Why become a member? ×

Round wound thuds when fingers hit non played strings

Greggo

I posted a similar query in technical but I'm wondering if this is normal. I've got fresh round wounds on two basses and when playing finger style I get a lot of thudding noises when playing. Eg if I play an A my finger naturally comes into contact with E (5 string by the way so narrower string spacing). Even when playing light there's still a little contact. But this contact seems to create a bit of noise which can be heard acoustically and when amplified can be heard as a "thud". This thud can't be heard when playing with plectrum so sounds find that way.

Can anyone confirm anything similar? I don't play lots so the strings not broken in yet, don't know if this would reduce if so. I don't remember it on previous set which were older.

I've noticed this 'thump' too - and always put it down to my less-than-perfect, self-taught fingerstyle.

Surely it's just a question of technique? Nothing to do with the strings, pickups etc.

With care it can be avoided, but doing so can wreck your groove.

OTOH I think it's one of those little annoyances that seem to get bigger once you spot them. In reality, the thump isn't that loud - way, way quieter than the sound of the plucked string.

I bet loads of players hit muted strings without ever noticing.

Edited by ingmar808

I suffer with this problem and AFAIK it's due to the plucking finger "following through" onto the next string and pressing it onto the frets. Rounds clank, flats thump.

I've tried for ages to change my right hand finger style to be less aggressive and pluck more across the string rather than down and through but when I get exited I just revert back to bad technique.

I suppose I could force the issue by turning up loud and having to play gently but it's just not me.

Any other tips on how to overcome this?

[quote name='morsefull' timestamp='1365585439' post='2041291']
I suffer with this problem and AFAIK it's due to the plucking finger "following through" onto the next string and pressing it onto the frets. Rounds clank, flats thump.

I've tried for ages to change my right hand finger style to be less aggressive and pluck more across the string rather than down and through but when I get exited I just revert back to bad technique.

I suppose I could force the issue by turning up loud and having to play gently but it's just not me.

Any other tips on how to overcome this?
[/quote]

Yes. But it may require a change in your technique!
It can still allow you to attack the strings if you want to, though I would advocate (and am working towards) a lighter right- hand style, as it makes playing less arduous and allows greater speed if required.

A good tip is to try turning up the gain on your amp, but playing more gently to keep the overall volume level the same. This may force you to alter your attack such that the thump is less obvious or disappears altogether.

After that, you need to look at damping strings to reduce unwanted noise.

If I were playing any note on the A string on a five string, I would damp the G and D strings by gently laying my fingers across them whilst still physically fretting the desired note.
They shouldn't be struck by my right hand, so the chance of harmonics being generated is small.

Assuming I'm still playing the A string, that still leaves the E and B to damp. I'm alternating strokes on the string with my index and middle fingers, following through into the E. I damp the E with my third finger, by resting it on it. I rest my thumb against the body of the bass or a pick up, but leave it touching the B.

The whole position translates downward/upward with string changes, and you end up leading with your third finger leading to damp the string above the one you're about to strike.
The thumb can follow downwards, or can stay put. You need to move it clear of the B string if you're plucking that!

The only downside is that this style precludes the use of the third finger to pluck. Otherwise, it's quite sound and stops a lot of unwanted string noise..

Sorry about the long reply. Someone else has probably suggested other alternatives by now!

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1365589530' post='2041370']
Yes. But it may require a change in your technique!
It can still allow you to attack the strings if you want to, though I would advocate (and am working towards) a lighter right- hand style, as it makes playing less arduous and allows greater speed if required.

A good tip is to try turning up the gain on your amp, but playing more gently to keep the overall volume level the same. This may force you to alter your attack such that the thump is less obvious or disappears altogether.
[/quote]

This is now my goal, too. Having wondered why my right hand was acheing after our last gig - I then saw some video footage of us playing. My god, no wonder my hand felt like that. I had no idea I was playing like that and I'm sure I never used to! I'm now making a concerted effort to lighten up with the right hand, and relax more.

