Why become a member? ×

New amp! MiBass 550

CalJock

So I've just returned to work from GAK in Brighton, the proud owner of a new Ashdown MiBass 550! It's the first time I've actually ever bought a new amp! I am however still cab-less, but I've not been asked to take a cab to a gig in 5 years so I'm ok with that... for now...

I've been standing on the edge of the lightweight head thing for a while now, and seeing as last week I sold my old beat-up hartke (HA3500) and yesterday found out that instead of getting made redundant on friday I'm just having my hours cut, I thought I'd treat myself.

I think this afternoon is really gonna drag though...

I just bought one of those from a geezer on here. Used it for the first time last weekend. No shortage of decibels I can tell you. I set it up as a loud, clean tone and used a floor processor to get some grit and shape.

It was brilliant. Just what I needed and nice and compact. Not sure about the "Deep" button though, as at volume, that overpowered the cab.

Good unit.

Cool, good to know. I went just based on hearing it in the shop.

I'll be running a couple fuzz boxes into the thing so I thought that the deep switch might help me put a bit more low end into the signal.
Just in the shop I thought the deep button seemed a bit more usefull than that other shape switch, but I reckon dialing in some mids might completely solve that problem.

I really think I should give the MiBass another go. I had one for a brief time, but didn't think it was anything special volume wise - but posts here (and other threads) seem to contradict my findings. I loved the design, weight, size and features - so perhaps I should revisit this one again. Hmmmmm....

Will be very interested to hear your further thoughts as you use it more.

Cheers

Geoff

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1365097271' post='2035360']
I really think I should give the MiBass another go. I had one for a brief time, but didn't think it was anything special volume wise - but posts here (and other threads) seem to contradict my findings.
[/quote]

I'll back up your findngs.... I picked one up near-mint second hand a couple of months ago (the asking price was such that I could try it and almost guarantee my money back if I didn't want to keep it) and although I quite like the tone and don't plan to get rid of it, I have to run it flat out on the master to get the volume I need for my classic rock and metal bands. By comparison, I only have to run my GK MB200 slightly above half.

Don't get me wrong, I do actually quite like it, but 'nothing special volume-wise' feels like a fair assessment to me.

Not used it in any of the bands yet, but based on how it's been at home I reckon it'll be ok. I don't think it's the loudest amp, but I don't think it's as horrifically underpowerd as the little giants and even then it's got the DI out so if it's a bit quiet there's always the PA.

I'll need to wait until I've used it in the bands to asses the thing fully but just now I would say it's got usable volume, a great tone, I really like the eq on it, and it's smaller in size and weight than an illustated copy of Lord of the Rings, i'd say it's looking like a real winner.

I'm playing in a doomy instrumental metal band that does jazz/latin/country/blues bits, and a shoegazy noise rock thing so if it holds up there I reckon it'll hold up most places.

Aha. Now, that gets me thinking there may be another factor for me.

I used it last weekend with a Barefaced Compact. I heard before that they are a really loud cab and thought nothing of it.

I'm telling ya. If I had used the whole volume available, I would have blown all of the windows out. Maybe those little Barefaced Compacts really are loud cabs?

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1365237562' post='2036975']
Aha. Now, that gets me thinking there may be another factor for me.

I used it last weekend with a Barefaced Compact. I heard before that they are a really loud cab and thought nothing of it.

I'm telling ya. If I had used the whole volume available, I would have blown all of the windows out. Maybe those little Barefaced Compacts really are loud cabs?
[/quote]

Never used a Compact myself, but my cabs are Barefaced Super 12 for stage and Markbass 104HR for rehearsal. Both are 4ohm and I've never seen either accused of being 'quiet' before :)