Why become a member? ×

Lightweight, affordable basses?

jessicaRabbit

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1363777340' post='2017318']
Warwick Rockbasses. Nuff said ;)
[/quote]

Agree, small, light, perfectly formed and cheap s/h - how does £100 sound if you wait until a bargain appears. Quality is spot on.

[quote name='jessicaRabbit' timestamp='1363766285' post='2017096']
Part of the reason why I stopped playing bass years ago was that the bass I played was far too heavy for my stature. I'm a slender, 5'6 (okay, 5'5 1/2) woman and I'm looking to make an investment in a solid, lightweight model. I really don't know where to start looking although my mind jumped to a Squire Vintage Jaguar? I faintly remember this model being mentioned by a friend of mine for its lightweight-ness. My budget is up to 400 pounds, preferably around 200 but I'm willing to stretch it to get a decent model that will last me a good while.

Any ideas? Also sorry if this is a redundant topic, I blame my noob status on here preemptively.
[/quote]

if lightweight is important, see if you find a Cort GB74. The pickups are a bit polite, but the bass overall is pretty good, it's not expensive, and it's extremely light yet well balanced. It has a thin Jazz-like neck.
I got one used a while ago... pretty cool bass

Should have updated this earlier, I've committed to buying an SGC Nanyo Bass Collection from this site actually. The red sold me. Hopefully it suits me well. Thanks all for your suggestions. I'll keep them in mind while I build my collection :)

I used to live in Edinburgh. I miss it. Especially all those weird Polish meat shops on Leith Walk.

Ibanez SR

The 300 is blisteringly good for it's money, the new models can be bought for less than £250, which is a steal.

If however you want a slightly different paint finish, the SR400 in Lavender Blue (quilt maple top), looks stunning. They're not listed on the UK Ibanez website but they are available in this country. They're :gas: :gas:

[quote name='jessicaRabbit' timestamp='1363816385' post='2018235']
Should have updated this earlier, I've committed to buying an SGC Nanyo Bass Collection from this site actually. The red sold me. Hopefully it suits me well. Thanks all for your suggestions. I'll keep them in mind while I build my collection :)

I used to live in Edinburgh. I miss it. Especially all those weird Polish meat shops on Leith Walk.
[/quote]

Congratulations! It looks very nice. Keep us posted on how you get on. I'm also waiting on my first bass arriving - maybe today...?!

[quote name='jessicaRabbit' timestamp='1363816385' post='2018235']

[/quote]

Congrats

Teach me to skim read threads :)

I've got to agree with Jack et al about the Bass Collection - in fact I just bought a sunburst 310 from a fella in Inverness - lovely to play, great sound from the passive p/ups and it's so light you need to leave something heavy on top to stop it floating away..

There is a really nice natural finish (dark wood) 4 string advertised here at a very reasonable price - but I can't recall who else had 2 for sale here - a fretless and a red one...

I'll come back if/when I remember..

Cort Curbow, or maybe one of the newer copies. Can't vouch for the latter but the originals were brilliant. I only regret selling 2 basses, and that's one of them.

EDIT - But you've bought an SGC, good choice too!

Edited by Jack