Why become a member? ×

Valve Amplifiers Only. No Hybrids / Valve pre-amps..

VTypeV4

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

A friend made a new cabinet for my Peavey VB-2, a very nice tube/valve amp that costs close to nothing. The original cabinet was broken, so I ordered a new made from smoked oak. I just mounted the amp in the box; it looks nice, but will have some more bling-bling before it is ready. A nice grille cloth, a few rounds of oil and then leather corners. Looks rather nice already...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Dropped some new valves into the Bassman 135 today - I opted for JJ 6L6 GC types as they seem to have a great reputation for reliability and character. There seems to be more variations on the 6L6 theme than most others including 5881, 7581, various re-issues, re-creations and all new designs! I haven't used JJ tubes for a while but had some of their EL34s which were much better than the Sovteks they replaced.

38135842924_ab40b28e59_h.jpgNew jj 6L6s 1217 by VTypeV4, on Flickr

37964744485_541abcb9fb_h.jpgNew jj 6L6s 1217 by VTypeV4, on Flickr

38851843751_18dbe316ba_h.jpgNew jj 6L6s 1217 by VTypeV4, on Flickr

They've not yet been used in anger but I'm sure they'll be fine. :biggrin:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pow_22 said:

Let me know what you think of the JJ 6L6's VTypeV4.  My ampeg v4BH is due a re valve soon and as you say the amount of 6l6GC's and other variants available is very confusing! :) 

Will do, no worries..

Just as a follow up, I've had a few hours on the valves today albeit still not in anger although I do think the amp has less background noise..

I haven't got a lot of experience regarding 6L6 powered amplifiers as most that I've got / had have mainly been either EL34 or 6550 / KT88 based. This might make any meaningful comparisons a little tricky especially as the previous valves in the Fender were two different pairs - one were what I assume to be the original Fender branded Sylvania 'Made in the USA' valves. Might keep them as spares or might let them go as they're quite strong on the second hand market.

cool, thanks for the reply.  Im currently on TAD's but looking for something with a bit more 'bite'.  Ive messed around with the pre-amp valve and got a nice growl coming from them (some old Mazda ECC83's).  Im very tempted by the new TungSol 7581a's.  Will let you know what I go for!.  Nice amp BTW, love a bit of vintage valve :)