Why become a member? ×

Micro amps.

Jobiebass

Been a long while since ive been around these parts. I sold most of my gear here and bought most of it from here too. Im still rocking Eudes Shuker Pubbass. and thats all I have left from my collection except a Marshall HDFX100 4x12 guitar amp which is collecting dust and been for sale for a long time as I dont own a guitar. Im looking to get back into playing bass. Ive not played since '09 when I moved to France and sold most of my gear. Im back now, been back a while but without an amp ive not bothered picking it up. Did have a STV3 Ampeg 6x10 cab, looking for something much smaller but I love the Ampeg sound. Been looking at the Ampeg Mircos, anyone got anything to say about them? Im looking at a bedroom amp but high end that will do small gigs, 2nd hand around the £3-400 mark. but im open to higher price for the right toy. Could you give me some recommendations please?? Kind Regards

Edited by Jobiebass

I heartily recommend the PF-350/500 amps. They're awesome! Loads of bells and whistles and classic Ampeg tone. Haven't tried the Micro SVT but really want to. Shops are selling the head and matching cab for around £400 brand new.

Truckstop

The Micro VR and matching 210 gets very good reviews. I had the 210 cab for a while and it was a great sounding little cab. They crop up every now and then on here.

Going higher in price/power, the Ampeg PF500 has a great tone - if you like Ampeg that is, and I do. The 350 version is mean to be slightly differently voiced, but no less Ampeggy. New you can get them for around your budget. Of course you`ll need a cab with either.

Hey mate,
nice to see you back on here and great to know you're still rocking the Pub Bass! I do miss that bass sometimes I have to say and there's a similarly specced jazz on my bass bucket list should I ever win the lottery...

If you're looking for an Ampeg'y sound with a smaller footprint and budget, how about this mini stack?...
http://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-amp-heads/pid23203/cid685/ampeg-micro-cl-stack-100w-2x10.asp
Perfect for bedroom use and it'd be fine for quiet gigs I reckon.

Eude

Seems a PF 350 head >> http://www.soundsliveshop.com/p/Ampeg_PF-350_Portaflex_Amplifier_Bass_Head/AMPEG-PF-350
would sit nicely on top of an SVT 210 Cab >> http://www.soundsliveshop.com/p/Ampeg_SVT-210AV_Bass_Speaker_Cab/AMPEG-SVT210AV
Would work out a little more than your budget but worth thinking about for sure!

Eude

Ello mate.
Yeah im still loving the Pub Bass, I still cant figure out the ACG preamp though, normally just leave it in 1 of 2 settings except the blend. 1 day ill figure it out haha.

I had a look at that mini stack online, didnt know if you would get a nice tone with only 100watt. Seams a shame to have a beautiful sounding bass played though something that wouldnt bring out the tone. I remember I had an Ashdown 210 Combo which sounded terrible (had a Stingray and Mex Jazz at the time) and I dont want to settle just because of price point.

Id pay £500+ if it was small and still packed a lot of tone. Doesnt have to be new either. Or am I asking too much from a small rig?

I used to run a MarkBass LM 250 with a single Aguilar GS112 cab, think that put out about 150W and it was just fine for small gigs, you could probably pick up something similar for about £500 secondhand on here, but for that you could nearly get a new PF 350 with a matching Portaflex cab...

Eude

Ive been having a look at the amps/cabs you have all suggested.

I prefer the look of the 210AV over the PF210HE, it looks more like my old SVT 610hlf. But looking at specs etc, the PF350/500 with a 210HE would suit me down to the ground.

Not sure if I should wait until one pops up here or bite the builet and buy new. £566 - £696 is a bit over what I wanted to spend. seen a few that have sold on here for £400ish though so might be worth the wait.

A 30 Watt Little Bastard with a 112 will give you lovely tone at home & with another cab if needed will cope with small gigs, maybe a smidge over your £300 but worth considering - you won't beat the tone IMHO.

Or have a look at the PJB briefcase for small but sweet sounding.

Cheerz, John

Hi there! Hope you don't mind if I throw my opinion in.

I tried a Micro VR set up once before. I don't think the single cab & head would be suitable for many live situations, but it does have a lovely tone.

Now, as an owner of an Ampeg PF 350, I'd say it should give you what you are looking for. You can plug in an mp3 player & headphones into it & jam away without even hooking it up to a cab. Also, they can cut the mustard live too! (I used it at Dry Bar in Manchester back in November, going through the headlining band's 4 x 10'/1 x 15' Laney stack & wwith the amp's DI going FOH.) They aren't expensive either.