Why become a member? ×

Valve Amplifiers Only. No Hybrids / Valve pre-amps..

VTypeV4

Best of luck with them! I've used the Tung Sol 6550s in a few different amps and they're a great tube so see no reason why the 7581s shouldn't be.

Thanks for the compliment, the 135 is proper cool and as I've said elsewhere, it's one of the few bass amps I've owned that isn't a Trace Elliot. xD

A couple of big rigs with them glass bottle thingies in...

My SVT CL and my VBA 400 rig.

Both are big, heavy and stupid loud.

Both have their own sound too 8x10 or 8x12 ... hmmm.... Hard to pick a fave

70's.jpg

Also have this cool little Kiwi copy of a Twin (only 10 of them made) Sounds lovely with a P bass plugged in. Love the built in Trem too!!!

Jansen.jpg

Jansen2.jpg

Edited by basshead56
forgot two images

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Lw. said:

@wateroftyne

Is that an S212 the Handbox is sat on, so just two 12" speakers?

I've got two S112's which I guess will act similarly - how loud is it at those settings you're showing there?

Hello! That'll be gig volume, I'd say. A lot of it depends on how the drive and feedback is configured, too. They make a big difference.

So far I've not encountered any shortage of volume, but I guess VERY loud rock band in a packed pub with no PA support could be a stretch.

• 4 weeks later...
On 16/03/2018 at 13:10, wateroftyne said:

Hello! That'll be gig volume, I'd say. A lot of it depends on how the drive and feedback is configured, too. They make a big difference.

So far I've not encountered any shortage of volume, but I guess VERY loud rock band in a packed pub with no PA support could be a stretch.

Update to this - I've just done a couple of gigs in a more challenging environment with the WB-100, and it was as loud as hell. This echoes the experience of our very own Warwickhunt, who posted his experience in the WB-100 thread,.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 26/06/2018 at 16:14, jensenmann said:

Now that´s a fine collection. Congrats! 

How do those early Bassman amps compare to the 59 and blackface?

The tone of the ‘52 & ‘53 is to die for, so warm and creamy, louder than you’d expect too. They have volume and tone, which is all I need (as with my basses). The others have far more range and controls, if you need it, and a bit more oomph. 

The early ones are a bit special if you ever get a chance to play through one.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks , struggling to get high frequencies out of my Ashdown CTM 100. Treble turned nearly all the way up ??. Bass and strings ok. Should I change the pre amp valves ? I bought this amp second hand and I’m pretty sure the preamp valves are original .

• 5 months later...

39802401683_dd5251228b_h.jpgBeavis nearly by VTypeV4, on Flickr

32892158228_a4593f2495_h.jpgBeavis nearly by VTypeV4, on Flickr

31826189347_7d71ec0b86_h.jpgBeavis nearly by VTypeV4, on Flickr

I had some work done on this old thing the other week - it's been not quite right for a little while. I decided to invest in some different valves as well as a re-bias and top to bottom service to bring it back up to scratch. It previously ran Chinese ECC83s and a pair of the old style Chinese KT88s but I fancied a change and having had good experiences with the JJ 6L6s in my Bassman 135, I coughed up for a trio of JJ ECC803s and a pair of their KT77s.