Why become a member? ×

Speakon cable stuck - help!!!!

Mudpup

Used one of my speakon connectors last week for our PA power amp as we thought we had a problem with the hardwired connection.

Never had an issue with it before but can we bloody get it out? The metal tab retracts as normal but it wont turn at all to pop it out.

Any bright ideas? Dont mind wrecking the cable but trying to keep the socket intact to avoid repair costs.

You can usually remove a jammed Speakon by wiggling it in the opposite direction and depressing the release catch a couple of times - it usually jolts the metal spring plate back into its correct position.

There are two types of Speakon connector and it sounds to me as if you've used the wrong one. :)

Plug a cable into a Speakon socket - if it gets stuck then it's the other sort... :)
(sorry, it was far too good an opportunity to miss... ;) )

There are 2 way and 4 way Speakon connectors.
You can use a 2 way plug (NL2P) in a two way socket (NL2S) OR a 4 way socket(NL4S).

You can only use a 4 way plug (NL4P) in a 4 way socket or it'll get jammed.

4 way plugs have a metal release catch.
2 way plugs have a plastic release collar.

Most gear uses the NL4 connectors, but there are a few bits of kit around that don't.
If in doubt I'll always use NL2 plugs.

First laugh of the week and off to a flyer ;-) ��

That could be it then - its a 4 way cable with the metal slider. Thats the theory sorted, just need to get the danged thing out without destroying the power amp socket now

Cheers guys

Edited by Mudpup

[quote name='Mudpup' timestamp='1365405673' post='2038967']
That could be it then - its a 4 way cable with the metal slider. Thats the theory sorted, just need to get the danged thing out without destroying the power amp socket now
[/quote]

Yep.

Just press the release catch in as far as you can, get a good grip on the plug and wiggle it clockwise and anticlockwise a few times.
Takes a bit of doing but it'll come out eventually. :)

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1365449340' post='2039858']
[size=4]Just press the release catch in as far as you can, get a good grip on the plug and wiggle it clockwise and anticlockwise a few times.[/size]
[/quote]

+1. Mole Grips may be useful.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1365372069' post='2038799']
4 way plugs have a metal release catch.
2 way plugs have a plastic release collar.
[/quote]

I thought today was my day for learning things.

I looked at the speakon-speakon lead that I don't use and the metal release catch plugs were 4-poles.

I looked at the speakon-speakon lead that I do use and the plastic collar release plugs were 2-pole.

Then I looked at the speakon-jack lead that I occasionally use and the metal release catch plug is a 2-pole.

Back to the drawing board then.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1365863466' post='2045338']

I thought today was my day for learning things.

I looked at the speakon-speakon lead that I don't use and the metal release catch plugs were 4-poles.

I looked at the speakon-speakon lead that I do use and the plastic collar release plugs were 2-pole.

Then I looked at the speakon-jack lead that I occasionally use and the metal release catch plug is a 2-pole.

Back to the drawing board then.
[/quote]

I should perhaps have been a little more specific. :)

This rule only applies to genuine Neutrik speakons - there have been a number of unlicensed variations produced (not surprising as a 'genuine' one is £5+).

The majority of 4 way speakon leads are only wired as two way, just to add to the confusion. :)