Why become a member? ×

Heaviest Riff Ever!

cheddatom

Don't get me wrong, I love Sabbath... I was brought up as a young kid in a house listening to Deep Purple, Queen, Thin Lizzy, Bowie, Sabbath etc... but HEAVIEST RIFF EVER??? Ok... 'most iconic metal riff ever' or 'most influential metal riff ever'... but folk saying things like Zeppelin and Sabbath have recorded 'the [b]heaviest [/b]riff ever'... reeks of arrogance and ignorance to me I'm afraid. It's a predictable answer and before I even looked at the thread I guessed some folk would say these things! The only surprise to me is that someone hasn't named a Beatles song as 'Heaviest Riff EVER' yet, which I was honestly expecting.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1362960538' post='2006878']
The most dread in the least notes is pretty much done with the Black Sabbath riff. Too much else is the same with added notes.
[/quote]
Well then you could say Mozart wrote the heaviest riff ever, and Black Sabbath electrified it. I would find that easier to swallow. I really do understand the influence Sabbath had on the metal genre, and how much they influenced pretty much every metal band going today... I just find saying 'Iron Man is the heaviest riff ever' is an easy answer, with added cool points because you're being retro!

[quote name='mbellishment' timestamp='1362961445' post='2006886']
Don't get me wrong, I love Sabbath... I was brought up as a young kid in a house listening to Deep Purple, Queen, Thin Lizzy, Bowie, Sabbath etc... but HEAVIEST RIFF EVER??? Ok... 'most iconic metal riff ever' or 'most influential metal riff ever'... but folk saying things like Zeppelin and Sabbath have recorded 'the [b]heaviest [/b]riff ever'... reeks of arrogance and ignorance to me I'm afraid. It's a predictable answer and before I even looked at the thread I guessed some folk would say these things! The only surprise to me is that someone hasn't named a Beatles song as 'Heaviest Riff EVER' yet, which I was honestly expecting.
[/quote]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHYOXyy1ToI

Peter Hook wins

2nd place to Yob.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eNztVgCc9k

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1362954484' post='2006812']
I'd love to have been at the hippy fair they did as one of their first gigs and checked out the looks on the faces when this dropped.
[/quote]

Sorry, but this is going to sound really big headed but I do not mean to be.

Back in early September 1969 I happened to be in Wessex Studio with a mates band with Tony Clarke producing.

Mr. Clarke put on The KC master of 21st Century Schizoid Man for our delectation.

F**K Me! :o
I felt as if I had been hit round the back of the head with a cricket bat - incredibly heavy and very advanced for it's time.

Best thing I'd ever heard 'til then and there have not been many others since IMHO.

I came very close to walking away from attempting to play bass or any other musical instrument at that point, believe me.

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1362954484' post='2006812']
I'd love to have been at the hippy fair they did as one of their first gigs and checked out the looks on the faces when this dropped. Still heavy as hell, I need to learn it actually.

Also a good one, I do like a bit of Cave In.
[/quote]

listen to how overdriven the bass is!

[quote name='mbellishment' timestamp='1362961859' post='2006892']
Well then you could say Mozart wrote the heaviest riff ever, and Black Sabbath electrified it. I would find that easier to swallow. I really do understand the influence Sabbath had on the metal genre, and how much they influenced pretty much every metal band going today... I just find saying 'Iron Man is the heaviest riff ever' is an easy answer, with added cool points because you're being retro!
[/quote]

mars the bringer of war by holst is real heavy and riffy

[quote name='umph' timestamp='1363039261' post='2007549']
mars the bringer of war by holst is real heavy and riffy
[/quote]

Yepp.

I find lots of romantic and neo-classical stuff to be pretty heavy since around that time the range of notes available on a piano, the use of sustain and use of brass instruments were being developed more.

Mozart though for me is not heavy at all. From playing double bass in orchestras I found a lot of his stuff to be pretty light and fluffy in comparison to Beethoven, Stravinsky and more later composers. Mozart to me is like the Beatles. I'm sure it is musical genius but it doesn't really do much for me personally.

Love me some Mahler too. The heavy stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URKGIa0b_jI

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1363040871' post='2007584']
Yepp.

I find lots of romantic and neo-classical stuff to be pretty heavy since around that time the range of notes available on a piano, the use of sustain and use of brass instruments were being developed more.

Mozart though for me is not heavy at all. From playing double bass in orchestras I found a lot of his stuff to be pretty light and fluffy in comparison to Beethoven, Stravinsky and more later composers. Mozart to me is like the Beatles. I'm sure it is musical genius but it doesn't really do much for me personally.

Love me some Mahler too. The heavy stuff.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URKGIa0b_jI[/media]
[/quote]Superb.

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1363023634' post='2007142']
Sorry, but this is going to sound really big headed but I do not mean to be.

Back in early September 1969 I happened to be in Wessex Studio with a mates band with Tony Clarke producing.

Mr. Clarke put on The KC master of 21st Century Schizoid Man for our delectation.

F**K Me! :o
I felt as if I had been hit round the back of the head with a cricket bat - incredibly heavy and very advanced for it's time.

Best thing I'd ever heard 'til then and there have not been many others since IMHO.

I came very close to walking away from attempting to play bass or any other musical instrument at that point, believe me.
[/quote]

Nah, cool story. Fripp is a genius but it's terrifying how much work he puts into being that way. 'Discipline' is from my birth year which makes it a nice co-incidence that it's my favourite KC album.

I've only just got onto a PC to check out some of these 'heaviest riffs ever'.

It seems to me that for bass players and musicians there seems to be a complete lack of understanding of the term riff. It's a basic musical term we should all be familiar with:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ostinato#Riff

Typically they're 1-8 bar phrases that repeat within the melody.

That's why Sabbath et al are referenced as riff based metal. I don't think a lot of these 'heavy' examples contain any riffs, or none that I can identify.

For something to be heavy or contain weight it also has to contain a lot of light or space and some syncopation so that the notes punch in all the right places. The bass and rhythm has to double or support the lead fully. Iron Man is a great example, is it the heaviest? Probably not but it has all the elements of classic riff based metal. Some of the Budgie stuff meets the criteria but not that heavy. Maybe some early Anthrax might hit the mark, anything of the Among The Living album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pTRXboRhyI