Not only should you hear less unwanted sounds, you should hopefully play easier and faster i think.

Cheers

Geoff

Just had a thought about this issue and starting to wonder if its something I've done incorrectly in re-stringing these basses, as I dont remember it on older strings, but then this is probably 2nd - 3rd time Ive ever restrung a bass ( in 10 years playing which I know is pretty shocking!)

When i restrung I cut the string about two tuning pegs past the one i was tuning, popped the string into the hole in the peg and then pulled it a quarter of the way around the post and brought to tension. But i've read that you need to have a maximum break angle to pull string tight over the nut, which im not 100% sure if I've achieved or not.

Would stringing issues excacerbate overtones when my plucking finger is following through and touch the muted string below which is what I realised Im doing (following another post in this thead I realised thats exactly what I was doing)

Some players put their thumb on the next lower string when plucking in order to dampen the sound that would occur from the plucking finger.
E.g. if you play the A-string, and your thumb is resting on the E-string, your plucking finger touching the E-string does not produce a noticeable sound any more.

[quote name='xroads' timestamp='1366034979' post='2047498']
Some players put their thumb on the next lower string when plucking in order to dampen the sound that would occur from the plucking finger.
E.g. if you play the A-string, and your thumb is resting on the E-string, your plucking finger touching the E-string does not produce a noticeable sound any more.
[/quote]

to be honest I do do that, i use the floating thumb where my thumb is on string below one im plucking, but as im plucking my finger is hitting the muted string and this seems to create the sound. its not always noticeable, but its certainly there and is not something I've recalled when playing previous basses. I guess its partly technique but Im thinking there must be something else thats making it worse / more noticeable and was thinking that it may be my technique of stringing perhaps.

The action is on the low side (as low as can go without fret buzz), but then when increasing action it does lower the noise a bit, but then makes the bass harder to play.
The strings are Ernie Ball Cobalts on one bass and D'Addario EXL160's on the other. More noticeable on Cobalts with a pretty hot humbucker.

Edited by Greggo

[quote name='Greggo' timestamp='1366037223' post='2047547']
to be honest I do do that, i use the floating thumb where my thumb is on string below one im plucking, but as im plucking my finger is hitting the muted string and this seems to create the sound. its not always noticeable, but its certainly there and is not something I've recalled when playing previous basses. I guess its partly technique but Im thinking there must be something else thats making it worse / more noticeable and was thinking that it may be my technique of stringing perhaps.

The action is on the low side (as low as can go without fret buzz), but then when increasing action it does lower the noise a bit, but then makes the bass harder to play.
The strings are Ernie Ball Cobalts on one bass and D'Addario EXL160's on the other. More noticeable on Cobalts with a pretty hot humbucker.
[/quote]

Oh ok then.
Is it more like a clicking sound? If so, maybe you push the lower string accidentally to touch the frets.
It might be your best option to observe closely what you are doing, and where the strange sound comes from....

[quote name='xroads' timestamp='1366038407' post='2047563']
Oh ok then.
Is it more like a clicking sound? If so, maybe you push the lower string accidentally to touch the frets.
It might be your best option to observe closely what you are doing, and where the strange sound comes from....
[/quote]

Haha, thats another issue I have which I guess must be related- if I fret two notes and play the higher one, the other fretted note clicks. This definitely decreases when raising the action.

[quote name='artisan' timestamp='1366038530' post='2047569']
Just a thought have you checked the neck relief ?
When my new Esh arrived it was doing pretty much what you describe,when i checked it over the neck did not have enough forward curve so i slackened the truss rod of a tad & it is now spot on.
[/quote]

Did you get the thuddy notes yes? I'll check the neck over, I do recall checking it after putting the strings on and it is pretty straight so maybe a little more relief?

Edited by Greggo

This is one of those minor technique related things that you just kind of learn to stop doing the more you play. It sort of becomes second nature to do it, like with muting strings to stop them ringing out. I was watching a video I recorded of myself playing, and I was surprised by all the little things that I was doing to mute strings and such, it was totally automatic!