Why become a member? ×

VOX Pathfinder 10 Bass Amp

kendall

Hi there. Just wanted to post up a quick review of this little amp that I picked up on the weekend. I wanted a small amp for noodling in the front room. My current practice amp didn't really sound too great when I had the volume low. So I tried a few amps, including an Orange 25w amp. This little VOX really did it for me.

[url="http://www.voxamps.com/pathfinder/pathfinder10bass/"]http://www.voxamps.c...thfinder10bass/[/url]

So after at least 10 hours of playing, I have used it for playing a lot of metal and some more effects driven proggy stuff and it's handled it all. My big issue with my previous amp was when playing my five stringer, the B string didn't really come through, especially at lower volumes. What I have found with this VOX is a great sound even at low volume, the B string comes through really nicely, which was an issue with my other amp - it sounded too muddy. When you whack up the volume and gain this really kicks out some noise - a great overdriven sound or reigning back in the gain a clear warm bass tone.

There is a bright switch that when pressed really makes the harmonics sing. My wife noticed the sound difference straight away when I plugged in. There's the usual headphone jack, bass and treble controls and it looks rather nice and is compact.

On the negatives - quite hard to find any for the price - my only niggle is that the back is open, which I prefer to be closed, mainly as I have a dog and I don't want dog hairs in there. Although - to be fair she doesn't play bass too often! Also I don't think its as solid as other amps, but I don't intend to travel much with it.

For the price - I paid £59 for this - I was intending to spend a bit more on an Orange amp, but for the money this really hit the mark. So if you are in the market for a small practice amp - I would recommend trying this out.

Edited by kendall

I picked one up secondhand for £30. Absolute steal. Not too keen on the fuzz tone, but it can give you a nice little bit of grit with the gain control at about 9 o'clock. Also, surprisingly loud for 10W - for quiet practice in my flat, I keep the volume down to 1 or 2.

• 1 year later...