Why become a member? ×

Line 6 Relay wireless

shizznit

Thinking about going back to wireless for an upcoming band project, but not sure what to go for. I stopped using them a while back because I spent a lot of money switching from system to system and not ending up with a result that I was happy with. Everything I used sounded squishy and compressed.

I know of a few guitarists that switched to the Line 6 Relay system and swear by it, but I don't know of any bass players that use it. Does anyone use that system? Does it work for bass as well as it does for guitar or should I just stick to being hard wired?

Done lots of research into this and I ended up with both the Sony DWZ and Shure ULX-D systems. They are ridiculously good - and the Sony transmitter smacks all the other transmitters in terms of build quality, including the top flight Shure ULX-D and Senn system. Stay digital to keep your lows intact by staying away from the compounders used in analogue systems. Basically, any Line6, StageClix, Sony or Shure ULX-D (pricey) system is going to see you alright. Chose which one you cosmetically like the best because they all perform to a high standard.

Edited by EBS_freak

I've got 2 of the G30's I'm selling, after 6 years of being wireless I want to go back to a cable, I think this is largely due to the complexity of my setup over this time, wireless from the bass, wireless IEM, monitor racks etc etc just going bass - curly cable - head and cab :D

Hit me up if you're interested, both are like new with box

• 1 month later...

Sony is a name that has cropped up a few times since I have been researching. Never imagined that they would be much cop as it looks cheap (like an old AudioTechnica UHF), but I have read some glowing reviews about the DWZ system.

I have narrowed it down to either the Sony DWZ or Line 6 Relay 50 kit, but will have to wait due to some unexpected expensive home repairs when I got back home a couple of days ago :angry:. I'm back in Canada next week, so I will see if they are cheaper over there. Thanks for your feedback guys.

Unless you need the extra channel options and range that the G50 provides I would recommend the G30 instead. The G30 transmitter has a standard jack socket output whereas the G50 & G90 systems have a different type of connection. I can't remember exactly what this is but the supplied lead isn't very flexible and you will need to buy the same type of lead if you want to keep a spare.

I would recommend the DWZ over the Line6 systems - and the build of the belt pack is far superior to the Line6 offerings - when you feel the pack and see it in real life, it's a sturdy pro looking unit. The photos don't really do it that much justice. I've used it in anger and the Sony has never failed to deliver. To be fair, they are much of a muchness in sound quality but prefer the Sony build over the Line6 stuff. In fact, having also got a Shure ULX-D, I have to say that the Sony DWZ matches it in terms of sound quality (but obviously lacks the extra features that the ULX-D has).

You may however, wish to wait a couple of months for the Shure GLXD series of gear - the GLX-D6 is a great reciever in the GLXD series, featuring an all metal construction and built in tuner. Certainly opens up the competition a bit and weighs in at a similar pricepoint... The new digital transmitter stuff is great - it really is a great time to go wireless.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1366983656' post='2059882']
I would recommend the DWZ over the Line6 systems - and the build of the belt pack is far superior to the Line6 offerings - when you feel the pack and see it in real life, it's a sturdy pro looking unit. The photos don't really do it that much justice. I've used it in anger and the Sony has never failed to deliver. To be fair, they are much of a muchness in sound quality but prefer the Sony build over the Line6 stuff. In fact, having also got a Shure ULX-D, I have to say that the Sony DWZ matches it in terms of sound quality (but obviously lacks the extra features that the ULX-D has).

You may however, wish to wait a couple of months for the Shure GLXD series of gear - the GLX-D6 is a great reciever in the GLXD series, featuring an all metal construction and built in tuner. Certainly opens up the competition a bit and weighs in at a similar pricepoint... The new digital transmitter stuff is great - it really is a great time to go wireless.
[/quote]

I thought I might be spending over £400 for a good system (as I have done in the past with UHF systems), but looks like I will come under it quite comfortably and use something far superior to what I have owned and used previously.

I can get my hands on a Line 6 Relay quite easily as I know a few people that use them and wouldn't mind me road testing it, but the Sony DWZ is not stocked at a store anywhere near me. It would be a blind purchase if I go for it. The Sony DWZ is a bit cheaper though. Hmmmm.

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1366986285' post='2059934']
I thought I might be spending over £400 for a good system (as I have done in the past with UHF systems), but looks like I will come under it quite comfortably and use something far superior to what I have owned and used previously.

I can get my hands on a Line 6 Relay quite easily as I know a few people that use them and wouldn't mind me road testing it, but the Sony DWZ is not stocked at a store anywhere near me. It would be a blind purchase if I go for it. The Sony DWZ is a bit cheaper though. Hmmmm.
[/quote]

I guarantee that you will not be dissapointed with the DWZ. I had the first one in Europe delivered to me after seeing it at Sony's stand at a trade fair - I was that impressed. Given Sony's experience in the wireless video audio world, you can trust it to deliver... and Sony's products look so good too.

Do it, do it, do it!

• 2 weeks later...

I use the Line 6 G30 and had no issues at all with it, I cable tied the transmitter to my strap.

I was using it at a practice the other week and came out of the room at the end and someone said you're using a line 6 wireless aren't you! I said yea how did you guess? I had selected channel 1 and so had he so my bass started coming out of his speaker in the next room haha. Easy fix just choose a different channel :)

I would recommend it!

Edited by OBT1000_S12

[quote name='OBT1000_S12' timestamp='1367873637' post='2070574']
I was using it at a practice the other week and came out of the room at the end and someone said you're using a line 6 wireless aren't you! I said yea how did you guess? I had selected channel 1 and so had he so my bass started coming out of his speaker in the next room haha. Easy fix just choose a different channel :)
[/quote]

Ha ha - been there. This is where the emerging trend of digital encryption is going to come in useful - it's already in some professional products but it is creeping into prosumer markets - common in the lavlier systems for keeping the business presentations behind closed doors.

I have bought a Line 6 G30 (plus an extra transmitter for my back up bass) from GAK. The only reason why I went for the Line 6 over the Sony was because I thought the Sony doesn't look as tough. As it would have lived in my pedal board I wasn't confident it would take much of a knock from a clumsy lead singer. The Line 6 looks more rugged. Can't wait to use it!

Thanks for your feedback guys.

The G30 is great, I love mine... but if toughness was your concern, I'd have imagined the Sony would have been a better contender! The G30 is all plastic and not particularly tough (although for the likes of myself, it's tough enough).