Why become a member? ×

Squier v Fender

aceuggy

I'm new to the bass and didn't spend too much cash on gear, just in case it wasn't for me. I have to say now though that I love it and will no doubt want to upgrade to better equipment in the future. I would like your opinion. Do get what you pay for? Would a Fender P bass, for example, be worth the extra cash than my Squier P bass, will it sound, play better do you think? Any feedback will be welcome. Thanks.

[quote name='aceuggy' post='205703' date='May 24 2008, 09:16 PM']I'm new to the bass and didn't spend too much cash on gear, just in case it wasn't for me. I have to say now though that I love it and will no doubt want to upgrade to better equipment in the future. I would like your opinion. Do get what you pay for? Would a Fender P bass, for example, be worth the extra cash than my Squier P bass, will it sound, play better do you think? Any feedback will be welcome. Thanks.[/quote]

Yes and no depending on how much you spend. If you get a US or Jap P, then you will definately notice a difference. Teh quality of components will be better and teh wood will be better. You should be able to get a 1/2 decent sound out of your Squire and it should be capable of being set up properly....but is it worth the extra money? only you know that...

What you ought to be thinking rather than straight squire fo Fender upgrade, is:-

"is there a better bass out there for my kind of music and tehcnique"

There are literally hundreds of different types of bass.....

Is your squire the affinity or standard model, im quite new to bass playing myself (about 1 year ) as the standard squires are slightly better quality than the affinty series, ive never owned a squire bass so i cant really comment but everybody will say different things, some good some bad, personally i"ve heard the standard squire series are decent basses and are quite easy to upgrade, i upgraded my beginner bass a few weeks ago to a mex fender precision and im very impressed with it and its fairly cheap as well for a fender.
If i were you i would stick with the squire for the time being until you feel your ready to upgrade to a better quality bass. you dont need to go to fender as theres loads of excellent brands out there, i chose fender because i like the precision sound.
good luck with the learning, you will find loads of info on here, if you cant find what your looking for on here then its not worth knowing about.
better to own a squire than a no name knock off, but even no name knock offs can surprise people.

It really is personal choice...I prefer my MIM precision to many American versions I've tried...I have a Squier Jazz and upgraded the pups for under £20 and have a lovely sounding Bass...Go to shops and try different Guitars, you really will find your own preferences in the end...more importantly, if you have a sound YOU like with your Squier, then why change.

my advice to you and other new players (and myself) is turn off basschat and your computer with all the talk of better bass.
And turn on your bass amp and record player.

It's better that way.

(also untill you either buy a decent amp or play places with good amps you wont hear the diference if you have also have a cheap amp- ergo keep what you have until you are playing live in situations where you need a 'better' or different tone.)

Edited by LukeFRC

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='205777' date='May 25 2008, 12:48 AM']my advice to you and other new players (and myself) is turn off basschat and your computer with all the talk of better bass.

It's better that way.[/quote]

Never a wiser word spoken on this forum , once you start thinking about other basses you will find you're never content with what you have , plus you will find you spend more time on the forums than actually playing

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='205777' date='May 25 2008, 12:48 AM']my advice to you and other new players (and myself) is turn off basschat and your computer with all the talk of better bass.

It's better that way.

(also untill you either buy a decent amp or play places with good amps you wont hear the diference if you have also have a cheap amp- ergo keep what you have until you are playing live in situations where you need a 'better' or different tone.)[/quote]

+1

Thanks everyone for your input. Luke FRC I hear you and that is sound advice. I do actually like my Squier
bass, but I'm playing through a 15w Fender amp, which isn't powerful enough really. So my first upgrade will be the amp, but I will hang on to the guitar for a while at least.

[quote name='aceuggy' post='205703' date='May 24 2008, 09:16 PM']I'm new to the bass and didn't spend too much cash on gear, just in case it wasn't for me. I have to say now though that I love it and will no doubt want to upgrade to better equipment in the future. I would like your opinion. Do get what you pay for? Would a Fender P bass, for example, be worth the extra cash than my Squier P bass, will it sound, play better do you think? Any feedback will be welcome. Thanks.[/quote]

Its more about what bass actually feels and sounds best to you. I have owned a couple of Squier P's and I have always found that (IMO) the build quality is good enough that after changing the pots and pickups , the Squiers make for very solid basses. I have a modded Squier P that feels and sounds much better than its modest price tag suggests it should

And turn on your bass amp and record player.[/quote]

Thats some sound advice....

