Why become a member? ×

Matsumoku basses

Wilco

On 11/11/2021 at 08:13, chaypup said:

Is that a discount for having nice legs? 

The 80's really were a different time...

Hers yes, deffo not mine 😝

By the time she bought that she'd got to know John the manager as I was always dragging her in there most weekends. He actually got three in and picked the best figured wood one for me 👌🏼

Yup, that was a healthy discount, and he went onwards and upwards creating a huge musical business up here 👍🏼

He supplied us with a (then) state of the art PA, came out for several weekends to sort it, and announced he'd set up a 'website'..

None of us knew what he was on about 🙄

The rest, as they say.. 😀

Edited by BassTool
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Here's my 1986 Westone Thunder III Bass. Several modifications. Those Westone pickup covers hide EMG pups. A precision type at the neck and a dual coil at the bridge. Badass II bridge. EMG BTC tone control. Gotoh tuners. I've kept all the original circuitry and hardware so could put it back to 'stock' but I doubt I ever will. I bought it new from the Bass Centre London in 1986 for £386. It has been my main gigging bass for over thirty-five years and has stood the test of time better than I have. Incredibly low action, fast neck and fabulous tight, punchy 80s tone.

img_2012.jpg

img_2013.jpg

• Like 9

My Aria Pro II Laser Electric Classic, which was my first bass ever, and which remained my main bass about 10 years or so going forward, before I converted to almost exclusively playing short scale basses, one of the last models produced on the Matsumoku factory in Japan, before Aria Pro moved their production to Korea, amazing bass, and the only 34" scale bass that I own :

Aria-Pro-II-080322-Medium-size.jpg

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

My late 70s Kimbara P Bass

It had been de-fretted when I bought it. It has since been re-fretted!

I really like the look and feel of it, and the headstock shape is nicer than a simple Fender copy.

20220718_204626.jpg

20220718_204638.jpg

20220718_204646.jpg

20220719_113431.jpg

20220719_113423.jpg

Edited by Adey
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

I've never tried a Hondo Pro, but they do look quite nice.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Woah, memory jog! The bass player in one of my school bands had one, around 1983-84. It sounded fairly P-like, much stronger than the MIJ Ric copy he’d had before it. We were only 15 so anything that didn’t come from Woolworths was ‘proper’ to us.

Pics if you get it!

Edited by meterman
extra words, plus more words also
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I might not go for it, I’ve got enough basses and I’m looking at a few early precision’s atm , but you know how it goes 😁

Basschat definition of might not = definitely happening. :D 

• Haha 3

Necks on those Hondos are outstanding.  32" scale.  But the body is HEAVY!  I married the neck of one with the double cutaway body of an Encore short scale, after some jiggery-pokery with the bridge placement.

• Like 2