Why become a member? ×

British made

Kevin Dean

I've been working my way through the Ashdown amps (I was probably a Magpie in a former life). None has been either unreliable or lacking top end to be honest, the latter might be more a cab problem I think.

What about Matamp? Trace (not sure if they are still UK made), but S/H they are a storm.

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1364136266' post='2022267']
I've been working my way through the Ashdown amps (I was probably a Magpie in a former life). None has been either unreliable or lacking top end to be honest, the latter might be more a cab problem I think.

What about Matamp? Trace (not sure if they are still UK made), but S/H they are a storm.
[/quote]
I would agree the wooly thing is more the cab than the head, my genz head sounds wooly through the 4x10, s at the studio we use. The heads just set on fire which can be an issue for some :lol:

I do love the guys on here that claim how much top end their ashdowns have, never had an issue etc, my 51p with flats on has bags of sizzle! No it does not :)

So yes the cabs are probably the issue, rather than the heads. My ABM (or LB30) through my Compact have more than enough top end for me - and that's without a tweeter. Tweeterised cabs are even more so. It's a subjective thing of course - one man's top is another man's woolly. Or jumper.

However I shall look out for a mini-fire extinguisher, just in case lol.

Cheers

Geoff

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1364139043' post='2022330']
I would agree the wooly thing is more the cab than the head, my genz head sounds wooly through the 4x10, s at the studio we use. The heads just set on fire which can be an issue for some :lol:

I do love the guys on here that claim how much top end their ashdowns have, never had an issue etc, my 51p with flats on has bags of sizzle! No it does not :)
[/quote]
The only thing I'm claiming is that I used Ashdown amps and cabs for several years in several different bands and never had any fires or other emergencies, and I never sounded wooly. I never found any any shortage of treble if I wanted it. Obviously your experience was different.

Yeah the MAG heads are pretty good, I had a UK 600 one for a while, but changed to the ABM when I decided I wanted more versatility with the same output stage. The EQ centres on those MAG preamps are really nicely chosen. I think the Ashdown D class stuff leaves something to be desired though based on my experience of the MiBass 550, and their valve stuff fabulous. I've not tried a CTM though.

I have heard good things about the mibass but not tried one yet, even though my last one was crap I would still have another if I liked it. The early little giants I liked the concept of but they missed the boat with both the Genz 6.0 and TC heads being out at the same time putting out more power for the same money, I beleive they were dogged with problems too? Tbf so was the first batch of genz heads which strangely gave genz the opportunity to show their after sales skills off with lots of folk being impressed.

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1364150096' post='2022550']
Thanks guys , so the only one deffinately made in the UK is Orange ? crumbs that's sad :(
[/quote]

Orange is one one probably not made in the UK, its Chinese made bits put into a garish box in the UK. Matamp is the actually made in the UK one.

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1364150096' post='2022550']
Thanks guys , so the only one deffinately made in the UK is Orange ? crumbs that's sad :(
[/quote]

I think I sound like an echo of Mr. Foxen here, but I would swear by Matamp head and Barefaced cab. Both British, and in my opinion, both top of their class!

As if by magic -