a good make (but more costly and rather over powered?). The only make I can find that seems to meet your price range is W Audio which has a bridge compatible 500W PA called the EP 500. That is £110. Hmm, its certainly an option that I need to weigh up with being dependant on the B3/Pre-Amp.

For that sort of budget I would be looking at an older Trace head 300w ish and a 2nd hand BF cab (Super12 or similar). Can't go too far wrong with that, can upgrade the head whenever/ if you need and the cab will take plenty more horsepower if you ever need it too.

You are welcome to come and try mine out whenever BTW... :)

[quote name='DorsetBlue' timestamp='1365695930' post='2043125']
Okay, I feel it is time to move on to my next Amplifier setup. The CR25 and/or B3 has been fine for the beginners stage but now I am getting a little more confident, I want a new setup that will have the potential to manage small gigs (my next target milestone), with maybe some additional 'future proofing'. The main requirements I have identified are:[list]
[*]Ideally has an effects loop (B3 for the rare occasions I need some effects)
[*]Ideally has XLR output (could use B3 I guess)
[*]At least 200W
[*]Lightweight and reasonably compact (the plan is for it to be out in my front room most of the time)
[*]Seperate head and cabinet (I did really umm and ahh about this one I must admit).
[*]Budget max £750 (ideally less)
[/list]
I play mainly Rock and Blues.

The ones I have identified (admittedly based on the stock in a local shop) as potentials are as follows:

[u]Head[/u][list]
[*]Ampeg PF-350
[*]Ampeg PF-500
[*]Ampeg Micro VR
[*]Orange TB 500
[*]TC BH250 (no loop noted)
[*]TC BH500 (a bit on the large side)
[/list]
[u]Cab[/u][list]
[*]Ampeg PF-115LF
[*]Ampeg SVT210AV
[*]Ashdown MAG115
[*]Ashdown VS-212-200
[*]TC BC210
[*]TC BC212
[*]Roadkill 2x10 (local cab manufacturer, their guitar cabs are well respected and they are making a 2x10 and 4x10 prototypes right now)
[/list]
Opinions, alternatives, recommendations all gratefully received?
[/quote]

From experience I have found that a good, loud, light cab is a priority (I've learned from my mistakes). You can cut corners on a head but you have to have a good cab or you won't get a good sound at volume. The used barefaced cab mentioned before is a good option. Or go for the premium models by Genz Benz, Hartke, Gallien Kruger, Mark Bass etc.

Oh and buy secondhand if you can. You can save a lot of money that way.

Okay, I spent about 2 hours noodling around with setups at AM yesterday and.......ended up with a TC BH250 and TC BC210. Cabs ended up between BC210 and BC212, the BC210 just won out and I am not sure quite how to describe why I preferred the sound. Amps ended up between the Ampeg PF-350 (they did not have a 500 in) and the BH250, I loved the Ampeg tone but it did not seem quite as flexible as the BC (BC seemed to be able to do the 'clean' sound better for example) and the BC also seemed gruntier through the (admittedly TC) cab. After trying these mini-amps, I couldn't forsee playing anywhere needing more volume for the next couple of years, and if I did, there might be a DI PA anyway or I could add another BC210 or BC212.
Now a happy chappy and everything fits nicely in the house, is lightweight and shakes the house at anything over 9 o'clock. Thanks everyone for their suggestions.

Edited by DorsetBlue

• 1 month later...

I use the same setup but the bigger brother BH500 and run 2x BC212.

Shakes the house for not even playing hard lol.

Haven't use the full stack in gig yet since is over power, but this coming september i will be running a full stack to do a gig. Looking forward to blast the thing.