Why become a member? ×

Whos the best rock/metal bassist EVER

ashgeezer

[quote name='gafbass02' post='208064' date='May 28 2008, 02:50 PM']yup, Cass Lewis, or me, probably me actually. :)[/quote]
+1

:huh:

(I've never knowingly heard you play but you must be good coz you used to have the patience to cart around a massive Trace rig!)

Billy Gould's an excellent shout, he hardly gets mentioned on bass forums and I don't know why, he's a class act.

Pure metal it's gotta be Steve Harris for me. I love Tim Commerfords style and sound too alhough that's more of a hip hop - metal hybrid thang!

+1's for Geddy, Entwhistle, Cass Lewis ([i]awesome[/i] player), Geezer for "proper" metal, Lemmy - [i]so[/i] much more than just bass playing though!

A big personal favourite - Dennis Dunaway from the original Alice Cooper group, one of the most inventive & versatile pick players I've ever heard.

Currently I really like Martin Mendez from Opeth - very adventurous & melodic player, always tasteful & never inappropriate.

Also Colin Edwin from Porcupine Tree - solid, versatile & sometimes a little bit surprising.

This is starting to sound like wine-tasting comments! :)

Justin Chancellor's good - but he does play very, very like his predecessor, Paul D'Amour. He didn't play much like that in his previous band, Peach.

Jon.

[quote name='Jonny Walker' post='208405' date='May 28 2008, 09:37 PM']Maybe originally but JC's lines are allot more complex than they used to be (not a bad thing) not sure that Paul D'Amour could cope with the new stuff.[/quote]
Certainly Tool's music's a lot more complex these days & I suppose Justin basically played D'Amour's bass parts on [i]Aenima[/i] - most of that album was written & demoed before he joined. I do think that has sort of established JC's playing style - and also his writing style on [i]10,000 Days[/i]. His playing's great - entirely appropriate for Tool.

J.

[quote name='metaltime' post='208274' date='May 28 2008, 06:48 PM']QUOTE (Josh @ May 28 2008, 04:49 PM) *
Also Sean Malone, from Cynic. Cruelly underrated.

+1111111111[/quote]

I had the pleasure of recreating some of his bass and Stick lines for the current issue of Guitar Techniques magazine :)

[quote name='ashevans09' post='208470' date='May 28 2008, 10:39 PM']Dood! :)[/quote]

+1 :huh:

Personal Favourites: John Myung, Geddy Lee, Steve Harris, Chris Squire, Justin Chancellor, Cliff Burton, Alex Webster, Mike Lepond, Les Claypool, Tony Levin

cant decide between them. theyre all very, very good

[url="http://youtube.com/watch?v=p6-MStCDB7Q"]Geezer[/url] - the early years. :huh:

ha ha just found this too - [url="http://youtube.com/watch?v=p6-MStCDB7Q"]the very early years[/url].

Bless, for posting it on the net - I s'pose we were all this good at one point and equally as stoked about it too. :)

Edited by Ou7shined