Why become a member? ×

Headphones for home practice

SpaceChick

Now I have realised I can plug my MP3 player into my amp, and play over the top of it, I've been thinking I need to buy some headphones to plug into my amp so I can keep the noise to myself.

My budget is £50 MAXIMUM, and I've heard good reports about Sennheiser, and Argos have the Sennheiser HD419 at £50 at the moment.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9071700.htm

My question is, does this seem like a good buy?

Over to you bass chatters :D

I wouldn't get too hung up on that, my headphones are slightly higher impedance than my in ear things, both work fine in an ipod type device that is more sensitive to the load, so your amp will have no trouble driving most readily available brands.

Not a Sennheiser person so can't help you on that score. I believe they are well regarded though.

Recently went thru the headphone auditioning thing as my Sennheiser 201 cheapys were failing to cope with the bass levels thru my Zoom B9.

Tried loads in the local Currys superstore and these Sony MDR V55 sounded best to me. Couldnt believe how much better they were than my old ones.
Really deep, punchy and defined bass and a bit of a bargain - they used to be about 90 quid. Good for general music listening too. Only downsides are they feel a bit heavy and the lead is a bit short (easily sorted for a couple of quid with an extension from Amazon) - i actually prefer full over ear types to these on ears but they are fine for a couple of hours blasting. Having a single cable is a good thing too, less to get tangly.

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007I1QY5Y/ref=asc_df_B007I1QY5Y12746284?smid=ARWFG41TXG1LU&tag=hydra0b-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22242&creativeASIN=B007I1QY5Y&hvpos=1o1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16777016551720054446&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007I1QY5Y/ref=asc_df_B007I1QY5Y12746284?smid=ARWFG41TXG1LU&tag=hydra0b-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22242&creativeASIN=B007I1QY5Y&hvpos=1o1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16777016551720054446&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt[/url]=

Edited by Mudpup

Hi SpaceChick, I've got a pair of Sennheiser HD 25 SP II and they are phenomenal, little bit more than your price range at £80 from Currys though, I'd imagine the HD419s should be ok if you can go to a store and try them then that'll be best.

Check this link out as it shows you the frequency responses of pretty much every headphone available it's amazing! http://www.headphone.com/learning-center/build-a-graph.php

I've got sennheiser . Had them about 7/8 years. The wire is beginning to cut out now, so may get a new pair soon . They are good, but cannot remember the old model no off top of my head .

I could tell they 're good , as the sound I get when playing my bass is more 'clinical' or 'different ';)

Do yourselves a favour (all of you in need of good cheap cans) and check out the Studiospares M1000 closed back cans:-
http://www.studiospares.com/headphones-studio/studiospares-m1000-headphones/invt/448760

They are currently £65 but quite often they have offers on. They are really excellent if you dont want to hear whats going on outside the cans (or people outside them to hear what you're listening to - so are excellent tools for recording - and they sound excellent, they certainly cope with my 5 string without any problems at all.....

Highly recommended....

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1365575771' post='2041175']
Now I have realised I can plug my MP3 player into my amp, and play over the top of it, I've been thinking I need to buy some headphones to plug into my amp so I can keep the noise to myself.

My budget is £50 MAXIMUM, and I've heard good reports about Sennheiser, and Argos have the Sennheiser HD419 at £50 at the moment.[/quote]

I was bought some new Sennheisers at Xmas, to replace the equivalent pair I had - which I destroyed by using with my practise amp :( . Even before they blew completely they couldn't take any low notes so if you like fuzz bass they're great. I also have tinnitus which wouldn't have been helped.

If you can guarantee you won't have the volume too high there may be some phones out there suitable - personally, with hindsight - I wouldn't.

[quote name='Mudpup' timestamp='1365581069' post='2041205']
Recently went thru the headphone auditioning thing as my Sennheiser 201 cheapys were failing to cope with the bass levels thru my Zoom B9... I actually prefer full over ear types to these on ears but they are fine for a couple of hours blasting.
[/quote]

201s just can't cut it with uncompressed bass.
I favour circumaural types, too. For what we're using them for, closed- back designs are preferable. Less sound leakage, and therefore no spill in studios, and less aggro for others in the domestic environment.
I use the old Sennheiser HD 215 mk1, and they're fine.

I've sworn by my Panasonic rphtx7's for years for bass practice, (and guitar) and listening, and monitoring. I bought them while working for richer sounds, so could buy from a big range of cans at cost price. I was into the sennhesers and the sonys. Then I tried these for the looks.
They flattened most others, I was pretty surprised and still love them today. Great with my zoom b9 and g7.

I got the Studiospares M1000s recently too, mainly for checking mixes, and they are very nice, especially for only a bit over £50. I would say they have nicer bass extension than the Sennheiser (380 Pro?) set I borrowed for a long while. Good for playing the drums too as the isolation is good.