BUT

Record player,

Record player?

You sound like you're from the Dansette era.... :)

[quote name='aceuggy' post='206076' date='May 25 2008, 06:06 PM']Thanks everyone for your input. Luke FRC I hear you and that is sound advice. I do actually like my Squier
bass, but I'm playing through a 15w Fender amp, which isn't powerful enough really. So my first upgrade will be the amp, but I will hang on to the guitar for a while at least.[/quote]
Good man, get better amp, join band, play gigs, get hooked, life over, welcome! :)

[quote name='The Burpster' post='206326' date='May 26 2008, 07:57 AM']Thats some sound advice....

BUT

Record player,

Record player?

You sound like you're from the Dansette era.... :huh:[/quote]

i have a few phonograms but no dansettes :)
also have a hi-fi stereo turntable- wooo modern technology!

I have a bass (my Fecker Imprecision Bass) which is made from a Squier Affinity P bass body and neck I had lying around. I put some Fender Mex tuners I had lying around on it (had to ream out the holes), a Badass II bridge and a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder pickup and redid the electronics with CTS pots and an orange drop capacitor. Probably spent no more than £200 on it. Time, as an amateur hobbyist, is not factored in.

I can't comment on how it was when it was a complete Squier but what I have now is a very playable bass. I let my guitarist mate (who used to play bass and still has a rather lovely Tokai Hard Puncher in his collection which I covet occasionally) have a go and he was impressed with how well it played.

All it needs now is a body refinish - some of the original silver was lifted clean off by the previous owner removing a sticker and there's numerous dings and bumps in it. I'm thinking about going for something hideous like Surf Green - so bad it's good.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there's nothing wrong with the basic construction of a Squier, just the hardware could do with upgrading.

Remember that any maker, any country, any time can make a "Friday afternoon special". If it feels good, then it is good.

[quote name='Talon' post='205730' date='May 24 2008, 10:13 PM']I prefer my MIM precision to many American versions I've tried...[/quote]

Here here! although I'm not sure about mexican pickups. My new MIM precision sounds much better with US pickups. Much more going on - the stock one was a bit lifeless compared to my other MIM which has a factory fitted US pickup.

A balance of amp / bass is important too. you'll find it easier to get a better sound of of a better bass with a wider variety of amps. Similarly better amps sound better with a wider variety of basses. Although it's possible to get a decent tone out of a cheap bass and cheap amp - it'll be harder work.

I always think of better gear taking some uncertainty out of the equation.

I've hot rodded a couple of squiers, and the results have been very encouraging. At least with a squier p bass you can mod it pretty easily as the components (pickups, tuners, bridge, nut etc..) are standard sizes. Many manufacturers offer upgrades for these at varying prices.
As stated earlier though, if there's nothing holding you back with your bass as it currently stands; leave it alone.

[quote name='thewalruswaspaul' post='205954' date='May 25 2008, 01:28 PM']Never a wiser word spoken on this forum , once you start thinking about other basses you will find you're never content with what you have , plus you will find you spend more time on the forums than actually playing[/quote]

+1

Im never happy, stuck with a crappy P bass + amp for nearly 2 years, then I must have spent way over a grand in about 6 months and I still want more stuff. Doesnt make me a better player.

It's not really about making me a better player, though. Basses are nice things to own. I enjoy just looking at mine and knowing they're decent instruments gives me a bit more confidence when I play in public. None of mine were very expensive, but I've luckily been in a position to jump on some good deals when they came along. I'd like more too - but then if I had a Ferrari I'd probably still think it would be nice to have a Maserati.

[quote name='neepheid' post='207121' date='May 27 2008, 11:22 AM']All it needs now is a body refinish - some of the original silver was lifted clean off by the previous owner removing a sticker and there's numerous dings and bumps in it. I'm thinking about going for something hideous like Surf Green - so bad it's good.[/quote]

You mean something like this

[url="http://www.deanguitars.com/summer06/zone_bass_lg.htm"]Link to hideous bright green bass guitar[/url]

[quote name='markdavid' post='207501' date='May 27 2008, 07:51 PM']You mean something like this

[url="http://www.deanguitars.com/summer06/zone_bass_lg.htm"]Link to hideous bright green bass guitar[/url][/quote]

No I mean more like this: