Why become a member? ×

VANDERKLEY BASS CABS - PLAYERS VIEWS PLEASE

BassManGraham

Hi All, I have used many bass rigs over many years including Hiwatt, Acoustic, Fender, Laney, Gallien Krueger, and currently Markbass. I selected MB afew years back after direct head to heads with Ampeg etc etc.

I am now looking for quality lightweight speakers that will cut through the mix. I play a wide variety of music mainly rock, funk, blues, soul, etc in tribute acts, wedding & blues bands etc.

I love my Markbass amp sound and speakers in isolation, BUT cabs ocassionally seem a bit wooly or to lack clarity on stage when playing with a medium/loud 5/6 piece band.

Are Vanderkleys or similar the answer?

Appreciate views of experienced Vanderkley players please.

I have a vanderkley 212mnt cab and It's fantastic. Very clear and detailed sound , very even across It's frequency range . Best thing is to try one with your head and see if It's for you though. I chose it over bergantino and genz benz cabs as it was just better to my ears , more 3 dimensional sounding . If you can get to bass direct with your bass and amp then you can give them a go and compare to lots of other cabs which is much better than buying blind and taking a chance .

Would be worth you taking a trip to Camden. Bass Gallery had a little 1x12 Vanderkley in the demo room that blew me away a couple weeks ago. Probably less selection than Bass Direct, but a hell of a lot closer to south London.

Edited by Scotticus

[quote name='Scotticus' timestamp='1365660102' post='2042379']
Would be worth you taking a trip to Camden. Bass Gallery had a little 1x12 Vanderkley in the demo room that blew me away a couple weeks ago. Probably less selection than Bass Direct, but a hell of a lot closer to south London.
[/quote]

Thanks. Yes, ideally I need to compare sound directly head to head or should I say cab to cab, but even then that is no substitute for using at a gig with our drummer who models himself on "Animal"

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1365671135' post='2042525']
I have a 212MNT and live in South London, you are welcome to bring your head and try it out, obviously at low volume though or I'd be strung up by the neighbours :D
[/quote]

Thanks that's a very kind offer indeed. I am currently in Dublin, Ireland and will be back in South London probably early May. Cheers

[quote name='BassManGraham' timestamp='1365690571' post='2042987']
Thanks that's a very kind offer indeed. I am currently in Dublin, Ireland and will be back in South London probably early May. Cheers
[/quote]

No worries :)

Bought a 212 MNT off "Paulie" (menber here) and got to say that I love the sound, although I tend to play it with the tweeter right down.

Hard to describe a sound, but I would say its rich, smooth, and balanced. Something about it makes me feel that I am hearing the bass and myself rather than the cab. Not surprising I like it then because one of my other favourite bass sounds is via a Tascam bass trainer straight to headphones.

I am using a Marshall BDS7400 with it with all controls set 'flat', and I love it - next step is to supplement the DBS with something lighter. But that's a question for another thread when funds permit.

So I like it. Can't promise that you will, but I'd certainly give one a listen if you can.

I had the old mt series 112 and 210. Really articulate cabs, loved it at home but found that in a band setting I missed some low end thump. Much happier with my Aggie DB 212. The 212's probably would not have this issue, so if VdK is to your taste I would certainly advise to check the 212 cabs first.

• 4 months later...

Just spotted this thread so a little late;

I've two NeoLite 1X12s and love them.

TC Classic 450 and old Fender Jazz gives an absolutely fantastic range of sounds.....

Marc says the cabs are linear and thats exactly what you hear, like Count Bassy said, you're hearing yourself.

Got my directly from Marc Vanderkley and a nicer bloke you couldn't wish for...

Very fit bassist and an awsome colection of basses

my verdict?

Not changing from these cabs as they handle any typ of sound accurately,

Oh yeah, very loud, too

,-)

• 6 months later...

I reckon Vanderkley are an amazing cab. Like Epifani used to be!!
I sold my 112to Count Bassy as my requirements changed but it was the best 12 I have ever heard.

