Why become a member? ×

Knot in the maple damaging my Jazz neck

fred8816

[size=5][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Hello everyone[/font][/size]

[size=5][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A warped spot around 7th fret is causing my Jazz bass to buzz heavily on the first few frets. At first I thought it was due to the age of the instrument but then I took it to a local luthier where the guy told me it was the Knot (or grain patterns that looked like there was a branch coming out) which is a weak-point in the neck's construction. [/font][/size]

[size=5][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Does this happen often? I have never seen these type of patterns on a maple neck before, if this is a Fender quality problem, will they repair or replace the neck if I'm not the original buyer?[/font][/size]

[size=5][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]I don't want to spend an arm and a leg to buy a replacement neck... [/font][/size]

[size=5][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Thank you for your time.[/font][/size]

[size=1]

[/size]

Edited by fred8816

I wouldn't call that a knot, more a patch of flame. You can see that the grain itself (the lines running from left to right) is not affected by this flame. The flame itself is a kind distortion in the wood fibres in the form of a ripple (chatoyance).

I work with wood, but am not a luthier, so can't say for sure about the flame effect on the neck. i work with flame a lot, and it seems just as strong as normal maple. There are many high end necks made from 100% flamed maple, and it seems to have no detrimental effect.

I can't see Fender replacing it if you're not the original buyer. In any case, I'd definitely take it to a luthier and see what can be done to improve matters. The figuring on the neck could be entirely coincidental and not be an imperfection at all. [size=4]It must have been like this from new, so why would the problem have been ignored during the twenty-odd years the bass has been in existence? :)[/size]

I very much doubt that this 'knot' is causing the problem. The wood isn't growing any more but could - even though dried out at time of assembly - still be losing moisture through the finish. As others have stated, this shouldn't require a new neck and that a combo of neck, fret and nut work should solve this. That said, which way is the 'warp'? Can you describe it?

Please go to your local luthier in Exeter and show him this diagram:

[url="http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=fZQQ1LSp6XsxkM&tbnid=cVGFZDywK6biIM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.atheistnexus.org%2Fprofiles%2Fblogs%2Fmr-ken-ham-the-science-guy&ei=Ujw4UdWfNsju0gWQ5IGgCA&psig=AFQjCNEmUfffCGoKoFS90Z_alT5Lxu_Sgg&ust=1362726320386114"][/url]

I've never seen a nicer piece of maple and by God there is nothing wrong with the grain pattern in that wood. As anyone has said all it needs is a fret redress.

And I have never heard a luthier talking so much crap. He should be shot.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1362640110' post='2002444']
Please go to your local luthier in Exeter and show him this diagram:

[url="http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=fZQQ1LSp6XsxkM&tbnid=cVGFZDywK6biIM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.atheistnexus.org%2Fprofiles%2Fblogs%2Fmr-ken-ham-the-science-guy&ei=Ujw4UdWfNsju0gWQ5IGgCA&psig=AFQjCNEmUfffCGoKoFS90Z_alT5Lxu_Sgg&ust=1362726320386114"][/url]

I've never seen a nicer piece of maple and by God there is nothing wrong with the grain pattern in that wood. As anyone has said all it needs is a fret redress.

And I have never heard a luthier talking so much crap. He should be shot.
[/quote]

This bass is in Exeter? I'd so laugh if the luthier was Hugh Manson! If it isn't, just take it to him, he seems to know a thing or two.

You may have picked up a common theme here....?

As an avid 'tinkerer' but a remote pupil of dan Erlewine I have to agree and add my support to those comments above. Any warping caused by moisture change in he wood would be very minor in an instrument of this age and stability. Warping is a lateral twist (across the strings rather than inline with them) that is normally a fatal condition, however is almost exclusively found in really heap budget instruments that source wood from the likes of European beef suppliers.....

As much I'm not a fan of Fender QC they would not use a piece of maple that had not got a correct grain pattern for a neck. I like others agree that it is a pretty neck.

Again as others have stated his neck needs a proper fret dress from someone who does know his arse from his elbow........

[quote name='fred8816' timestamp='1362618907' post='2002408']

Thank you RR,

It's not the flame I was concerned about, but the circular grain which is around the same area... sorry for the quality of pictures I took, see the third photo for a clearer view...

