Why become a member? ×

Any Bass Pod XT Live users here?

Moos3h

Hi folks,

Not really a question as such, more just to see if there's anyone that's loving their Bass Pod XT live as their floorboard in a live or studio situation? I've also found it to be a great practise tool.

I'm not one for FX unless very subtle, but since getting one of these I've been really impressed what a dab of compressor, or further EQ fiddling can add to my existing rig - I've queued up three different patches that have a different EQ set up and can then swap between them depending on what the song requires.

Still only scratching the surface, but I'm very impressed!

My next task is to find a case to fit it into!

Cheers,
James

Embarrassing tale... :blush:

My covers band came from a somewhat heavily equipped band that I initially depped for.
4K PA, wireless everything, tri-lite mounted lighting rig, monitor mixer, video wall... you name it, we'd got it.

Everyone had band owned pods, bass player included, and it was made clear, in no uncertain terms, that I was expected to use it.

After a few minutes of fiddling about with it I knew I was totally out of my depth and, rather than admit the fact, I bypassed it using a jack coupler I had in my bag.

I played half a dozen gigs with them, each time carefully putting the pod in front and powering it up, tucking the cables along the back with my trusty coupler joining them together.
By this time I'd wrapped it in black insulating tape to camouflage it.

I did feel guilty when a couple of the guys said that I'd "really got the hang of using the pod" and it sounded "much better when I used it".

Then one night, I finally slipped up and forgot to remove my trusty coupler before we packed away.

A brief, somewhat fraught discussion followed and the pod was ceremoniously flightcased and eBay'd the following day.

I think they're probably a good tool, but you do need to spend some quality time with them. :)

I love mine and I am holding to it. I have used it countless of times for gigs. Typically, plugged into a radial DI and going to the front house. It's a GREAT piece of kit. [size=4]My few complaints:[/size]
1) It needs a DI !!!!!
2) I find it a little weak in the compression department. I'd like to be able to tweak more parameters
3) The distos/overdrives sound a bit thin
4) It took 2,000 years for line 6 to release Windows 7 drivers

I had one years ago and moved it on. It was actually a great pedal for recording via the USB but I dont like using multi effect units, even once I had ordered and arranged sounds for specific sets. The expression pedal only worked on a very few effects. It would be been even better if it could blend the dry with effect but from memory it didnt.

Erm, I have one and have never really got the hang of it.
Think that you do need to have a lot of time to find the tones that you want and actively use them. Great, well built piece of kit, but for what I do is probably too much. Back to a simple Big Muff and compression for me methinks. So, have one coming up for sale with the Line 6 bag n' all!

I don't have the Live version, but I have the jellybean shaped one so I can vouch for that version (not sure if they're exactly the same but with the live being the pedalboard version or if Live has more presets).

I don't change effects during songs or even between songs. I mainly use pedals to create a specific sound and then leave it until I get bored, so the ol' jellybean is perfect for me.

I would consider getting Live, but I honestly think having a chain of different pedals is much more appealing aesthetically than having one chunk of hardware, and I'd rather pick up pedals that are really dedicated to one specific task and do that one task really really well than have a multi effects pedal that is just average at everything. That being said there are some lovely presets in that thing, maybe if used with other pedals could forge sounds of sonic orgasm.

I havent really touched my Bass Pod since I've started getting into the tech-heavy side of bass, so I'll have to get it out for a play (bit rude). That being said I've currently lost the power supply for it so that might not be possible just yet.

Edited by ChickenKiev

• 2 months later...

Hi James
Sorry if I'm a bit behind the times on this thread but I've only recently joined BC.
I got the POD XTLive to go with my Variax 700 then added the Bass Expansion pack so I could use it with my Variax Bass 700 as well.
Initially, I spent a lot of time finding the best combination of amp, cab and mic for each model in the bass and saved the patches as a default bundle. I used Line 6 Edit on my laptop to speed up this process. Now, when I want a particular sound or tone, I copy the basic patch into the POD and tweak it from there, using Edit to add eq, compression, effects etc.
I may sound like a Line 6 junkie but I need a huge range of sounds and styles as I do a lot of theatre work and could be doing Disco Inferno this week and Oklahoma next. Some compilation concerts could require 4 or 5 completely different rigs.
Another thing that works for me is to take one output into my monitor amp and use a jack to XLR converter in the other going to the desk. That way, I control my own monitor level and the sound man gets the sound I want without having to do anything other than balance the volume with the rest of the band.
From the start, my XTLive has lived in a Gator bag as mentioned above. I can't remember the code but it's the one for the mini synth. I've just bought another one for my new HD 500. Excellent protection and good value.

Myk