Why become a member? ×

What is the worst thing about music?

leadubblebass

For me Its the fact it can be all comsuming -you can spend hours praticeing, rehursing gigs etc, and somehow you allways feel you could do more Have not really been on the road for 6 years now but with fuel heading towards £150 per ltr I do see how life on the road can pay! Ability wise I feel I have been stuck in a rut for years -how do you move on from that? Even more time spent playing?

[quote name='leadubblebass' timestamp='1362613409' post='2002340']
For me Its the fact it can be all comsuming -you can spend hours praticeing, rehursing gigs etc, and somehow you allways feel you could do more Have not really been on the road for 6 years now but with fuel heading towards £150 per ltr I do see how life on the road can pay! Ability wise I feel I have been stuck in a rut for years -how do you move on from that? Even more time spent playing?
[/quote]

Be bloody thankful you have a passion that you're involved with. A great many people were never even given the opportunity to find out what their passions and natural aptitudes are :)

Edited by xilddx

I don't think there is a 'worst thing about being a musician'.

It can be hard work, but the most rewarding things in life often are.
It can be frustrating, but so is going shopping and using those automated 'self service' monstrosities.
It can be difficult getting over plateaus, but that's just everyday life.
It can be irritating trying to explain a concept to a fellow musician, but no more so than dealing with an offshore call centre.

Being a musician is just being a musician. :)

I don't know about the worst but having just had a great practice with the band there are far more positives to concentrate on.

If you feel stuck in a rut try playing a different type of music. I was there in the mid 90s. No rock music was influencing me so I got involved in a folky session and I've never looked back since then. Jazz got me back to the bass again 12 years ago and that gave me lots to learn. That has kept things fresh.

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1362615651' post='2002371']
The worst thing is the large number of w@nkers you get to meet. Having said that, I was thinking the other day of how I've met nearly all my friends though music in one way or another.
[/quote]

They're often the same people. :D

Alot of people seem to take a break during thier life from music, I did when I got fed up of going out gigging (not music) we all love music on here but it's hard to get the balance right at various stages of life, if you are not enjoying it change something, being sure to give notice so you don't let others down.

Not sure what you mean by life on the road? But if petrol money is an issue, then the gigs aren't worth agreeing to :)

Edited by lojo

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1362613608' post='2002345']
Be bloody thankful you have a passion that you're involved with. A great many people were never even given the opportunity to find out what their passions and natural aptitudes are :)
[/quote]

What a great post!! Love it B) :)

I don't really understand how there can be a 'worst thing' about something that is basically optional.

My own 'room 101' would probably involve being locking in a room with rap music blaring out 24/7, but so far I've managed to avoid that situation - unless Old Nick has something up his sleeve for my afterlife.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1362623078' post='2002417']
Realising the amount of people who don't like music but pretend they do anyway, and ruin everything for everyone who does.
[/quote]

Eh? How do you know exactly what "people" think about music, and to what degree they like it to? And even then, how does what other people think about music ruin it for you?

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1362648354' post='2002556']

Eh? How do you know exactly what "people" think about music, and to what degree they like it to? And even then, how does what other people think about music ruin it for you?
[/quote]

I read that as a mini rant about people who are only into 'crappy pop music' and the cult of celebrity, rather than quality music, and the subsequent difficulties of getting 'real' music into the industry. Of course I've been known to be wrong :-)

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1362615651' post='2002371']
The worst thing is the large number of w@nkers you get to meet. Having said that, I was thinking the other day of how I've met nearly all my friends though music in one way or another.
[/quote]

This.

The w***ers, bullsh*tt*rs and people who are too far up their own arses.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1362648949' post='2002571']
I read that as a mini rant about people who are only into 'crappy pop music' and the cult of celebrity, rather than quality music, and the subsequent difficulties of getting 'real' music into the industry. Of course I've been known to be wrong :-)
[/quote]

Yes, so did I, and that's why it annoyed me so much to write a reply.

I find I've become obsessed with music. I do a lot of it, and am happy with the way my musical life has and is progressing, but it does mean I don't have a career, or any money, and when I try explaining my motivations in life it all sounds rather stupid to most "normal" people.

I don't know if that's a bad thing? But it's the thing which bothers me most