Why become a member? ×

What is the worst thing about music?

leadubblebass

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1362651669' post='2002668']
The West Duggsville Jug and Country Band?!
[/quote]

What..? No, not them - though I haven't heard them yet ;)
No, these tossers are like a bunch of young conservatives dressed up as a folk band. Really, really tedious crap.

If music has become a chore, then do something else until you get the urge to start playing again.

IMO though if you're not really enjoying it then you are doing it wrong - playing the wrong kind of music, with the wrong people, doing the wrong gigs. If you do much more than jam with your friends in the practice room then it is going to start taking on the aspects of a job - and remember no-ones job is completely perfect. You just have to make sure that there is enough great stuff happening to counteract the small amount of bad stuff that you have to put up with.

For me the feeling I get when I'm up on stage playing the songs I have written is worth putting up with quite a lot of crap for. Luckily at the moment the crap level for what I do is very low.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1362656662' post='2002782']
I want to see that quote on the posters for their next tour. :D
[/quote]

:lol:[size=4] :blush: Well... y'know... ymmv and all. Kudos to them for their success and all really, but.... balls![/size]

Is this a good point to bring up Eurovision?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21697205

I've never really understood the point of this contest More specifically, I've never understood why each country doesn't just enter their own recent no.1 chart hit - surely that's a better indication of a songs popularity than all the nationalistic and obviously biased voting nonsense.

Still, I never watch it so what do I know?

For me it's probably uncommitted/time wasting musicians, for example you have a practice session and the keyboard player suddenly says "I haven't learnt those songs yet "(while everyone else did) or at the last minute guitarist says "can't make tonight's practice I have a cold" aaaaahhhhhhhhhh

my current bugbear is people who want to be in bands, but aren't realistic about how much time they're able to devote to it.

not working on parts between rehearsals, arriving late, not being able to free time up for rehearsals, that kind of thing...all because of 'no time'.

well, that 'no time' is costs [i]me[/i] time, when i'm working on parts between rehearsals, being on time, making time to rehearse...i could be up to other things.

[quote name='yepmop' timestamp='1362662201' post='2002902']
For me it's probably uncommitted/time wasting musicians, for example you have a practice session and the keyboard player suddenly says "I haven't learnt those songs yet "(while everyone else did) or at the last minute guitarist says "can't make tonight's practice I have a cold" aaaaahhhhhhhhhh
[/quote]

think we were expounding the same idea at the same time there !

The Mass produced selling sh*te and labelling it as fudge being pedalled by the likes of X-factor, voice etc...... very few have any real talent just a massive marketing machine behind them, sadly there are many decent bands and muso's who will never get the backing that allot of these cowell clowns get.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1362661573' post='2002893']
The worst thing is that some people don't get how important it is.
[/quote]

I'd say it's a lot more than 'some' people.

Wikipedia states that the biggest selling single ever is 'White Christmas" at 50m copies and "Thriller" is the biggest selling album ever at about the same. Those are worldwide sales.

Now that's a lot of copies but it represents a pretty tiny proportion of the population.

I reckon it would be fairer to say that music is incredibly important to some people but that most people are indifferent to it.