Why become a member? ×

Genz Benz vs Gallien-Krueger - any thoughts and opinions on my thoughts and opinions?

Scotticus

Chaps,

seeking a bit of advice here as I'm having a moment of indecision about whether to keep my current head/cab.

I've been playing bass for about 5 years now (although have 10 years of other instruments under my belt beforehand). I'm mainly a recording type, so tend to listen to things with the studioy hat on. I've only ever owned one bass rig, that being a Genz Benz Shuttle 6 and matching GB 1x15 cab. When I bought it, the lightweight market was pretty much as simple as choosing between Genz and Markbass. I went with Genz, and haven't really been tempted to try out anything else since because I've been happy.

Then I went to the bass show a few weeks ago... uh oh...

I played pretty much everything small in the place, and was still convinced I'd made a good decision going with the Genz Benz until I played the Gallien-Krueger MB500. It triggered more than a moment of doubt. It was hard to be sure amongst the slapfest, but I got all excited by the GK and nothing else has done that for me since the first time I heard my GB.

Well, a couple of days ago I found myself in a shop that had a Shuttle 6.2 and an MB500 that I could plug in and A-B in a nice quiet environment. I spent the best part of an hour trying both heads through a couple of different lightweight cabs, and even through the Genz cab, I think I prefer the MB500. The EQ seems more usable to me (in every way other than actual physical layout), I think I prefer where the top and bottom ends are voiced, and the GK is smaller too. Strikes me that although the Genz is probably the more versatile of the two overall, I couldn't quite get it to match what I was getting out of the MB500 when it came to narly hi-fi tones that are just on the edge of breaking up. I mainly play alt rock/metal material, 80% of the time I go with fingers over a pick, I generally have a bit of a mid scoop and I like plenty of sizzling tops... yep... it's kinda like being back in the 90's LOL.

So, I suppose what I'm asking is whether I'm missing something obvious. Are there clear cut reasons that I don't know about why GB gear is better than GK? Has anyone ever used both of these heads out in the wild and formed an opinion one way or the other? Is it really as simple as "you just like the GK more, so stop rambling and go buy the bleedin' thing"? I change pedals almost as often as I change my pants, but I've never wobbled on the Genz until now.

Yours confusedly...

Scott

Edited by Scotticus

I've owned the Genz 6.0 and several GK heads including an MB210 combo which had a variation of the MB500 in it, albeit missing a couple of features.

I owned both when I had my Schroeder 1212L cab and sold the Genz to buy the GK.

Personally, the GK head is far superior and it is nigh on impossible to get a bad sound out of it. It's something to do with its inherent sound and the way the EQ has been designed but I just cannot see past GK anymore. I'm still unsure about the lightweight head thing and want to see how these things are performing 10+ years from now before I give up my trusty 1001RB II.

IMHO Genz isn't better than GK, its different but not better.

I`ll throw a curve-ball in here - the GK MB Fusion 500. Pre-amp valves, so warmer and fuller than the regular MB500, so a bit more depth of sound, but still with that famed GK tone. Worth checking out.

Edited by Lozz196

Cheers chaps, all of those replies helped heaps.

Chris-B - yup I've played the TH500 a couple times. Nice head for sure, but it didn't do anything for me that the Shuttle couldn't match other than provide more onboard distortion, but tbh not the sort of distortion I generally go for.

Loz196 - I like your thinking, but the Fusion also adds quite a bit of size/weight along with those valves. I didn't dare tempt myself by trying it because my rig has to stay small for now.

Delberthot - thanks man, good to hear from someone who's used both. Sounds like we've been attracted by the same things.

To cut a long (4 hour) story short, I ended up buying the MB500 this afternoon. I physically couldn't leave the shop without it lol. Luckily it still sounds awesome at home. Only gripe I've found so far is that the boost circuit is included when you switch the DI out between pre/post EQ, but I can live with that.

Thanks again people... off to list a Shuttle for sale.

Scott

[quote name='Scotticus' timestamp='1363983176' post='2020639']
Cheers chaps, all of those replies helped heaps.

