Why become a member? ×

Bongo Fever

Funkslut

The desire.... Nay !!! The need bordering on the primeval & lustful has overcome me.
I can think of nothing but bongo 5 H's.
Is this ?[list=1]
[*]A recognised condition.
[*]Curable.
[*]Unusual.
[*]A love that should be embraced.
[*]A sin & should be ignored.
[/list]
Any pros & cons from Bongoists (Is that a word ?) or Non Bongoites (Not sure about that one either) On the Impending purchase of said beast would be appreciated.
Regards & thanks in advance.

Didn't Musicman20 buy one a while ago? :ph34r: :modspank:

I love the sound of them, and I appreciate the amount of design work that went into them - but I can't say that I'm a fan of the styling...

Edited by Conan

I had a bongo 4 HH briefly, it was a great bass to play, action was good, sat nicely on a strap, was pretty lightweight, neck was amazing but I just couldn't get on with the preamp. I say the same thing about most active basses though.

OP. It's a "Bongoloid" that you need to speak to.. just so you have the proper terminology like innit..

I had a 5HH. Quality bass for sure, beautiful to play. I didn't really get on with the tone either TBH, not my cup of tea, very powerful pre-amp but you can't make it sound like a Stingray.....

Not recognised by me at any rate.
I can also think of 4-H, 4-HH, 4-HS, 5-HH, 5-HS, 6-H, 6-HH and 6-HS.
Then again, we're all different, aren't we? ;)

As to the H vs. HH or HS, the opinions differ on whether the HH and/or HS can simulate the sweet spot sound of the H. There's some stuff about that on the Music Man fora. I wouldn't know. Safe answer of course is that it can't, but I wouldn't just simply dismiss the alternative view held by some experienced Bongo owners.

My only point from a personal perspective is that I love the Low Mid and High Mid of the 4-band EQ as the real character shapers, and I thought the H is 3-band. Maybe I'm wrong.
Other than that, tone, ergonomics, design, colour choices etc of the Bongo are stellar in my book - except the fugly headstock.

I'm currently even finishing a poo scratchplate for a white Bongo.
That and a lid of course. :)

best,
bert

Played one for a about two years

Good points

Great clear tone with a lot of possibilities
Light weight
Second hand you can get a near mint one for about half the price of a new one.
If you play any sort of metal it will cut through the guitar players amp like a limerick man with a knife

Bad points

Looks like a toilet seat
Bottom horn cuts into your leg when sitting
Painted neck chips far too easy
Tone is not to everyone's taste
Looks like a toilet seat

The neck for me was a big issue as I bought it s/h and it had a chip in the middle of the neck right where the 5 th fret is so I could feel it on my thumb all night long. I sanded the whole thing down an it worked out fine.
I have a love hate thing with them as I love the tones you can get but I never liked how they look and how they cut the the leg off ya when at home praticing.

I would go second hand and hold out for a while as you will get one s/h minty fresh as lots of guys buy them and sell them pretty quick.

IMHO a good all round bass, price tag is a bit too high for it and you may want to shift it again.
D

I have recently bought one.

I think the design/overall style is very modern and cooler than you'd think when you actually have it in front of you.

Eg, the body is quite elegant and well thought out.

If you get one, don't get a dark colour. Get a very bright colour as it really shows off the design.

The pre-amp is very powerful, as are the pups. The neck is very comfy, they play very well, and they sound very 'Musicman'.

Disadvantages? - The prices are, as everything else, going up. Not many people 'get' the Bongo.

I had one for a while as I felt I needed to at least try one even if I do think they are bloody fuggly* :D

I decided I prefer a Stingray 5, I didn't use the extra frets or the very powerful eq and mine wasn't any lighter then other 5's I own.

*quite like the look of the Stealth though.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1363190735' post='2009484']
My only point from a personal perspective is that I love the Low Mid and High Mid of the 4-band EQ as the real character shapers, and I thought the H is 3-band. Maybe I'm wrong.
[/quote]

You're definitely correct - 3 band on the H Bongo (possbly 4 band if you have a piezo?). I agree that the mid controls are great - espespecially that low mid. The bass control is unreal - you can get shed loads if you boost it. I have a 5HHp which I bought used - it's very good indeed.

I agree you can't get one to sound like a Stingray, quite a different underlying tone IMO. They cut through just great and lots of people comment favourably on the looks (it seems non bass players and particularly non musicians rather like the look of them - especially women!).

They also have a blend knob rather than the 5 way switch used for coil tap on SR4 and SR5s and Sterlings - I find it slightly more restrictive, but probably just what I'm used to.

Edited by drTStingray

Most people have never played a Bongo. So be careful who you listen to. My Bongo is the only bass ever to produce an unsolicited compliment from a drummer (re the tone). It's got a great neck. And the preamp controls are very easy once you learn not to over-control. No point repeating what others have said, so the only other point I'll add is that it's also very quiet.

CB

I love the Bongo . I think they sound fantastic for modern music , feel comfortable to play and are one of the few basses on the market to have a unique and original tone and overall design concept . Like Swanbrook mentions , some folks find that they feel uncomfortable on you knee sitting down , but it has never really bothered me . The only other caveat I would add is that they are a relentlessy modern sounding bass , so if you were looking to allude to or recreate some classic or vintage tones then I would look elsewhere , but if you want a hi-tech bass that sounds punchy as hell , that will get you heard in the mix and that looks sharp then a Bongo Bass is a great choice .

I have owned 3 so am qualified to comment. The electrics really are something else. If I could buy those seperately I would be all over them like a bad rash. Stupendous sound. The lower horn dug into my leg when sitting down. I play sitting down enough for it to be an issue so am no longer Bongoed up. It does roar though.

Thanks for everyones input It is much appreciated...Does anyone have thoughts on the different pick up configurations ? I am leaning towards the H mainly because it wont take me too far out of my comfort zone & I am not sure that the HH won't get a bit overcrowded with options !

I like mine (an HS 4 string). I would actually recommend the HS as it gives you some options. The single coil gives a real P-bass thump. It's the only bass I have played where you can make a significant difference in the sound just by moving your right hand position a bit. It feels altogether more modern than the Stingray with comparable playability (i.e. nice neck).

The downsides are, "oh... why didn't you bring the Stingray" from others in the band and, as has been said, the EQ is a bit much. The stacked knobs are a bit counter-intuitve in a rush. However, I'm the guy who won't play a Jazz because it has two volume knobs!!

[quote name='sexy666' timestamp='1363509290' post='2013393']
I've just ordered my first Bongo 5, it will comes in the middle of April. I'll write a little review about it :)
[/quote]

Out of interest did you order it from Bass Central? just wondering as I thought they were not aloud to export new MM basses.

[quote name='samuel' timestamp='1363508227' post='2013387']
Could any bongo hh owners tell me how high their pickups are against the bottom strings please?
[/quote]

The same settings as all HH Musicman basses (I asked the question myself of EBMM customer services having received my 5HH used with the neck pick up set flush with the scratch plate (which was incorrect)).

[url="http://www.music-man.com/faq/music-man-basses"]http://www.music-man...usic-man-basses[/url]

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='Funkslut' timestamp='1363498188' post='2013352']
Thanks for everyones input It is much appreciated...Does anyone have thoughts on the different pick up configurations ? I am leaning towards the H mainly because it wont take me too far out of my comfort zone & I am not sure that the HH won't get a bit overcrowded with options !
[/quote]

The H is fantastic , but sounds more similar to a Stingray than the other configurations . It's not exactly the same , but the HH and HS are far more different to a 'Ray , let me put it like that . The H only has a three band E.Q , whereas the two pickup models have a four band , so that is also something to consider if you are desperate for a four band E.Q - I think the three band on the H is fine on that bass , but the four band helps give a nice midrange edge to the sound of the HH and HS. I like the HH Bongo best , but all of them ,including the single H , sound wicked . You really can't go wrong in terms of sound whichever you choose .

Edited by Dingus

For me, the HH ist the best of the PU combinations. I played a HS for about two years and every time i picked up a HH at a store i whished mine was a HH too. The H is superb, too, but you will def miss the low and high mid control, they really are the heart of the Bongo. Great Bass btw! Mine was a stealth Bongo 4 HS and while looking completely badass the stealth finish is like nitro finish, it is easily chipped and worn off.