Why become a member? ×

British made

Kevin Dean

But as far as Im aware that money doesn't stay in our economy, it goes via the caymans isles to somewhere that allows companies to pay even less tax than they do here.
I honestly think buying "british" whatever that really means anymore and thus putting money into the british economy, is a fallacy.
Some companies may be based in Britain, and employ Brits, and they may even source their parts in Britain (doubtful) but they certainly don't keep their money here.

Alternatively, what's the difference with say a Honda car made in Sunderland by British workers who's pay packet gets spent in Britain?

I honestly don't see the difference anymore with most components being internationally sourced and most profits being deposited outside the country.

Anyone with a more convincing argument?

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1364290734' post='2024282']
But as far as Im aware that money doesn't stay in our economy, it goes via the caymans isles to somewhere that allows companies to pay even less tax than they do here.[/quote]

Only if that's how the companies run their tax.

You have to ask Ashdown, Matamp, Shuker etc to see if they pay full uk tax.

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1364135227' post='2022248']
Whats the best british make out there for Amp & Cab in your opinion taking into account reliabilty .
[/quote]

Out of curiosity, have you asked this question because you wish to buy British for any particular reason? Any budget in mind?

Cheers

Geoff

I buy British stuff because it makes me feel good about myself. With Matamp I know I'm getting a quality product built with care and attention. If it goes wrong, they are always at the end of the phone and I don't think you'd get that elsewhere. For this, I'm prepared to pay a bit more. I own something very individual with a bit of heritage and pedigree. That's about it.

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1364292215' post='2024309']
Ok, but so far the only argument I can think of to buy something "manufactured" in the UK is that the wages go to UK workers.
Any other benefits?
[/quote]

That is enough. To keep British trades employed.
I am not sure all the componenst can be garaunteed but you would think if someone put a premium on the build process by going hand-wired, for example, then they may keep that
committment going by using better made components. If they can be sourced locally, then great.

As for cabs...not sure where the speakers are made..???

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1364294501' post='2024356']
I buy British stuff because it makes me feel good about myself. With Matamp I know I'm getting a quality product built with care and attention. If it goes wrong, they are always at the end of the phone and I don't think you'd get that elsewhere. For this, I'm prepared to pay a bit more. I own something very individual with a bit of heritage and pedigree. That's about it.
[/quote]

Good move.
I tend to extend this thinking to most western economies...not out of a sense of real alliegence, and certainly not the E.U, but because the west needs to keep making stuff.

OK, perceived quality and craftsmanship.
British pay packets.
The feeling that the UK and EU shouldn't completely lose its manufacturing base to the PRC et al.

Personally, I'm not convinced by those arguments.
Quality from a cottage or custom industry you can communicate with I understand.
But surely that's only ever going to be a small percentage of what you buy?
Those Brit wages will be spent on almost completely non UK manufactured goods.
Maybe some UK food.
Retaining some independent manufacturing base is a nice idea, but doesn't really make sense other than if you fear a war with the PRC or are sentimental about the EU.

So, I'm concluding that buying British is a sentimental thing, associated with better times and a sense of pride and national superiority.

I have used many Cloud power amplifiers over the years from the multi-zone CX-A series through to the utterly bomb proof CV and VTX models.. Made in Sheffield!

Personally I like the idea of British made stuff and will continue to use it but in all fairness, if it's a good product fit for purpose then I'm happy to use it. That includes Chinese made Celestions..

[quote name='VTypeV4' timestamp='1364255371' post='2024060']
With the exception of the Crest power amplifier and my Ashton, every other amp in my room is made in Britain..

Leak Stereo 20: London
Linear L30: Nr Leeds
Beavis 50: Nr Leeds / Stoke-on-Trent
Laney VC30: Cradley Heath
Trace Twin Valve: Essex

Most of my speakers are too. WEM cabs, 2 x 15" goodmans, 2 x 15" Celestions and a 15" HH unit. I'll not count the Celestions in my Ashton cabs as they're probably Chinese.. As are yours in your Matamp cab, Mr Harris.. :rolleyes: By the way, you MUST come and have a go of this Twin Valve, it'll blow your socks off! :D
[/quote]

its still built by a miserable yorkshireman thank you Mr Cooke! I will come over on Friday if you like!

British wages pay British income tax, unlike overseas ones, that's a pretty big chunk of tax.

Having spent considerable amount of time poking about in various amps, the general standard of UK made ones is far ahead of anywhere else. Forgotten also ran manufacturers made products with far higher quality than the US big hitters, and people making nostalgic tributes tend to follow the same standard, can still be seen in modern 'boutique' stuff.

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1364295762' post='2024385']
So, I'm concluding that buying British is a sentimental thing, associated with better times and a sense of pride and national superiority.
[/quote]

I actually tend to buy British-made partly to save on unnecessary transport emissions - why have something shipped halfway around the world when it could be made to an even better standard within a hundred miles, and would keep money in the UK economy rather than the Far East's to boot?

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1364309521' post='2024625']
British wages pay British income tax, unlike overseas ones, that's a pretty big chunk of tax.

Having spent considerable amount of time poking about in various amps, the general standard of UK made ones is far ahead of anywhere else. Forgotten also ran manufacturers made products with far higher quality than the US big hitters, and people making nostalgic tributes tend to follow the same standard, can still be seen in modern 'boutique' stuff.
[/quote]

All true.

The western worker needs a certain income otherwise you could pretty much outsource everything... that isn't going to help european jobs if the cheap labour rates are in the Far East

If the U.K makes good stuff..and we can do.. then I'll start to look there... but I believe a premium price really needs a premium product as well, and by premium, I mean better than the norm

Sooner or alter, I expect the E.U to become a protected power block as otherwise they will get priced out of most markets...unless you follow the French buying maxim of 'buy French'...but would you buy their cars..??? :lol: :lol; :lol: but that is another topic, entirely :lol:

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1364304584' post='2024556']
I don't buy the notion that buying British makes you some kind of nazi. Way to go in hijacking a celebration of British endeavor for your own suspect motives.
[/quote]

Sorry Billy, I don't equate national pride with nazism.
Why do you?
For instance, when we made ships here, we knew we were better at it than anyone anywhere and said so. Didn't make us Nazis.
What suspect motives?
All I meant was personally,I'll go for quality and price, and if that means Japanese basses, Chinese mixers and American mics, so be it.
I have no national allegiance to the UK,just wanted to see if the "Made in the UK" really meant anything anymore other than some kind of kitsch value.
I appreciate the taxes and wages thing, but its really just a drop in the ocean compared to PRC imports isn't it?

Edited by Monckyman

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1364314156' post='2024708']
Sorry Billy, I don't equate national pride with nazism.
Why do you?
For instance, when we made ships here, we knew we were better at it than anyone anywhere and said so. Didn't make us Nazis.
What suspect motives?
All I meant was personally,I'll go for quality and price, and if that means Japanese basses, Chinese mixers and American mics, so be it.
I have no national allegiance to the UK,just wanted to see if the "Made in the UK" really meant anything anymore other than some kind of kitsch value.
I appreciate the taxes and wages thing, but its really just a drop in the ocean compared to PRC imports isn't it?
[/quote]

It was the writing off all of the other good reasons that did it.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1364304584' post='2024556']
I don't buy the notion that buying British makes you some kind of nazi. Way to go in hijacking a celebration of British endeavor for your own suspect motives.
[/quote]

Did you use 'way to go' and 'endeavor' in an ironic kind-of way?

;-)