Why become a member? ×

British made

Kevin Dean

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1364293349' post='2024330']
Out of curiosity, have you asked this question because you wish to buy British for any particular reason? Any budget in mind?

Cheers

Geoff
[/quote]Hi Geoff , I was just thinking of trying support the industry ,jobs & skills in this country .

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1364342021' post='2025296']
Hi Geoff , I was just thinking of trying support the industry ,jobs & skills in this country .
[/quote]
That's very commendable. I think you've had quite a few suggestions on this thread. Be interesting to hear what you go for in the end.
Cheers
Geoff

• 2 weeks later...

Would it be naive to suggest HiWatt, or even Marshall, or have those days gone?

Aren't Laneys made in the UK, even their monster Nexus valve amps? http://www.laney.co.uk/products/product_details/111

How about Gartone? - http://www.gartoneamps.co.uk/saracen.html

As per Mr F above.. an 80's Hiwatt 200 or 400 is BEYOOONNNDDD!!! Less said about M'ground the better. OR and early (up to series V)Trace. More recent but still in the past, the Marshall DBS 400W head was superb sounding (I agree Marshall are often overlooked as doing good bass amps).
Up to date I'd love to hear a Laney Nexus tube head but never even seen one in the flesh.

[quote name='rumour6' timestamp='1365568011' post='2041157']

Up to date I'd love to hear a Laney Nexus tube head but never even seen one in the flesh.
[/quote]

Probably because it has 'Laney' written on it. Shame really as those who have used one appear to think very highly.

So, we're up to 4/5 British made bass amps and not many more British firms making amps. It's a shame UK society would rather look make money from the bank accounts of firms doing something useful than actually do something useful.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1365605932' post='2041721']
But British?
[/quote]

Wouldn't trust their word on anything. Their own website is self contradictory. Plus its well weaselly about saying 'British' as much as possible without actually directly saying modern line are made in England.

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1365675104' post='2042607']
I was just thinking that, I use to have a series 6 . it was the speakers I though were poor the heads seemed pretty good ..
[/quote]

Yeah mine's an AH200 GP12 Series 6. Through my Barefaced Compact it sounds great - highly recommended if you like the tone (which I certainly do). And the AH is really very loud, only weighs about 8Kg and fits nicely in a shallow 2U case (mine's in one of those SKB Roto-X cases).

Edited by RandomBass

[quote name='rumour6' timestamp='1365697166' post='2043154']
Forgot... Marshall 2001: [size=5][b]8 x KT88[/b][/size] conservatively rated at 375W RMS by Marshall. Bit of a bu**er to lift but emmm very present when it's finished sucking all the power from your street and moved into KILL mode....
[/quote]

Umph has one of these for sale.

I'd like to recommend [url="http://www.rdamplification.co.uk/"]this chap[/url].

My converted Sound City's in his gallery and it sounds the absolute nuts.

Tell Rob what you'd like and he'll come up with the goods at a very fair price.

A bit off topic but I remember something Alexei Sayle said about 20 years ago:"If the British had invented the Walkman, it would have been about 2 foot square, covered in leatherette and had the headphones out of a Lancaster bomber"

I buy whatever sounds good regardless of country of manufacture.

My newly purchased Laney NX410 is designed and built in the UK - probably using baltic ply, Chinese wire and probably Chinese made Celestion neo drivers. :rolleyes:

The wooly Ashdown thing as well. I've used both separately and they sound good but together they sound sh*t and wooly. I had one of the chrome rack mounty ABM thingies and two ABM115s and it was terrible. Cabs on their own were good, amp on its own = good but together it sounded like they were a lot less than the sum of their parts

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1365942925' post='2046228']
A Trace Elliot SMX12 head has caught my eye , does anyone have any views on these ?
[/quote]

Absolutely great but make sure you learn how to use it properly as the big graphic and compressor can get you into trouble if they are inappropriately set. A smiley face on the will not work on this occasion.

IME, these are truly one of the best pre-amps for bass guitar that has ever been built. Which power stage is it? They did a 250, 350 and 600 watt units in the grey pimple covering, the latter two having the UV strip and the later models being 300, 400 and 600w with a black facia panel and the green carpet finish. The 400 was one of the best amps I've ever owned.

Hope that helps.