Why become a member? ×

chordify...is it legit?

iconic

I'm sure this must of been posted before, but I've seen no mention of it?

Anyway had a quick noodle and wow, yes it does work'ish enough to be a very useful tool?

But then I thought - and being an upright pillar of the community :rolleyes: - is it erm err, you know....straight, legal, 'grey' or downright [i]moody.... [/i]sales of songsheets etc?

For those not familiar with Chordify, it works like this. You go onto You Tube, copy and paste the url bar, then go go the Chordify site and paste the url into a box. Voila !!....the chords are given in real time, as the You Tube clip is playing.

OP, it is possible to Google "chords for XYZ" songs and get hundreds of sites, each giving just that. Granted they will not be in real time, nor can you loop them as in Chordify. So, as far as sales of song sheets is concerned, I cant see Chordify being any different to any of the other chord sites.

Edited by Coilte

Tab sites are on dodgy legal ground though, and some have been taken down in the past.

I'm not sure where chordify would sit legally, though I suspect it might be of equally dubious legality.

I tried chordify and it threw up a couple of errors on a fairly simple song, so perhaps the rights holders would be ok with that. With all the tab sites out there I think the cat is out of the bag now anyway.

It's an interesting question, but frankly I can't see how such things can be stopped. You can't allow people to listen to music without giving away the notes. It would be like publishing a book but not allowing people to know the alphabet.

Chordify is just a tool to enable less musically-literate people to understand the details of the music. More musically-literate people - including those with perfect pitch - would be able to recognise notes and chords simply by ear anyway.

As long as the ownership of the music is not affected, I can't see how anyone can stop the structure of the music being dissected in all sorts of ways.

• Like 1

There is no copyright on chord changes. Only on tunes. That's why tab sites would be in trouble. As dincz says above what about the blues. There would only have been about two or three jazz tunes written if chords were copyrightable. Jazz tunes are always using existing chord changes just like blues.

IIRC the copyright issues with tab sites isn't the tunes themselves but the fact that the music publishers have already spent money producing "official" tab and notation books of those works that they would like to sell to people who want to learn the songs. And IMO quite rightly too.

Remember anyone can work out the parts by ear if they've got them time and TBH it's a skill that every musician should have. If you want to take short cuts to learning a song (by having someone else do all the hard work of working out the notes and their timings) then I don't see why you shouldn't have to pay for that privilege.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1365423452' post='2039274']
If you want to take short cuts to learning a song (by having someone else do all the hard work of working out the notes and their timings) then I don't see why you shouldn't have to pay for that privilege.
[/quote]

That's a fair point but, equally, if some people out there are happy to do all that hard work themselves and then give it away for free on a website then that's also their choice isn't it?

There's nothing to stop music publishers putting up a pay site containing their music is there?

IIRC the copyright issues with tab sites isn't the tunes themselves but the fact that the music publishers have already spent money producing "official" tab and notation books of those works that they would like to sell to people who want to learn the songs. And IMO quite rightly too.
[/quote]

Thats fair enough but from my experience I remember some of these books being very inaccurate !

Remember anyone can work out the parts by ear if they've got them time and TBH it's a skill that every musician should have. If you want to take short cuts to learning a song (by having someone else do all the hard work of working out the notes and their timings) then I don't see why you shouldn't have to pay for that privilege.
[/quote]

If the "official" tab books were in any way superior (if they had direct artist input for example), then I might possibly agree with you, but the "official" tab books are essentially no different to the tab sites. They give the album to a professional musician who works it all out by ear, they're often inaccurate and sometimes just plain wrong. What's next, stopping people working songs out themselves by ear?

And the idea that people should be financially penalized for an apparent lack of musical ability is one of the most ludicrous things I've ever heard. Everyone has to start somewhere, when I started learning bass I relied on tabs to learn songs, and as my musical ability grew so did my listening ability, now I do usually figure songs out by ear, but If it's a simple song and I need to learn it quickly I will still refer to a decent tab. I see no reason why the record company and a publishing company who had absolutely nothing to do with the album whatsoever should benefit from my hectic schedule.

I wouldn't know if the official tab or notation books are any better than what is available for free on the internet as I've never had need to use either. However if I had paid money for a book I would expect it to be right, and if it was obviously wrong would looking to get my money back.

When I started playing, I had some chord books for a couple of my favourite bands and after that anything I wanted to learn I worked out for myself - although by then I was mostly writing my own songs, so learning how to play songs off records was largely unimportant to me.

I would suggest that being able to work stuff out by ear is an essential musical skill for anyone playing rock/pop and one that should come shortly after you've learnt to fret and pluck a string. After all if you can do this then you can learn to play anything you can hear and not have to rely on someone else to have done it first and how accurate (or not) their version might be.

IME those of us who need to learn lots of other people's songs in a short period of time are doing it because they are playing in a covers band and making money doing it. If you have the time you can learn how to play all those songs by listening to them on Spotify and learning them by ear. If you need to take a shortcut then I don't see why it should be unreasonable to have to pay to do this. BTW depending on the deal that they signed, money from official tabs and notation does go back to the people who wrote the songs. How can that not be a bad thing?

On tab sites

I usually try and learn a song by ear.. It's good practice and aids in learning every aspect of your playing.

I do tend to cross reference with tab sites to see I am right or wrong.

They are useful if you can't quite work out what a chord is.

As mentioned most of these works are produced by budding musicians and distributed for such.

And tbh when you search a song and you see version 1 2 3 4 5 6 8 then you can rest assured these aren't the most accurate things in the world.

Edited by ZenBasses

• 8 years later...

ce  logiciel n est pas assez précis.. D ailleurs droit d’auteur pour les clips ok il est bien mentionné ( semblable) en dessous du clip Mais pour les accords seulement étant musicien j affirme la plus part des grilles ne correspondent pas a l origine des accords joué par les artiste.. juste a vous de transposer

Salut,

En écrivant en français sur un site typiquement anglophone, c'est sûr que tu vas avoir un maximum de réponses !?!

Au cas où tu ne l'aurais pas remarqué, c'est BassChat ici, pas OnlyBass...

Un petit passage par la case "présentation" serait, d'ailleurs, le bienvenu, sans oublier que la ponctuation existe...

• Like 2