Why become a member? ×

Rickenbacker Cheyenne II 2013 mapleglo

geofio

Hi 4000, to be honest they almost feel the same, as its the same neck now, lighter than a 4003, tone wise more bottom end than a 4003, but the 4003 has a much more bite to it, this is like a precision with a ric twang to it , and if you think about it not a bad combination. it has a higher output than a 4003, overall it has a smother bassier sound, but still a ric sound. George

Thanks. The couple I've played must have had an older neck; one piece, a bit chunky. I know they've gone to a slimmer 2 piece neck now. Played them through a horrible little Fender 30 watt combo; the impression I got was that they were fuller and rounder than a 4001 - a more humbucking sound, obviously - but still had a strong Ric quality. I have two old 4001s that cover the old sound perfectly so a 4004 would maybe compliment them nicely.

Yours looks gorgeous by the way; where was it from?

that one was actually a replacement that came from Rickenbacker, as these are so hard to get over here the first one had a paint finnish issue and a problematic E string, so i was sent this wonderful bass instead . the rrp for this bass is a staggering £3,350 link here http://www.ricsrus.com/4000-Series.html the build is second to none fantastic woodwork and i love the schaller bridge not sure about those machine heads at the moment give them time and see. pickups are amazing really quiet and loud and huge bass response , through my system it just sounds amazing it's actually frightening lol the bass is actually very different from anything else on the market precision thickness with ric twang . if you can find one go for it. cheers

Hi George,
Glad this has worked out for you mate. Took me a little while to get used to the 4004 sound but it's starting to grow on me. My fave is still the bridge pup solo'd which is sort of a 4003 with added depth. The best way I can describe it is that you can get the Joe Jackson 'different for girls' bass sound without using a pick!
Wish you were a bit closer because I'd still like to straighten the neck a little to get a little more buzz and lower action. I'm still likely to do the VVT mod and maybe the coil taps but still trying to decide who would be best to do it!

PS. You'd have thought, seeing as they're charging so much for a 4004 at Rickysounds that they'd know that the body sandwich was Walnut NOT mahogany! Lol.

Edited by martthebass

Hi Mart, got to say i adjusted the truss rods again last night , beginning to feel tight as i adjust them now, the neck is flat as can be and it made a huge difference to sound, i am happy with it now it is beginning to feel part of me, another thing about this bass it records really well!!! getting that ric clank in the sound and a certain growl is sneaking into the sound, i think it is a bass you have to spend time with to get it feeling and sounding right!! i think i am enjoying the bass now, it just takes time, i love the neck, feels great and huge tone from such a light bass , and no noise is good too, lets face it there are not too many in the uk so glad to have one at a great price. cheers

[quote name='geofio' timestamp='1365474812' post='2040101']
that one was actually a replacement that came from Rickenbacker, as these are so hard to get over here the first one had a paint finnish issue and a problematic E string, so i was sent this wonderful bass instead . the rrp for this bass is a staggering £3,350 link here [url="http://www.ricsrus.com/4000-Series.html"]http://www.ricsrus.c...000-Series.html[/url] the build is second to none fantastic woodwork and i love the schaller bridge not sure about those machine heads at the moment give them time and see. pickups are amazing really quiet and loud and huge bass response , through my system it just sounds amazing it's actually frightening lol the bass is actually very different from anything else on the market precision thickness with ric twang . if you can find one go for it. cheers
[/quote]

Cheers George. Got my eye on one as we speak. ;) What was up with the E?

• 2 weeks later...

The VVT mod is pretty common according to the resource forum.......
Gives control over the mix pup levels in the dual pup setting. The HB1 pups are tappable which gives single coil 4003 type sounds should you want it.
I think one of the problems with the 4004 is that you expect it to sound like a 4003; it can if the mods are made but the stock sounds are pretty good and easily tweak able on the amp EQ if it gets a bit 'dark' (I'm using an LM3 with a BF compact - hardly a treble monster and it can still cut through nicely).
I'll probably get the VVT mod done when the bass is out of warranty but will wait and see what difference that makes before looking at sourcing the coil tap mod.

Edited by martthebass