Why become a member? ×

New modern bass...

bassmayhem

I got so fed up with this "classic" retro hype, like "There is no other bass than a P-bass and Jamerson is his prophet" so I went the other way and bought a British made carbon fiber headless bass. Don't get me wrong, I love the P-bass and Jamerson's work, but to see everyone roll around and play dead when someone shouts "P-bass" gets kind of boring... :shok: :shok: :shok:

Anyway, here is my new gadget/gem/toy/tool:

A really, really nice Status Graphite Streamline made in 2012, you can't get any further from classic than this. The tone is nice and familiar, the feel of the instrument was a bit awkward the first ten minutes, but now it feels like home. B) B) B)

Since I am a dinosaur, who went headless in the early 80's, this is kinda retro for me, but that's not why I got it. I got two other basses on the way too: a Lakland Skyline Hollowbody and a Fender P'62 RI, so much for that "fed-up-with-kinda-talk"... Anyway, the Streamline will be a good match to my Bose L2 rig that is the rig I use mostly these days. They will look so good together... :D :D :D

......did you leave it next to a radiator, then pull it thru a letterbox before cooling? ;)

I like it, a lot, it has a high tech' look but also a sort of, well, lazy, laid back look about it, very tasty :)

Edited by iconic

Mine's falling to bits!
I treat all my instruments with great care, yet my Streamline's fretboard is delaminating and a hole is forming in the fretboard. Cracks are appearing beneath the tuners... It's not good.

Getting strings is a pain,
Setting the intonation is a bigger pain, and those symmetrical strap buttons are no good if you use Schaller locks, because the bass won't stand straight.

Ergonomically, they're great, and they're east to transport.
They play well, but sound a bit bland compared to basses with more "character". Good in recording environments, but ultimately, they seem to lack absolute bottom-end.

I've had mine for about 3 years, and it's spent most of that in a cupboard.

[quote name='bassmayhem' timestamp='1364806151' post='2030955']
I got so fed up with this "classic" retro hype, like "There is no other bass than a P-bass and Jamerson is his prophet" so I went the other way and...
[/quote]

I went the other way and just bought a 70's P!

Lovely bass that Status, enjoy it :)

Well, I just sold a P'78.
I got this one in a swap. For the P'78 money I get a Skyline HoBo (on its way now, here on Thursday) and a Fender JV '62 Reissue (soon on its way). I think that's a good deal, since the P'78 was such a heavy s.o.b. that only hung on the wall...

[quote name='bassmayhem' timestamp='1364806151' post='2030955']
I love the P-bass and Jamerson's work, but to see everyone roll around and play dead when someone shouts "P-bass" gets kind of boring.
[/quote]
Soz, I don't get this, but then again I'm really 'kin thick.

[quote name='andy159' timestamp='1364900593' post='2032275']
oh lookin great there, just one question why does it have two strap locks on the bottom.
[/quote]
To stop the thing falling over when they stand it on it's end....

.... or when somebody shouts "P-Bass".

Edited by mckendrick

Lovely bass - congratulations.

I tend to share your sentiment about the venerable old Precision bass - they're certainly adequate for some types of bass work, and in very skilled (or genius in the case of Pino) hands they're excellent..........for some genres - I do not count myself as one of these gifted people and I've never been minded to accept adequate (as a musical instrument) as being the pinnacle of desirability. I know I sound better on other instruments.........now I like the look of that Status!

I often wonder if Jamerson was still alive whether he would even play the bass they refer to as a P these days (lol..............and they go on about toilet connotations with the Bongo!) - some of my heroes like Rainey, Laboriel, Watts and Johnson are not massively conspicious by their use of P basses these days. Do people use them for 2 handed tapping?? Or even slapping (as a bass of choice). I think not.

Edited by drTStingray

I think if Jaco were still around, he'd play a modern high end bass, perhaps a Fodera.

Last night I discovered you can get a Musicman Bongo HH to sound very Jazz-bass like, and almost dead on P bass like with technique and using a little EQ. All that, plus its own Musicman/Stingray tone, with far higher quality electronics and build. Plus, a neck sent from heaven haha.

[quote name='AngelLaHash' timestamp='1364924461' post='2032765']
looks dam good, i guess easier to handle too (i too was thinking the paddle look to it, but a normal bass would push more water)
[/quote]

... but then, you don't want to push more water, coz us humans are not strong enough. You want the most effective paddle for your own force. The Streamline must be one of the best paddles ever made, and I own a Hohner B2B.

Here's another one of my paddles. Quite similar, eh?

:) :ph34r:
best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1364935572' post='2033063']
I think if Jaco were still around, he'd play a modern high end bass, perhaps a Fodera.

Last night I discovered you can get a Musicman Bongo HH to sound very Jazz-bass like, and almost dead on P bass like with technique and using a little EQ. All that, plus its own Musicman/Stingray tone, with far higher quality electronics and build. Plus, a neck sent from heaven haha.
[/quote]

Ah ha indeed - the mind control ray of the Bongo has reached the north-east then. I have to say one of the first things I noticed about the Bongo was how it could cop the general sound of a P bass.

But I really like the look of that Status - it even has two strap buttons - one for the Mark King bass wear height and one for the more..............well Flea's the only name that springs to mind right now, worn down low!!

And was that my imagination or has someone's avatar picture changed to a small auburn haired Scottish lady and her spouse...........spooky indeed!!

Edited by drTStingray

I do fancy old school basses too. This Lakland, my number four, arrived today, a beautiful Skyline HoBo from the Bass Gallery in London.

[IMG]http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd169/bassmayhem/1-HoBohel_zps9dab26e0.jpg[/IMG]
"The full Monty..."

[IMG]http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd169/bassmayhem/2-HoBofront_zps59514dee.jpg[/IMG]
Body close up...

[IMG]http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd169/bassmayhem/3-HoBoback_zps288d02f5.jpg[/IMG]
Back close up, notice the photographer...

So far it is fantastic. Well setup, I only raised the middle strings half a turn and did some intonation. Ready to go!

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1364935572' post='2033063']

[/quote]

I would think so too, but apparently the 'experts' say that he found his perfect tone and nothing could improve on it :rolleyes: :D