Why become a member? ×

To Cancel a gig?

TommyK

some time ago in land far far away,we looked forward to punch up pubs,gave the band something to watch ( should write a book one day ),but there can be problems at the best venues,never really had any direct conflict,as you have a female up front, no worries, they are well respected by most men, but if the band are not happy,dont do it.

[quote name='TommyK' timestamp='1363272686' post='2010814']
Cancelled. Thanks for all the advice people.

Landlord not happy but also not telling me the whole truth when I spoke to him with my concerns/issues so nevermind... we move on. Plenty of other places to play.
[/quote]

Being local, I am intrigued by which pub this is - feel free to use PM if you want to keep it non-public. :)

[quote name='DorsetBlue' timestamp='1363351188' post='2011613']
Being local, I am intrigued by which pub this is - feel free to use PM if you want to keep it non-public. :)
[/quote]

Will do.

Bit of an update on this.

Our singer e-mailed the local newspaper's gig guide man to tell him we were no longer playing there on Saturday, this was his reply:

[i]Just as well. Tale a tip: Don’t accept gigs at the ********. It’s hell playing there and they often don’t pay up at the end of the night.[/i]
[i]I’ve heard this from several local bands.[/i]

:) So seems like we did the right thing in the end.

You've probably made the right decision. If it don't feel right, don't do it. Gigging is supposed to be fun and there's a lot of expensive gear to be trashed. Always worth checking with other bands that have played there recently.

Last year my band played a pub in London. It turned out to be a 'football' pub. They'd been to the match during the day and were totally bladdered. During our set they were falling into the gear, one of them wanted to 'have a go on the drums' and was encouraged by the landlord who had also been at the match. We didn't allow it which caused angry looks and attitude. We'd done our 2 hour set and the landlord demanded more because 'it was in the contract'. What contract? We did another 20 minutes by which time it was way past midnight. The landlord was completely out of it by this time and went to bed. A barmaid paid us - less than we'd agreed with him but there was nothing we could do. When we took the gear out to the cars, the car park was full of drunks. We had 2 more gigs booked at the venue and cancelled them both. It's just not worth it.

Thankfully it happens very rarely.