Why become a member? ×

rickenbacker police

teaser360

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1363408216' post='2012415']
Perhaps he is perfectly happy with his business as it is? People have different ideas of what constitutes success, some people don't want to own all the money in the world, I can't imagine that he's poor. And perhaps he's just the kind of person that takes offence at people making inferior copies of his special and unique product and isn't the kind of person to just let it go and has enough money to throw at lawyers to make litigation his hobby? Probably because he can't get anyone to play golf with him. Perhaps he's just a bit of a knob, or wasn't breast fed or something? Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps!
[/quote]

Good post. His company, his choice how to run it.

As a kid, the Rick was my Holy Grail but when I did get one s/h it was a bit of a dog. Same when, years later I got a new 4001s/8 which would not intonate properly, for reasons I won't go into here. Still, didn't put me off. Started collecting them again around 8 years ago and then discovered the bitchy, closed-shop of RRF and the venom of JH for daring to question the quality of the BlueBoy finish and that was that. The general consensus on this thread is that RIC has a right to protect its product where and when it can but the petty, nonsensical and downright nasty attacks on private sellers of copies made 40 years ago is what is indefensible.

I had a good Ibby copy as kis and still love the 4000 shape and sound and I wouldn't refuse one of those Greco 4000s, as per below.

[url="http://www.digimart.net/bass/inst_detail.do?instrument_id=DS01379789"]Greco[/url]

Edited by Stacker

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1363422377' post='2012464']
[b]..... and the venom of JH for daring to question the quality of the BlueBoy finish. [/b][/quote] That's exactly what he went after me for. I had bought a brand new Ric (out of territory for warranty, which I admitted when I asked the question - I just said how do I get the blue out that has bled into the binding on the neck and upper body? I didn't need Ric to help me in any way at all, except in advising how to solve the problem).

I went on the official Ric forum asking for that advice. He ignored my plea for advice and just tore me a new arsehole for buying a 'grey import'. As far as I knew when I bought it, it was a new, unplayed Ric with papers etc. He wasn't interested in the fact that the new bass had a finish issue, he just wanted my blood for it being out of territory.

When I said I would like to see him at a Trade show to personally hand him the bass and explain why the finish flaw was acceptable on a bass of that price, [i]he actually said I was threatening him and started hounding me for my address[/i] (presumably so he never comes to a Trade show within 100 miles of me). I think he actually rang my house at one point.

For a man in the position he is in, he needs to treat his customers a lot better.

Of course I was banned from their corporate forum.

I do have to say that the RRF, however, has always been a really good place in my experience.
You ask a question there and get an answer from people who know what they are talking about.

Edited by 12stringbassist

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1363288033' post='2011165']
A copy of Mr JMW Turner's 'Waves Breaking Upon A Lee' has hung upon my wall these many years. I now feel irredeemably seedy and shall withdraw from public life.
[/quote]
You have a copy of a Turner on your walls, that automatically bars you from any further contribution to this discussion.
And you probably smell of stale piss :D

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1363365771' post='2011940']
Hmmm, I Googled and found that a suspiciously large number of retailers had 'Out of stock', 'Sold' or 'Call for availability', so actually purchasing one may not be so easy.
[/quote]

There's a shop absolutely full of em in Nottingham!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1363495942' post='2013347']
Which one?
[/quote]

I can't remember the name to be honest, but that's probably best in case they send the faker brigade down there :lol: it's a small-ish shop in the city centre. I recall it being a 5 minute walk from Pizza Hut! haha

I can't help but wonder how many of the private sellers he pursues have aspired to owning a Ric, owned a cheaper copy for a while and decided its time to trade up to the real deal.

"I'll whack my copy on eBay, put the cash towards the bass I've always wanted.... wait, what's this? An email from the man himself? Awesome!

Oh.... bollocks to that then."

I imagine this is a scenario playing out all too frequently. Would put you right off!

