Why become a member? ×

confused ! advice please

patrikmarky

Need help...please ..I have a gallien fusion 550 amp and I'm putting it through a genzbenz 2 x 12 at 4 ohms..have just cooked a speaker and replaced with a eminence 400 w...thinking would give a.little more headroom..I've Been told putting an underpowered amp through a bigger cab can do as much damage as to bigger amp through smaller cab..I was under the impression you would damage the amp if you had the earlier set up...

[quote name='patrikmarky' timestamp='1363358683' post='2011790']
Need help...please ..I have a gallien fusion 550 amp and I'm putting it through a genzbenz 2 x 12 at 4 ohms..have just cooked a speaker and replaced with a eminence 400 w...thinking would give a.little more headroom..I've Been told putting an underpowered amp through a bigger cab can do as much damage as to bigger amp through smaller cab..I was under the impression you would damage the amp if you had the earlier set up...
[/quote]

No mate, it's a much repeated urban myth. :)

The Amp`s power rating is the theoretical maximum that it will produce, in your case 500W driving 4 ohms and 350 driving an 8 ohm cab. At the other end of the cable is the Cab. Its power rating is the theoretical amount of watts that it can handle before it gets damaged.

In theory, Cab power greater than amp power is good. Amp power greater than cab power is risky.

In practice any mix is OK, but common sense is required. You can generaly hear a cab distorting before it gets damaged. I regularly run my 1000W amp through a 250W cab when we`re playing small gigs, but I wouldn`t turn it up to 10.

[quote name='SteveO' timestamp='1363360224' post='2011820']
Amp power greater than cab power is risky.
[/quote]

In my experience only if the person using the amp is a tool. <_<

I've driven cabs rated at a couple of hundred watts (as little as 120w) with amps that can deliver 1000 watts+ (presently driving a 300w cab with an amp capable of 1600w RMS)... with absolutely no problem. If you are silly enough to connect a high power amp to a low powered cab, dial the gains on full and whack the strings then the result will be unpleasant but then refer back to my first point; you would be a tool to do that! :D