Why become a member? ×

Help with Trace Elliot 2 x10 - GP12 SMX 300w Bass Combo Setup

Fingerslikesausages

Hi
I've been using this compact combo for about a year now, and to be honest I've never got to grips with setting it up. I left all the settings as they were, plugged and played, but now want to develop my own sound. Trouble is I don't really know how to go about it.

The band I play in have a set that consists of covers from The Who, The Jam, The Specials and other Mod 60's sounds. Gigging consists of a range of pubs that vary in size and acoustic quality, so I'm probably not getting the best out of my plug and play option. I can't play around with it at home as it makes the windows shake, and sets next doors dog off, and practice sessions are in a small studio, where I have to keep the volume down.

Has anyone out there got one of these and can offer some help, or would someone be good enough to give me some tips, as to how to get the most out of what I have at my disposal. I'm playing a Yamaha BB414 with triple pick up options if that has any bearing.

Thanks in advance

FLS

When I had a SMX head I would set the input using the left hand control according to the green amber and red lights. I would have it so that during normal playing the amber light would be on mostly. Green light denotes too weak a signal and the red light denotes that the signal is clipping.Once you've done this you can set output volume with the right hand control to whatever you want. I also used one of the pre-shapes to get a decent tone and would then adjust the EQ according to the venue. The compressor on my amp was pretty good too but you need to set that up at gig volume to get what you want in my experience.

As above really but to add....
I always cut the 30hz on the graphic and would advise you to do the same, especially with 10's. For live use have a "non smiley" on the graphic,ie, cut bass,boosted mids and a slight cut on the treble, all this to various degrees depending on the venue. At home though I prefer a scooping the mids and boosting the bass and treble.
I like to cut the gain slightly to get a cleaner sound. I prefer the pre shape 1 as it's the same as the older Series Six AH pre shape. I have the graphic volume at twelve oclock, that gives me somewhere to go if I ever need a small boost in output.
Once I'm happy with my sound I can get any slight adjustments I need mid gig from the eq balance.
To be honest there's so many tonal possibilities that you need to have a good mess about with everything to find your sweet spot.
Have fun with it, the SMX is a very versatile machine.
B)

Edited by kennyrodg