My question is, if Fender is picky enough to showcase their selection of wood on different classes of their instruments, why would this imperfection (the circle that's likely where a branch was) exist on their highest quality CS while even Squier basses don't have?

http://www.fender.com/news/quartersawn-necks/
[/quote]

Sorry, I was concentrating on the flame, as the grain didn't look all that unusual to me. I've just gone up to look at my '78P, and guess what? part of the neck has circular grain with a bit of flame!
Trees are not perfectly straight, and when you chuck them through a saw, you may find stretches of quarter sawn turning into patches of tangentally sawn. Mine has never had any issues, and I certainly wouldn't call it an imperfection. Like the others have said, get a proper service done and it'll be right as rain. Lovely bass btw :-)

Edited by Roland Rock

Several of my Fender necks have similar grain patterns, they're all fairly stable and have no problems with buzzing.

Is there any twist in the neck when you look down the length of it from one end? If the grain is causing the problem I would expect the neck to be twisted given the position of the 'knot'. (I wouldn't call it a knot anyway)

Have the frets been levelled and the fretbuzz returned after a while? If so then maybe the neck has a fault.

Otherwise I'd suggest getting the frets levelled and see if the problem returns, I reckon it's OK.

Edited by Fat Rich

P.S. to all the above - a common reason for fret buzz on the first few frets is that the truss rod is over-tightened, thus bending the neck in a back bow, dropping the nut relative to the bridge & therefore the strings rattle off the frets near to the nut.

If you can, try turning the truss rod adjuster about 1/4 turn anti-clockwise, leave for a couple of hours & see if there's been an improvement.

G.

I too think you have been told a load of tosh. Fret dress and setup is the first thing to do - provided the trussrod is set correctly. However, if it is sideways neck warp, then you are stuffed. Sorry to say that, but thats the way of it. Makers like Alembic install dual trussrods so this is totally avoidable.

I wish you luck with it.

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1362633659' post='2002430']
I very much doubt that this 'knot' is causing the problem. The wood isn't growing any more but could - even though dried out at time of assembly - still be losing moisture through the finish. As others have stated, this shouldn't require a new neck and that a combo of neck, fret and nut work should solve this.
[/quote]

Like others said, I would be extremely surprised if that grain pattern was the casuse of any trouble, and even more surprised if your issues coudl not be fixed by a competent tech.

Really, take your bass somewhere else for a second opinion. Find a reputable guy, not just someone who happens to say they know what they are doing. Many so-called guitar techs are pretty clueless.

Just had another look at the OP. If it was one-piece neck I could see the tech's point - [i]maybe[/i] - but since it's a separate board & if his theory had any truth I'd expect to see at least a slight gap or distortion in the join where the board is fixed to the neck in the area of the "knot".

So far all you know is you've got buzzing frets.

Look down the neck. Is it straight, bent or warped?

Who told you the buzz was caused by a knot in the neck? Was it Mansons or someone else?

I'd email Charlie Chandler and The Bass Gallery with the photos and ask for 2nd opinions.

[quote name='geoffbyrne' timestamp='1362653936' post='2002716']
P.S. to all the above - a common reason for fret buzz on the first few frets is that the truss rod is over-tightened, thus bending the neck in a back bow, dropping the nut relative to the bridge & therefore the strings rattle off the frets near to the nut.

If you can, try turning the truss rod adjuster about 1/4 turn anti-clockwise, leave for a couple of hours & see if there's been an improvement.

G. I agree and this backbow could be the winter weather causing your fret buzz.
[/quote]

As above, not a knot. The flame comes from that particular area being more on the quarter than the rest of the neck. Fender use flatsawn maple which can be a little 'whippy'. A fret level should fix your fret buzz but I'm afraid there's very little you can do about the rest of the instrument ;) ;) ;)

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1362765016' post='2004559']
This is exactly why I avoid buying Fenders nowadays. Why use a piece of Maple with an irregular grain pattern for a neck in the first place? Surely its asking for potential grief?

Now; time to look out the suit of armour before the howling Fender mob descend upon me.
[/quote]

Would you classify a 1989 instrument in the 'nowadays' category? :)

That isn't a knot. It looks like a typical flat-sawn piece of maple with a bit of curly figure. The grain pattern is not irregular. Some people confuse grain with figure. It's a common misperception. There is nothing unusual that you won't find in the vast majority of maple necks, some of which are pretty high-end. I own Sadowskys and Mike Lulls that are constructed in the same way.

If there is a twist it would be quite obvious, and you can usually tell by a quick sight down the length of the neck. It does happen, but is not that common. If that is the case, then the neck is a lost cause. However, as others have already said, I would first adjust the relief of the neck. If that is OK then I would check for high fret or two. Frets do lift occasionally over time. They can also wear unevenly. All that is fixable at little to no cost. Don't despair. :( You most likely have a situation that is easily remedied. :)

Oh, and find a qualified tech for your repairs and adjustments.

Edited by Budbear