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1363496462' post='2013349']

I can't remember the name to be honest, but that's probably best in case they send the faker brigade down there :lol: it's a small-ish shop in the city centre. I recall it being a 5 minute walk from Pizza Hut! haha
[/quote]

Music Inn on Alfreton Road. I've not been in for a while, but they do stock Rockinbetter

He asked me for my postal address. Said he had' something to send to me'. He didn't.

My full name was / is in my email sig - I went into email correspondence with him after he accused me of threatening him.
[i](I'm the least threatening person I know. Say otherwise and you'll get that bass over your head ;) )[/i]

My comments on the official RIC corporate forum got wiped.
He fobs someone else off here [url="http://www.rickenbacker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4627&start=10"]http://www.rickenbac...t=4627&start=10[/url]
Ending it with 'Let's move on' is just a tad condescending.

[quote name='12stringbassist' timestamp='1363523075' post='2013558']
He fobs someone else off here [url="http://www.rickenbacker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4627&start=10"]http://www.rickenbac...t=4627&start=10[/url]
[/quote]

Ha! This doesn't explain why other bass brands don't seem to have the same problem... blaming colour bleed on what soap you wash your hands with is a bit tenuous, isn't it? I usually rinse and dry my hands after washing them! :rolleyes: [size=4]Surely it's a QC issue?[/size]

Edited by discreet

A reply to me from John Hall (posted elsewhere on March 6th 2006):

" [size=2][url="http://www.rickresource.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=209286#p209286"][/url]by (johnhall) » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:11 pm[/size]
[size=2]I need to interject here even though I am no longer active in this forum.

Ian, your exact quote was: "Sadly John Hall and his boys are across the pond from me, or they would be paid a short visit and I would certainly come away with a replacement in a different colour. " "I wish John Hall was standing here next to me and my bass, so I could make my feelings known in person to him. " I don't believe there was any mistaking your meaning.

As far as your instrument is concerned, we've made it very clear to you privately that we would have been happy to take care of your instrument, as we are doing with other people if:

1. If it was new and legally imported into the U.K. (It isn't)
2. If it was new, the guitar was registered, and you were resident in North America (It isn't and you aren't)

You bought this from an unauthorized U.K. dealer, who bought it on eBay from someone who in turn bought it in the U.S. from an online retailer. There is no way in the world we're going to process this as a warranty issue given the complete circumvention of both the U.S. and U.K. policies and law currently in effect.

You may in fact get a chance to meet me personally in the near short term because I'm working on behalf of your government on a legal matter in the North and will likely fly directly into Manchester as I usually do. I'll keep you advised.[/size]"

[quote name='12stringbassist' timestamp='1363524502' post='2013589']
This pic shows the bleed on the lower neck binding. It's spread further now, but only a cosmetic detail in the end.
[/quote]

Sure, but it's just the kind of thing that would bug the hell out of me. :)

This pic shows the bleed on the lower neck binding. It's spread further now, but only a cosmetic detail in the end.
[/quote]

Wow! I thought it was going to be a lot less obvious than that...Obviously a manufacturing defect, and such a shame too as they look awesome in that colour. I have played and had in my possession basses that range from the ultra budget price range, to considerably higher than a Rickenbacker and I have NEVER has an issue with paint bleeding like that. And I have pretty acidic sweat! It's a shame you got an unauthorised import otherwise you could have fought your case.. Because let's face it, even if the warranty was valid you wouldn't have had any more help.

To be fair to Ric, John Hall has said that Ric did refinish a lot of MID basses from the year in question with the same fault.

The warranty thing was my own bad luck - I thought it had been supplied new direct to a dealer in Glasgow.
It was sold as new. [i]I could have gone back to him with it, [/i]but didn't want to part with the bass.

[/quote]

I remember following this thread on RRF at the time with interest. John Hall could not take responsibility for, nor acknowledge there was a problem with the bass. All you'd asked for was a pointer to a solution - he spent most of the time blaming the bleed on poor care of the bass post purchase. I thought his attitude in general was digusting - he came across as a nasty, evasive guy.