Why become a member? ×

Matsumoku basses

Wilco

• 1 year later...

Not sure why I've never seen (or contributed to) this thread myself - will post a few of my Mats in a day or two.

However - the role that this community has saddled me with means I must occasonally drag you all off to Pedants' Corner for a good talking to.

First thing - it's now accepted that Washburn was never built by Matsumoku - initial models were from Yamaki and production later moved to Chushin Gakki. Doesn't really matter because no-one's posted one, but pedantry's pedantry, right?

Secondly (and if I don't point this out I risk being formally drummed out of the International JapCrap Obsessives' Guild): unless your instrument is an Ibanez-branded Gibson copy, manufactured before 1976 and featuring an "open book" headstock profile, it is not, and never will be, a "lawsuit" instrument. And to muddy the waters even further, even that's not technically right because no lawsuit ever took place. "Lawsuit Era" will do at a pinch, but "Copy Era" is the proper terminology, covering. as it does, the entire range of 70s MIJ and MIK knockoffs.

In my defence I've had less than four hours sleep, have a stinking cold and have spent the last fortnight "sleeping" on two uncomfortable single mattresses piled on top of each other, under a couple of scabby dog blankets. And they call this a holiday. Trust me, you'd be feeling petty & bloodyminded too, if it was you. :(

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1487154726' post='3237519']
Not sure why I've never seen (or contributed to) this thread myself - will post a few of my Mats in a day or two.

However - the role that this community has saddled me with means I must occasonally drag you all off to Pedants' Corner for a good talking to.

First thing - it's now accepted that Washburn was never built by Matsumoku - initial models were from Yamaki and production later moved to Chushin Gakki. Doesn't really matter because no-one's posted one, but pedantry's pedantry, right?

Secondly (and if I don't point this out I risk being formally drummed out of the International JapCrap Obsessives' Guild): unless your instrument is an Ibanez-branded Gibson copy, manufactured before 1976 and featuring an "open book" headstock profile, it is not, and never will be, a "lawsuit" instrument. And to muddy the waters even further, even that's not technically right because no lawsuit ever took place. "Lawsuit Era" will do at a pinch, but "Copy Era" is the proper terminology, covering. as it does, the entire range of 70s MIJ and MIK knockoffs.

In my defence I've had less than four hours sleep, have a stinking cold and have spent the last fortnight "sleeping" on two uncomfortable single mattresses piled on top of each other, under a couple of scabby dog blankets. And they call this a holiday. Trust me, you'd be feeling petty & bloodyminded too, if it was you. :(
[/quote]

I really appreciate the information! I was aware that the 'lawsuit' didn't happen, but I assumed that people called the period that as a 'capture all', even if it wasn't strictly true. A bit like calling a vacuum cleaner, no matter what brand, a 'Hoover'. I didn't know where the 'lawsuit' that didn't happen was directed though so I am actually happy to know that now with your other points.

I hope that you are now home and under your own comfy covers!!

• 9 months later...

So I started this thread when I had two 80's Aria's which I stupidly sold on. Delighted to be a Matsumoku bass owner once more with the acquisition of a fretless 1984 Westone Thunder 1A. It came to me in excellent condition for its age bar a broken toggle switch which I have replaced. My total spend on it is £180 which is ridiculous for an instrument of this quality. People pay £600 - £800 for a similarly aged Fender JV & the like. Bonkers!!

IMG_1692.JPG

IMG_1693.JPG

IMG_1695.JPG

IMG_1697.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 28/03/2013 at 00:26, blablas said:

Westone Thunder I.
westone.jpg&key=04fc87f690404e0acbbf35686d94978159c6ec3fd5e07a25d45bf73b2a13d799
I'm the first and only owner, I bought it new somewhere in 1982, it was my first serious bass and I've modified the crap out of it over the years.

Restored this Westone a bit to its original glory, put in a P and a J pickup again, the J already wasn't stock I put this one in over 30 years ago.
westone-b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, Donnyboy said:

Aria SB 600. Bolt on neck from1979.  

20180225_144527.jpg

20180225_145554.jpg

20180225_145054.jpg

20180225_144954.jpg

20180225_145757.jpg

20180225_145021.jpg

How cool is that!! I've not seen one without the lettering on the headstock before, but presumably that's got something to do with it being one of the very first of the range as your letter states. Whatever, a lovely piece of bass history you've got there. 

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...

My newly acquired '83 Aria Pro II SB-R60 complete with original case. Also alongside it's siblings, the twin pickup SB-R80 and soon to be restored Zebrawood SB-R150. 

IMG_6956.JPG

IMG_6966.JPG

IMG_6968.JPG

Edited by Deedee
  • Like 9

That's some sort of Holy Trinity, right there. Much as I love the styling & sound of the classic SBs, I don't get on with the parallel, wide-at-the-top necks, so the SB-Rs/Elites are the ones I'm drawn to. Don't think I've seen a 60, 80 & 150 together before - SB-R150s seem to be incredibly rare.

I have a post-Matsumoku SB-ELT, basically the same as the SB-R80, but I still sort of hanker after a "real" one...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bassassin said:

That's some sort of Holy Trinity, right there. Much as I love the styling & sound of the classic SBs, I don't get on with the parallel, wide-at-the-top necks, so the SB-Rs/Elites are the ones I'm drawn to. Don't think I've seen a 60, 80 & 150 together before - SB-R150s seem to be incredibly rare.

I have a post-Matsumoku SB-ELT, basically the same as the SB-R80, but I still sort of hanker after a "real" one...

Exactly the same for me. As a kid I always lusted after a SB but was gutted when I finally played one and as you, I couldn’t get on with the neck or the narrow string spacing. The SB-R variety however just feel great to me, chunky neck, 43mm nut and wider more traditional string spacing at the bridge.

Nice to find this thread here - even if am about 6 years late!! ;)

Anyhoo, here are my two Westone Thunder II's (c.1981). I bought the fretless in the mid-80's. I also had the fretted bass at the same time but actually sold it in the 90's. (Doh!). However, I found the same one on Ebay a few years back and snapped it up.

47695023831_193611a99b_k.jpg

32751869547_b9f4ebcbdc_k.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...