Why become a member? ×

Bass Collection, anyone?

bigsmokebass

Hey guys,

Just been checking up on the old Bass Centre: with them not stocking so much online anymore, I don't tend to look so often.

My first question is, would i be right to believe Bass Centre commissioned these basses from the start or was there been a company before or did they just adopt the logo?

I'm quite fascinated in Bass collection, I think it was early last year or later BGM reviewed two models, the Jive (Jazz) and Power (Precision) basses and they seemed to have a good reaction. "Best bass under £300" I believe the quote was, which seemed to be a good price mark between Fender MIM and Squier.

Has anyone tried any of these basses, new or old? (Inc Speakeasy models)
They have the P and J copies but also noticed a Ricki copy too, do they actually feel and sound anything like the origional artifacts?

I'll be pleased to hear some opinions :)

BSB

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1362268511' post='1997894']
They certainly looked nice at the bass show today. Power has passive EMG type pickups, Detroit just states passive pickups, so that`s probably where both the power, and the difference come in.
[/quote]

Thank you good sir, take it you had a splendid day? ;)

[quote name='cytania' timestamp='1362229554' post='1997251']
What I don't understand is the difference between the Detroit bass and the Power bass. Both would appear to be Precision copies?
[/quote]

I'm also confused by this, been meaning to drop into the bass centre to try one and find out exactly what the differences are.

From their website, it appears that the Detroit bass is a Power bass with the addition of chrome covers and flats.

I've played a Jive bass owned by a mate recently, and they are good for the money IMO - certainly comparable with any Squiers or MIM Fenders I've tried.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1362329737' post='1998449']
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/697-obscure-musical-backwaters/page__hl__obscure"]http://basschat.co.u...ge__hl__obscure[/url]
[/quote]

Thank you Mr Jack, made a good read and a lot of questions answered.

If i'm honest, i'm more interested in the Bass Centre, Bass Collection as something i'd invest in just on the basis of "familiar" designs and expectancies, although i know many of players have used and spoke a lot about the SGC Nanyo instruments, both seem alright for the price.

BSB

[quote name='6v6' timestamp='1362326937' post='1998407']
I'm also confused by this, been meaning to drop into the bass centre to try one and find out exactly what the differences are.

[/quote]

That is no longer an option. It hasn't been a shop for several years.

Have to say that if I were looking for a Jazz, Bass Collection or otherwise, there's only one contender: this Bass Collection II that ryancowell25 has for sale in the Bass Guitars forum. There's no comparison between this and the modern stuff.

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/200158-for-sale-price-drop-ns-bolin-5-l825-and-bass-collection-ii-jazz-l360-delivered-with-hard-cases/

• 5 years later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, hubrad said:

That means you've had it about a month now.. how's it going?

It’s great, they were in a mad rush when I ordered it and I had to tweak the setup which I was surprised at as I was told it would be very well setup, I took it to a friends to compare with an American P bass and it’s just as good in my opinion, particularly the pickup, in fact now I have tweaked it to how I like it the neck is really great,  much better setup than my friends P

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sibob said:

I have a Jive fretless in Gold and it’s really very good. Excellent finish, nice neck, Omega (badass copy) bridge. 

7632C879-12A6-405B-A587-2134DC89291D.thumb.jpeg.a9a3622ce9b587ff8ae62558ea4d8f4f.jpeg

Great track Si - I love that tone and it sits very well in that mix, very tempted by these now. I just hope the picture above is not to scale!

• Haha 2

I was very tempted by the Bruce Thomas Profile bass  but every picture I've seen of one has the pole pieces on the D and G really out of alignment with the strings. The tort pickguard is cut wrong on every one, with the outside poles of the A and D directly on top of each other. Check out how a real P has it's pickups positioned for reference.

You don't notice this on the first Profile Bass run with the blank covers of course.

Lovely looking and sounding bass but considering all the work they put in with the prototypes getting it 'right', that is a massive schoolboy error! Does kind of make me wonder what else they've missed..

5 hours ago, miles'tone said:

I was very tempted by the Bruce Thomas Profile bass  but every picture I've seen of one has the pole pieces on the D and G really out of alignment with the strings. The tort pickguard is cut wrong on every one, with the outside poles of the A and D directly on top of each other. Check out how a real P has it's pickups positioned for reference.

You don't notice this on the first Profile Bass run with the blank covers of course.

Lovely looking and sounding bass but considering all the work they put in with the prototypes getting it 'right', that is a massive schoolboy error! Does kind of make me wonder what else they've missed..

I didn't notice such things on a pupil's Bruce Thomas Profile last year, but I must say it was a splendid bass! I'm no P bass afficionado, but it really grabbed me.

My 2018 Bruce Thomas was fantastic, I miss it and will buy another. Pickguard cut seemed fine to me, and pole alignment can be seen here:

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/333115-sold-bass-centre-bruce-thomas-profile-p-bass/

I've owned a '64 P, a Custom Shop '64, a Limelight P and the Bruce Thomas; and they were all pole-aligned slightly differently and all sounded superb. But the BT was the best value :)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry just found this thread .. I've got a Speakeasy Fretless that i use only on certain songs. Got it from a band mate who actually had a few... Im not a massive Fretless guy - but it plays really well. It has a quick neck and overall is well balanced.

Edited by Swijn

The Bruce Thomas profile was an instant favourite the moment I plugged it in. Can't believe you sold it Kev! Utterly superb instrument without a single fault I can find. Regular compliments on the sound, love the weight, balance, playability.

I'd love a gold Jive but with a black plate. 

Edited by stewblack
  • Like 1