Im thinking of going back and getting a pair of them or a 210 and 112 combination.

I'm using a MNT112 through a Genz Benz Shuttle 3.0 - lovely warm sound with nice lows and mids. Compares favourably with my EBS 350 and neo2x12 which it replaces but weighs about half the weight. Scott Devine is one of many using these cabs - doesn't that say something??

Well I bought some Vanderkleys a pair of 122MNTs (from Walker on Basschat - Great guy) and a 210MNT from Bass Direct. They are by far the best cabs I've ever heard and played through. Coupled with my Genz Benz Shuttle Max 9.2 they really cut through the mix. The transparent sound, and power to weight ratio is amazing. Still love my Markbass mini CMD121p and CMD102P combos for convenience, but will now be moving on the bigger stuff.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I do believe that the 112EXT is an excellent piece of gear at a reasonable price and Marc (Vanderkley) is a wonderful guy to deal with.
The cab went through a series of our tests and was consistently an excellent performer.

Here is a utube link with a jam with using the 112EXT cab.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMbWrns0CRw

[quote name='Audiokostas' timestamp='1398770156' post='2437354']
I do believe that the 112EXT is an excellent piece of gear at a reasonable price
[/quote]

From what Marc told me, it's the most detailed 112 they make, so if one doesn't need the volume of the others, then the EXT is the one.

[quote name='Audiokostas' timestamp='1398770156' post='2437354']
Marc (Vanderkley) is a wonderful guy to deal with.
[/quote]

I believe so too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1400342396' post='2453087']
I thought I'd mention that my 212MNT is now up for sale on Basschat, the thread can be found here:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/237099-vanderkley-212mnt/"]http://basschat.co.u...derkley-212mnt/[/url]
[/quote]

Nice. Think this is this a 600W 4ohm cab?

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1394116507' post='2388097']
I'm using a MNT112 through a Genz Benz Shuttle 3.0 - lovely warm sound with nice lows and mids. Compares favourably with my EBS 350 and neo2x12 which it replaces but weighs about half the weight. Scott Devine is one of many using these cabs - doesn't that say something??
[/quote]

Not really IMO. It's nice that a pro uses the same gear but it'll never make me like the sound if my ear doesn't like it (which is why trying stuff is vital!). I could justify buying/recommend most high-end gear based on the '*insert name* is a pro player and they use it' argument. Want a Fodera? Wooten plays one. Vintage Fender? Paul Turner plays one. Vanderkley or Overwater? Scott Devine plays one. Aguilar? Janek Gwizdala plays one and so on.

If you're deciding what to buy, don't let marketing or the opinions of a pro dictate to you. That's what your ears are for. Use the names and marketing to justify why it should be in the house to the better half ;-)

Edited by skej21

• 7 years later...

Hey guys,

To any owners/players of the 212LNT cab....

Sorry to revive an old topic. I'm looking at cabs, and am after a single cab solution as I've had for years with my Epi 310. I'd like something a touch louder, and very clear. I checked out a 212LNT at the Gallery last week. Totally stunning cabinet and I'd happily own a Vanderkley based on his rep and ethos. My impression of the sound was that the low mids and lows were really prominent, when I popped or dug in, i wasn't hearing the high mids I'm used to with my 10" speakers. Lots about the vanderkley was better, and I know my ears and settings would change, perhaps the 12" just has a different character to the one I'm used to. My question is this:

Any owners of that cab find that once you start driving it at gig volume it really evens out? Or is it the sort of cab that has that low/low mid drive with the sparkle from the tweeter on top regardless?

I like it to sound 'funky', and using the very clean and dependable Thunderfunk 550 head.

Thanks.

I’m changing cabs out of necessity, one of my drivers needed a repair, and I’m not sure how long it will last, so I’m checking out some of the new kids on the block. 

It’s a really capable cab, and I’ve used it for about 14 years I reckon. It does start to compress when you really push it. Anyway, the character of the Vanderkley 212 when pushed and in a band context was the reason for my post. Sorry to introduce a curve ball there. 

• Like 1