Why become a member? ×

JHS Vintage Tony Butler Signature.

lee4

As a new member of the P-bass owners collective,I thought I would give you a quick overview of this bass.
I have never owned,and hardly ever played a Precision style bass before,so I only had online reviews to go by before I bought the bass(£299 from Rose Morris Music,London).
First up,a warning for all those who are,like me,a shortarse;IT FEELS BIG!If you are currently using an Ibanez,a Bass Collection Speakeasy of similar,prepare for a shock.That said,it just feels "right".

Neck. 10/10.
The neck is maple,with a well cut plastic nut and Wilkinson(not the cut price store!)tuners.It's a bit of a stretch after smaller width necks(my other bass is a Status Groove)but feels,after a weeks,spot on.
There are no sharp fret ends,or high spots,so tops marks here.

Body 10/10.
Black gloss,black/white/black guard,well finished.'Nuff said.

Hardware 9/10.
A trad Fender stlye bridge with brass saddles,solid controls that turn smoothly,good tuners.But pickup screws that are quite soft(I've rounded one off adjusting the pup heights already)so only 9/10.

Sound 9/10.(Using Fender flats,50-100,through a Markbass LMII and 2x12 cab.Tone set Low,Low mid,High,all flat,High mid at 9 o/clock.All filters off).
Wilkinson own brand pups here.As I said before,I have rarely touched this type of bass before,so I can only tell you this;solo,the sound is deep with pronounced mids.With a band,every note is clear,with strong lows,and sits well with other instruments.
"Chunky"is how a guitar playing mate described it at a rehearsal!
I can only give 9/10 as I have no other P bass to compare it to.But it does everything that ! need it to.
With the tone rolled off,it thuds nicely.Roll it up,and the mids bite!

[attachment=130857:209.JPG][attachment=130858:208.JPG]

Overview.
Straight from the box,this played well with no adjustment to the action or intonation needed.

A P-bass can be endlessly modified until it becomes Triggers broom,but there is little I would want to do to this one.

Hmm,perhaps some cream pickup covers........

Edited by lee4

I have one and they are great for the price. I had to change the awful strings that came with it which made a huge difference. After gigging for years with a Stingray this is a bit different but that may be a bit harsh. I really like playing this bass and use it to practice a lot. Got mine from DJM music for £200.

• 1 month later...