Why become a member? ×

Realist pickups issues help please!

Mattbass86

Hey guys,

I'm having some major issues with my realist pickup (the standard one). The output on it is so low, and often distorted. I've tried changing cables, changing amps and ensuring that there is a good connection with the bridge/body but still i have issues!

I've had the pickup for one year, and at the start it was great! High output, good sound etc. Then after about 6months it started not working. I contacted realist and they basically said; ''sorry but there really isn't anything to go wrong with the pickup, try contact cleaner down the output jack'' So i did this but still it didn't work. Anyway, i then didn't play much double bass due to my electric bass gigs. But i'm looking to potentially do a long string of dates on upright in the next coming months and through the summer and i need a working pickup!!

Any advice?!

p.s. i've contacted realist again to see if they can help me.

I have read on TalkBass that Realists have a definite life, whereby the pressure of the bridge foot on the piezo element eventually leads to lower output and sound issues. Maybe yours has unfortunately run into this at a much earlier stage than is usual (most people seem to think that Realuists have at at least a few years before the sound deteriorates in the threads I have read). If so, a new pickup has to be the sensible option if you have a long string of dates coming up, at least as a backup. Maybe look for a wing piezo (eg Underwood, Shadow, BassMax) so you have the choice?

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1364461249' post='2026694']
I have read on TalkBass that Realists have a definite life, whereby the pressure of the bridge foot on the piezo element eventually leads to lower output and sound issues. Maybe yours has unfortunately run into this at a much earlier stage than is usual (most people seem to think that Realuists have at at least a few years before the sound deteriorates in the threads I have read). If so, a new pickup has to be the sensible option if you have a long string of dates coming up, at least as a backup. Maybe look for a wing piezo (eg Underwood, Shadow, BassMax) so you have the choice?
[/quote]
+1 I think you have been unlucky. Unless David Gage offers to replace it then I would look into another pickup.
Was it new when you bought it?

Edited by geoffbassist

I've been using one for over ten years with no issues, but I have heard they have a lifespan (more than a year!). Before giving up on it check your bridge fit - I had a new one last year that sounded weak and feeble, but once the bridge feet had been properly fitted to the top it was every bit as good as my old one.

PM me (today if possible) and I can suggest someone who has repaired them, and I would trust to repair mine?

I think i have been unlucky! haha. And yeh it was new when i got it. But i have managed to increase the output on it by ensuring the bridge has a totally solid connection with the body.

I am kind of paranoid that it's gonna do it again tho so i'm gonna have get another pickcup i think. Any suggestions for a reasonably priced one?

thanks for the help by the way!!

• 3 weeks later...

I also have a Realist. I did think that the output was low but since I am new to DB I thought that it was normal. I also get a slight backgroud hiss every time I strike a note. The instrument maker suggested that it could be an earthing issue. i hav new leads and the amp seems OK with the ebass. Think that I will look into another pup. They suggest a Shadow Sx 965. Will look at Bassmax

I've got Realists on both DB and mandolin (yes, I know!); the DB one has been on this bass and my first one for a total of 12 years with no problem, the mandolin has been running for about 6 years. The only problem I had with the mando was when I ripped the pickup at the end where the wire leaves the flat bit, so I went in and bridged the tear with wire and solder.
On the DB I do use a preamp, that definitely helps; unbuffered it's a little weak, but it's a piezo element so no surprise there. I've had loads of compliments on the DB plugged-in tone! By the mechanics of it, you really do need a good physical connection between the bridge and body.

• 2 weeks later...

mmmmmmmmm :yarr:
when i first lent my friends realist i was made up with it.
so i ordered one from "an unnamed shop in the uk" !!!
when it arrived it had a much lower O/P than my friends
so i took it over to his to compare, and... it was not the same
the copper bit over the piezo was rough cut and not straight either,
the lead was thinner,
the jack socket was a normal cheap jack socket with heat shrink over it
with no lettering on it like the realist,,,, no doubt it was a copy.
so going over the shops head i got on to David Gauge and i had within a week a brand new one sent to me
with a prepaid envelope to send the other to them in the usa, PRAISE PRAISE PRAISE David Gauge.
And yes they were worlds apart the new one was GREAT.
now i was in a predicament, i did not want to get the shop into trouble even tho i know they
were trying to rip me off ( then i paid about £120 for it) as he was a friend of my friend, i did not want to ring the shop up and directly accuse HIM , so.. i never sent it to over to david Gauge,
that was a while ago now.
thinking back now i should of went back and shoved it up has nose...
So to my point
There are copys out there, just check it.

Edited by funkgod

• 7 years later...
On 01/09/2020 at 18:09, FvdW said:

hello bass-mates,

i'm a doubler from the Netherlands and have the same problem with the Realist after a couple of years. Bought a Krivo magnetic pickup great sound and no feedback issues...

cheers

Fred van der Wende

the Netherlands