Why become a member? ×

What is the worst thing about music?

leadubblebass

I'm struggling to think of a 'worst thing' about music... it's like trying to find the worst thing about custard (answer = it doesn't come out of the tap in my kitchen on demand).

I suppose for me it [i]might[/i] be something like its addictive, time-consuming, GAS-inducing qualities. And maybe in my youth some of the tribalism it was responsible for.

Edited by Skol303

[size=4][quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1362662218' post='2002903']...my current bugbear is people who want to be in bands, but aren't realistic about how much time they're able to devote to it...[/quote][quote name='yepmop' timestamp='1362662201' post='2002902']For me it's probably uncommitted/time wasting musicians, for example you have a practice session and the keyboard player suddenly says "I haven't learnt those songs yet" (while everyone else did)...[/quote][/size]
[size=4]I've had more than my fair share of this crap, there's nothing worse - thank God my current band are all very committed.[/size]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1362648949' post='2002571']
I read that as a mini rant about people who are only into 'crappy pop music' and the cult of celebrity, rather than quality music, and the subsequent difficulties of getting 'real' music into the industry. Of course I've been known to be wrong :-)
[/quote]

Not that specific, especially since the industry has long since become irrelevant to music. They'll turn up in various guises. The ones I have to deal with most are the buy all the gear some dead guy they listen to exclusively used, barely ever play, never listen to themselves (because that wouldn't be listening to the dead guy). Kind of a cult of personality, except instead of a personality, they have vintage gear. But their money spends as well as anyone elses. Interestingly, you get similar, but are actually keen on the music, but still gear obsessed, and they tend to be penniless. The other easily spotted classics are the ironic band t-shirt wearers, who have no clue about the associated music.

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1362659361' post='2002848']
Packing up afterwards :)
[/quote]

Within the frame of it having to do with music, the very best thing on the planet, I must agree with that one.

The tediousness of putting dots on sheets comes a very close second.

best,
bert

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1362672704' post='2003179']
[b]Travelling around with a bass on a bus/train.[/b]

That and the fact that momatter how good I get, I'll never be happy with that.
[/quote]

I used to hate that. Theres always some wag who has a comment, or shouts " Give us a tune then "

It's been said before in a round about way but for me it is snobbery - over taste in bands, over gear, whatever. It'd be boring if we all liked the same thing.

From my point of view if I wasn't obsessed with music I would be so much further down the career ladder, have more money and probably still be married. Thank god for rock 'n' roll!

[quote][url="http://basschat.co.uk/user/21952-bill-posters/"][color="#282828"]BILL POSTERS[/color][/url]

[b]Travelling around with a bass on a bus/train.[/b]

I used to hate that. Theres always some wag who has a comment, or shouts " Give us a tune then "[/quote]

"If you dance, I'll play" usually shuts them up. But if they agree then everyone's happy! Apart from the person trying to dance along to a randomn Tool bassline.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1362660625' post='2002870']
Is this a good point to bring up Eurovision?

[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21697205"]http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-21697205[/url]

I've never really understood the point of this contest More specifically, I've never understood why each country doesn't just enter their own recent no.1 chart hit - surely that's a better indication of a songs popularity than all the nationalistic and obviously biased voting nonsense.

Still, I never watch it so what do I know?
[/quote]

Apparently Tony Iommi has written or worked on one of the entries this year :blink: .

"Brotherhood of IronMan"??? :lol:

[quote name='Lifer' timestamp='1362676153' post='2003247']

"If you dance, I'll play" usually shuts them up. But if they agree then everyone's happy! Apart from the person trying to dance along to a randomn Tool bassline.
[/quote]

Never had that but I know several Tool basslines and I am on a train (bass wedged in) right now. So there may be a chance!

+1 for packing up afterwards

also:

being expected to play for nothing or a pittance
being expected to learn stuff without proper documentation (even a chord chart would be nice)
band members that refuse to gig when it conflicts with a social arrangement
insurance companies that want £x per year for you to drive in the rush hour for a day job, then they want £4x when you're the same driver in the same vehicle but going to a gig

People playing it too loud - that irritating buzz from someone elses "personal" music player, car stereos thumping and bands not playing at an appropriate level for the situation they are in (thinking the Dog & Duck is the O2). Yes, I'm old :(

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1362690028' post='2003510']
...car stereos thumping...
[/quote]

That's the one that gets me! And it's [i]never [/i]Mozart, is it? What really gets on my tits is the perpetrator's assumption that he (it's always a 'he') obviously has much better taste in music than you do - therefore it's [i]not [/i]noise pollution - he's actually doing you a favour!