Why become a member? ×

British made

Kevin Dean

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1364140053' post='2022359']
I honestly prefer the cheaper versions, we used to go to a jam with a mag410 of some sort and it blew my proper abm rig away to be honest. Mine did develop some serious issues and was sold for spares in the end, the peavey tnt I sold to buy it in 2001 is still gigging most weekends with its new owner!
[/quote]

I have found the same with ashdown stuff. The nicest ashdown rig I've had was a MAG600 head and a MAG410 cab, sounded great, and even better with my sansamp going into the input, I loved it, and tbh should never have sold it.

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1364171144' post='2022859']
Are we just talking about currently produced stuff? The old Hiwatts must have been top of the tree for reliability and sound quality.
[/quote]

The old bit isn't ideal for reliability, although I have a 200PA on all its original parts that is totally happy. A good service should bring it up to as new.

[quote name='Protium' timestamp='1364162481' post='2022781']
My ABM300 has managed heavy gigging for 7 years, being pushed hard I should add. Has needed nothing more than a minor service and a preamp valve. No lack of treble (learn to use the EQ maybe?), no fires!
[/quote]
No need to learn how to use the eq for the two reasons I stated, first the problem has been resolved by buying Genz rigs and secondly the amp failed so many times it got sold for spare parts :)

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1364217867' post='2023269']
I love the idea of an all British set-up: Shuker bass with Bare Knuckle pickups, and East pre-amp into a Matamp head and Barefaced cab; not got anywhere near the money to make that happen though.
[/quote]

made with foreign woods and electronic components... ;)

Edited by bartelby

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1364219043' post='2023296']
Oh aye, and there'd be American strings and probably a couple of Swedish designed / Chinese assembled pedals in the signal chain too but you get my drift
[/quote]

I know.

I'd also really like to have a UK made set up. It'd be pretty much the same as what you mentioned, but with Wizard pickups.

I do own a UK made Ashdown and UK made cabs though...

I think "assembly" is something that can be confused for being "made" in Britain, and is a bit of a grey area! Depends on your definition really, I'd imagine there would be some variance among us.

Nicest cab I've ever heard in the flesh was a Barefaced Big Twin. Absolutely unreal. I don't have the monies but that would be the only thing that would shift me from my BFM cabs.

Yep, Laney and Marshall if you don't mind the weight, Barefaced if you do ;)

And FWIW, I had a UK-made Ashdown ABM for a good while that never let me down and sounded great! The original-series MAG of theirs I had was pretty much rubbish though (the one they made when they thought that the fantastic magnesium-alloy casing or whatever it was would dissipate all of the heat and eliminate the need for fans - it really didn't :P).

[quote name='hatori' timestamp='1364192933' post='2022913']
Marshall :)
[/quote] The Marshall MB 450H head I have is made by the comrades in Vietnam. It has one tube on the "vintage" channel and the "modern" channel is not boomy, more mids. The all-tube head [200 300, or 400 watts,can"t remember except it costs some serious coin! ]is indeed 100% British. - no horsemeat!

Ashdown make loads of stuff down in Essex, off the top of my head the following are UK made;

BTA 400 & 300 heads

CTM 300 head

CTM 100 head

CL Range of cabs

ABM 1000 head

ABM 2000 head

JJ Burnell head

Drophead combos

Drophead 200 head

Think that's the current UK offering obviously lots of past stuff with UK made. To chip in on reliability the only issue I've had with my
Klystron head was the VU meter bulb going, I phoned Ashdown to buy a replacement and they sent me one for free the next day, can't
Beat that really. With a 5 year warranty on stuff now and a service dept that consists of one person who works 3 days a week I would say Ashdown's
Reliability is actually far better than sme people on here would believe.

With the exception of the Crest power amplifier and my Ashton, every other amp in my room is made in Britain..

Leak Stereo 20: London
Linear L30: Nr Leeds
Beavis 50: Nr Leeds / Stoke-on-Trent
Laney VC30: Cradley Heath
Trace Twin Valve: Essex

Most of my speakers are too. WEM cabs, 2 x 15" goodmans, 2 x 15" Celestions and a 15" HH unit. I'll not count the Celestions in my Ashton cabs as they're probably Chinese.. As are yours in your Matamp cab, Mr Harris.. :rolleyes: By the way, you MUST come and have a go of this Twin Valve, it'll blow your socks off! :D

[quote name='phatbass787' timestamp='1364252633' post='2024020']
Ashdown make loads of stuff down in Essex, off the top of my head the following are UK made;

JJ Burnell head
[/quote]

I was under the impression that the initial batch of about 20 (no Stranglers Logo nor JJ sig) were British made the rest were Chinese.

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1364289783' post='2024266']
Can I just ask someone to explain why an all British setup would be in some way preferable to one with foreign components?
[/quote]

Buy British. Keep money in our economy?

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1364289783' post='2024266']
Can I just ask someone to explain why an all British setup would be in some way preferable to one with foreign components?
[/quote]
Perhaps it's to match the all British car, and the all British clothing outfit, and the all British food ..... because it's important to keep money in our economy.