Why become a member? ×

Stuff to do around Nashville area

wriggers

Just booked a place on the Victor Wooten Bass and Nature Camp outside of Nashville TN (how lucky am I). Wondering if anyone out there would share info (music, venues, cultural stuff) about Nashville and surrounding areas. I'll be renting a car for a week after the camp and travelling around. Any info gratefully received

Cheers

Paul

I flew to Nashville in the 90s and spent a couple of weeks driving around Tennessee, Alabama, Kentucky, Georgia etc. You're going to be spoilt for choice as to what to do. Get a good guide book of the States you're going to before you go.
Memphis and Nashville are a must with loads of music in those cities. I also visited a few Civil War sites and went to a NASCAR race.
I always think a Baseball game is worth going to (if you're there in the season) even if you're not into sport it's a good place for people watching as is a Stock Car meeting especially in those Southern states where it is still important to the locals. Some of those Stock Car meetings in the middle of nowhere are something else if you're into motorsport or enjoy see what the locals do for leisure. I found the locals really friendly and avoided the major food outlets and tried to drive off the main highways to eat in local diners where the locals eat.
Have a great time and i'm sure there won't be enough hours for you to do all you want to do!

I would go down Broadway, find Robert's Bar(opposite Ernest Tubb's record shop), buy a PBR and enjoy some great music. No cover fees in most of the bars but a donation is appreciated. Only had 2 days so never got to tour the area. Next time hopefully. Look out for Greg Garing who is a star, also Kenny Vaugan on guitar.

Edited by yanto

Hey dude - I am going to the Music / Nature camp (bass camp is during my vacation this year) and cannot WAIT! I think it is mostly bass players who will be at the Music / Nature camp anyways so hope I am not missing out on anything.. a friend of mine went to basscamp last year and said it was awesome so sure you will have a great time.

• 1 month later...

Have a fab time. I'm just back from a quick visit to Nashville, and loved every second. Truly the music capital of the world. I'm still in awe of not just the sheer number of bands I've seen there, but also the incredibly high quality of their musicianship.
I'm writing a blog about my visit, and may end up starting a separate thread for it when it's ready :) Please tell us about your experience once your camp is over!