Chris-B - yup I've played the TH500 a couple times. Nice head for sure, but it didn't do anything for me that the Shuttle couldn't match other than provide more onboard distortion, but tbh not the sort of distortion I generally go for.

Loz196 - I like your thinking, but the Fusion also adds quite a bit of size/weight along with those valves. I didn't dare tempt myself by trying it because my rig has to stay small for now.

Delberthot - thanks man, good to hear from someone who's used both. Sounds like we've been attracted by the same things.

To cut a long (4 hour) story short, I ended up buying the MB500 this afternoon. I physically couldn't leave the shop without it lol. Luckily it still sounds awesome at home. Only gripe I've found so far is that the boost circuit is included when you switch the DI out between pre/post EQ, but I can live with that.

Thanks again people... off to list a Shuttle for sale.

Scott
[/quote]

The GK MBFusion is the same size as the MB500

Not better, both are well designed although my experience of GK has been the RB range. Shuttles are very good gigging amps for small stages and will last you an entire career IMO. I suspect I might want to move on from the MB range at some point.

I have a MB Fusion and its a fantastic amp, light, powerful and with great tonal flexibility - I love the 4 band eq. Previously I've had 700RB which was also great. No real experience with Genz stuff I'm afraid.

[quote name='Scotticus' timestamp='1363983176' post='2020639']
Lozz196 - I like your thinking, but the Fusion also adds quite a bit of size/weight along with those valves. I didn't dare tempt myself by trying it because my rig has to stay small for now.

[/quote]

It was the MB Fusion 500 I meant, which is the same size as the MB 500, but that`s by the by now, congrats on the MB, they`re a great bit of kit, incredibly powerful, and really do put out some great GK tone.

I'll +1 on the MB Fusion...Bob Gallien put a LOT of tone in there, also headroom, volume and very flexible eq.
There will eventually be (soon!) an 800-watt version for those who need to DESTROY! Kidding- Not just more horsepower, but a lot of very cool features that take the MB Fusion up a notch or three.

I use mine with a Schroeder PL212 and it ,makes for a powerful and lightweight and ridiculously easy to [i]schlep [/i]gig rig.
"Schlep"- to carry; as in load-in; load out, originally coined by Bandleader Ike Turner in 1964 when he supposedly said: "TINA- get over here and [i]schlep[/i] that gear in! NOW!

So legend has it.

BTW- GB would be a very good choice too!

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1364023568' post='2020950']
It was the MB Fusion 500 I meant, which is the same size as the MB 500, but that`s by the by now,[/quote]

I haven't been online for the last couple weeks, and consequently nearly sh*t myself upon reading that. I must've been thinking of the wrong model when I wrote the MBFusion off as a potential option. Tbh though, having spent time tonight searching out sound clips, I'm not regretting the impulse buy yet. Obviously I can hear what the tubes are doing, and the Fusion does sound great, but for different reasons to why I fell in love with the MB500. Hard to say for certain that I wouldn't feel differently with them both in front of me to play, but... erm... *mumbles* I think I prefer the solid state sounding one *shuffles feet*

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1363948039' post='2019879']
I`ll throw a curve-ball in here - the GK MB Fusion 500. Pre-amp valves, so warmer and fuller than the regular MB500, so a bit more depth of sound, but still with that famed GK tone. Worth checking out.
[/quote]

That's a wickedly good sounding amp .

• 2 weeks later...

Having owned - and greatly appreciated - both, I have to give the nod to GK overall. Better build quality, more iconic sound. I really like GB, but GK takes the prize. I do fear for the company now that Fender have taken over.

Plus, all GK stuff is now US-made, GB is Taiwan made... not a massive issue as GB stuff is really reliable, but US-made gear tends to have better resale value in my experience.

Slightly off but I have a GK Neo 112 (Mk1: slightly smaller): it weighs next to nothing, goes much deeper than you'd think and takes a fair pounding from my iAmp800. I can't get over what you get for the money from GK. Also had an MB150S Mk111 which i loved the tone from.