Why become a member? ×

Any love for spector euro-lx

Basszilla

Any love for spector euro-lx models guys?

Had mine for 8 years or so. A 4-lx. Brilliant basses. They don't do everything but have a sound unto their own.

Pretty satisfied with the tonepump, never really missed the mid control of say an emg circuit as there's plenty of natural bite with these basses anyway.

I love mine anyway and it's always done an admirable job in the studio. Plenty of range between pups and the eq. Although intonationally speaking it seems slightly happier in e rather than drop d.

I'd love to have a blast on an ns-2.

Tim :-)

I absolutely love my Spector 5LX - dating from 2007 at this time the Spector TonePump active tone controls
did not have the internal output trim pot, that was added later in 2008.

I love the edgy, aggressive, red hot sound. Still capable of a wide range of tones in between.
Super comfortable 5'er neck as well - and absolutely beautiful.

Yeah mine's without the trimpot as well, although i've never had an issue with the high output no matter what amp or device i've hooked it up to.

These basses snarl. The emgs coupled with the woods, bridge and tonepump produce a sound that is as you say edgy.

I slimmed down my collection of 3 basses to just my euro 4-lx a while back. I prefer to concentrate on one instrument and part of the fun is learning to fit sonically where I choose to in the music that I play and record.

Spector nailed it when he said 'a bass for life' :-)

[quote name='Basszilla' timestamp='1362047090' post='1994853']
Would love to try one of those as i'm frequently back and forth between e and d.

The necks are indeed sublime. Nice thick fretboard on them. Like the narrow string spacing as well.
[/quote]

Stick a d-tuner on it?

I've got one on my cherry red Euro 4LX which I adore. It's such a great guitar, really punchy, articulate and does everything I throw at it.

I swapped the tonepump out for an EMG BTS (running at 18v or 24v) which I think sounds way better and is more flexible. I could never get my head around the "boost only" tonepump. Each to their own.

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:43371]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:43370]

T

Edited by tonyf

I saw a Spector Euro LX4 today....think it was a poplar natural burl? There was a black one as well but black doesn't interest me.

All I can say is WOW. They look superb.

I was never a Spector fan but their attention to detail is drawing me in. The through-neck quality is just amazing.

I didn't get chance to play it....it has two EMG humbuckers...if was a PJ I would have tried it out.

How much do these cost new nowadays?

Awesome basses. Build quality, tone, versatility etc. Neck profile more "P" than "J" but very comfy and the necks are very stable. I'm very lucky to be a Spector endorsee and I only sought that having used a Spector for a number of years. Currently alternating between a Euro 5 LX (an earlier solid maple one with an EMG circuit) and a US Bolt On. Each has their own voice but the Euro definitely holds its own. Can't rate them too highly.

Yeah they're total classics in their own right.

Not sure how much they are new nowadays, but i remember paying £1k back in 2004 for mine.

Yeah i may stick a detuner on there, but then again I don't mind muting my bass via tuner to tune. Main reason I wanted to try the 35" scale is the improved intonation in drop D.

Got a fresh set of high beam to stick on and it could do with a wax. Time for it's yearly m.o.t soon!!

I have a euro and I put in an Aguilar obp3 pre amp. Gives me much more sound scope great basses. Quite heavy after a long gig. But the sounds in the wood, but that's compared to my back up which is a very light bass collection sb320, which I put the tone pump in. Seems to work well in that bass with Bart pups!
I just wish the euro neck was thinner!

I have a rebop cherry red 4 string for sale if anyone knows someone who wants it!

Out of interest what amps do you all pair up with your spectors.

Running my Euro 4LX thru a GK MBFusion and 2 x 212MBE cabs and Hartke VXL pedal at the moment.
Interestingly, the neck on mine is nothing lile a precision shape, i use a Jazz as well and t doesnt feel much different - perhaps a touch more depth but the width isnt far off. Its an easy switch.
I have changed out the trimpot Tonepump for an EMG BQC system with sweepable mids and ts made a great bass even better.

It's the depth I have a slight issue with. Can play as quick or as fluid on more technical lines. I found the string spacing to be wider than the bass collection. But I prefer it for slap lines. Much easier on the Spector. I believe the doug wimbish model has a thinner neck. I am using a genz Benz 3.0 at the mo. But will be selling that for a 6.2 model. Just not quite loud enough despite going through p.a. Our function act blasts out dance and rocks tunes! Sound very clean through genz much better than my old abm 500. Uk made amp. I have played through GK 700rbii. That sounded great also.

I have just bought one new , the TW model ,emerald quilt maple , beautiful , beautiful guitar , I love it to bits and can't put it down . The knobs don't have detents but have a ridge on top so you can easily tell where they are , the range of tone is incredible, the depth and solidity gives you so much confidence , plays like a dream , the sustain is just forever , it pumps out quite a hot signal . I will get round to personalising the set up slightly , but out of the box its a winner .
I always played with a pick , but for some reason I feel a lot more confident finger style with this beauty, I am not sure why , I do still use a pick but I don't feel I have to , odd.
I have had GAS for the Emerald colour for years , and the gig money of the previous year just about covered enough to let me order it.
B) I am a very happy bunny

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1362226320' post='1997189']
I have just bought one new , the TW model ,emerald quilt maple , beautiful , beautiful guitar , I love it to bits and can't put it down . The knobs don't have detents but have a ridge on top so you can easily tell where they are , the range of tone is incredible, the depth and solidity gives you so much confidence , plays like a dream , the sustain is just forever , it pumps out quite a hot signal . I will get round to personalising the set up slightly , but out of the box its a winner .
I always played with a pick , but for some reason I feel a lot more confident finger style with this beauty, I am not sure why , I do still use a pick but I don't feel I have to , odd.
I have had GAS for the Emerald colour for years , and the gig money of the previous year just about covered enough to let me order it.
B) I am a very happy bunny
[/quote]

Nice one lurksalot!
Weird, but i know exactly what you mean about the pick/fingers thing. I had the same experience with mine - i think its something to do with the way it sits against you with the carved top and back. Just feels really natural to use fingers.

Best basses I've EVER owned/played (second only to my '80s NS2's....). To my mind nothing comes close in build/sound quality and overall feel to a Spector.That's why I endorse them and currently own more than 15+ Spectors.... B)

I owned and gigged an NS6 Euro but I prefer the solid maple NS5CRs. The Euros are broadly warmer with the alder wings but the maple wings have more growl and punch. On small stages I don't miss the warmth and if I ever need it there's always a bass control on the bass or the amp to tweak. But the narrow band of mid punch can't be replicated on eq.

It's funny, I had my sights set on a Euro 5. I knew I loved the sound and my previously owned Korean-made Spector was absolutely brilliant but was a string short! So I attended the London Bass Guitar Show this weekend and I really couldn't get on with it. The neck was nice and the body shape was lovely but the 5th string didn't feel too great time. It's a shame really as I genuinely love the sound of them.

Unfortunately a man by the name of Mr Dingwall will be getting my money instead... :-)